Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOHAA rules...

Beefy, I'm dissapointed in you. ;)

It makes no difference what is supported when the game ships. Thats what mods are for. Mods are everything. And iD makes easier to mod games than anyone.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Beefy Guest

But.... but.. :) good point there I guess. In which case it will simply be the many uses of the Doom 3 engine we will see used accordingly, but not Doom 3 itself.

Yes, but you still need a real copy of Doom3, and then the mods I am referring to are completely free, made by mod teams, who are either doing it for fun, for their future resume's, or for paypal donations through their main site. Q2 has had 85 successful online mods, and Q3 has had 45 popular online mods, that number down for no other reason than the very popular Counter Strike. It was a result of bad timing, nothing more. CS came out, still not even requiring a GL enabled card to play, a WHOLE Boatload of newbs started playing it, and then when they upgraded their computer to finally be able to play Q3, they were set in their ways and unwilling to try anything else.

But as we've discussed before, until Australia's government sees the incredible economic value in the internet, mods will be of little use to you guys. Because many Q3 mods were 50-150 meg base installs (sometimes more), so you'd have a hard time downloading them, Much less playing them online with low pings. Just to give you an idea, here in the US, you'd have to play Q3, or CS online for at least a few hours before seeing someone pinging higher than 200. Thats how capable our internet has become.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Beefy Guest

Zeradul, it's mainly rural areas in australia that have crappy internet, and even that is getting better (slowly). I've finally been able to get access to ADSL, so my online gaming has shot way up. but anyways...

I'm standing by what I said. Sure, mods and all are great, but I want to see what other computer can do with the doom 3 engine. ie: the Quake 3 engine was used in how many games? Medal of Honor? Return to Castle Wolf? Soldier of Fortune 2? (could be wrong, but you get the idea). They didn't simply make a mod for the original game, they grabbed that engine and made vast changes.. (ie: SoF2 implementing the GHOUL 2 system, for really cool locational damage and effects).

The main reason I'm not so happy with mods is basically CS. Sure, it was good to start with, but people really do have to move on. It's exactly like you said. People were too set in their ways and not willing to play something else.

In all my years of gaming / LANning, I've only really seen two mods that actually stand out.. and that is CS and DoD. Sure, there have been plenty of other good ones out there, but they just never became as widespread as those two.

Nothing beats Day of Defeat. It's a HL Mod and beats any retail WW2 online game out there hands down. How many retail games get compared to free games in their review and LOSE!!. MOHHA and RTCW both got compared to DoD and lost. Try it out if you already haven't.

Beefy Guest

I'd like to see some evidence of that myself. I'm not saying that DoD is crap.. it's actually quite good. But I don't quite believe that it outscored RtCW and MoH:AA... Those games got rave reviews when they came out. It's a shame they came out at the same time. People couldn't decide which way to go.

my 900mhz gf3ti200 system with 384mb ram gets regularly 20fps in MOHAA! W-T-F! :thumbs do

DoD was just more fun. Simple as that. Its team-oriented gameplay was far superior to RtCW or MOH:AA multiplayer. In DoD you cannot go off by yourself and be a productive member of the team. You need to co-ordinate your attacks, you need to work out how to maximise your reinforcements and you need to do it on-the-fly. DoD is the only one of the 3 that makes me sweat while playing. The other two are a walk-in-the-park.

Not that MoH:AA doesnt get enough attention at LANs, but as soon as 3 or more people start shouting out 'DoD' time, the console lights up with 'xxx has left the game' messages. :)

RtCW.....blegh. Not worth the time to even install it. Single OR multi.

MoH:AA single was nothing short of amazing. But then again, all the MoH games have been the same. The expansion for the PC version has been out for a while now. Check it out. PSX has all the old classic MoH games, and the PS2 is continuing with the MoH franchise as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information