Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comp lags after game closes

I have a problem here which I have asked around and no one seems to have this problem but me. So far out of all the games that I have it only happens with two of them. The Metal of Honor Demo and True Combat. Basically after playing the game and after closing the game my computer will respond VERY VERY SLOWLY. I would say worse then the lightning fast 386's. RIght after the game closes my screen will turn black and I'll see desktop icons appear in groups of 1 or 2 at 1 second intervals. Once I see my entire desktop the clock will be visible but in a white batch area. Once everything visibly turns back to normal. I have found a solution. However adnormal the worst part is I know how to fix it? Anyway I open my computer and close it 3 times then I open up internet explorer and minimze and restore it 3 times then I close it and hit the start button twice. It seems to work but should I have to put up with this?

It sounds like a memory management issue. You probably don't have enough virtual memory, or your RAM usage is configured badly. Check the Tweaktown front page for a link to my new WinXP guide - read it, follow it and your problems should be solved.

Then you can send me money. Lots and lots of money.

If I sent you a million dollars you can buy your self about 33 1/2 Camaro SSes. Anyway are you talking about the fomat to relax guide? If so I had already read it and next time I get the chance I will probably do most of them. As for the guide that was posted a few months ago. I'm talking about the certain tweak of disabling paging executive so that the XP kernal runs in memory. I don't like that at all casue it fills up my physical memory very fast I leave my comp on 24/7 without rebooting and that can surely get annoying. As for my configuration I have 256Meb of ram as you can see in my signature and 768meg of virtual memory.

Not sure if I want to buy 33 Camaros seeing as how I'm a Mustang man myself (had a sweet little 66 stang for a few years...)

Anyway I didn't know about your swapfile but it sounds big enough, especially if its a fixed 768MB. And yes I was talking about the new WinXP guide because I wrote it so it's the best one :)

im thinking the game did not close fully so check your task manager for loose ends

to be honest i have had similar issues, i have found doubling your ram and reducing pagefile fixes it...

the other solution is to drop back to windows 2000 :D
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Quote Originally Posted by sKuLLsHoT
    to be honest i have had similar issues, i have found doubling your ram and reducing pagefile fixes it...
    That's an indication that your hard drive and disk cache aren't optimal. Sometimes after I exit a large game like Morrowind (I have 512MB RAM, 768MB swapfile) I do get a couple seconds where the wallpaper refreshes itself along with the icons.

More memory obviously helps that, but instead of cutting down the swapfile, the memory tweaks in my guide (and those before it) optimize the way your games use the RAM, optimize the hard drive speed, and most of all reduce reliance on the swapfile unlesss absolutely necessary.

[b]the other solution is to drop back to windows 2000 :D
    Don't do it kid!! Step away from the ledge!! We'll council you through this so you never have to consider something that drastic :D

Damn, when you mention memory tweaks are we talking about disabling large system cache? Or paging executive or something like that. I once did use that tweak where the XP kernal did run in ram the computer was a little faster but for the speed it wasn't worth it because eventually RAM would fill up and I'll be using my virtual memory. So that would cause me to reboot every once in a while. Things like taht I reallly want to avoid.

Unfortunatley i too have found the only way to fix these sort of problems is to increase the ram, or try to tweak the paging file/cache settings. U've probably heard this before but Xp will only run for approx 26 days(at optimal settings) before needing a reboot, so unfortunatley reboots are inevitable
    "make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...."

Help solve the gene mystery join us at the TweakTown Folding@home Team

A pub - ahh yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence, by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks. - taken from red dwarf

24 days is more then 3 weeks......I reboot my computer probably every 3-4 days or so. Some times every like every 3 weeks I'll even have it off for a night and give everything a break. Well as soon as ram prices come down again I'm gonna probably buy a 512meg stick and get myself 768 or should I get a 512 and then sell the 256 stick. Either way I usually have virtual memory set to 3 times the amount of physical mmeory. Its my rule of thumb.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information