Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My No Offence Question

I ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND OF MINE RUNNING LINUX DISSCUSION GROUPS AT BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSTORES USED TO BE EXPOSED TO LINUX'S ALLEDGED GREATNESS

THAT WASS LIKE 4 YEARS AGO - IVE GOTTEN A PC SINCE THEN - LINUX IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND - ON THE GAMING SHELF - THE 5 GAMES THAT ARE OUT I HAVE ON THE PC - SO WHY THE PENGUIN? WHY LINUX?

I MEAN THIS IN THE NICEST WAY IM SO CURIOUS - BUT CONFUSED AS TO WHAT THE HELL YOU WOULD DO WITH A LINUX BASED SYSTEM - WHAT PLAY QUAKE III?:shoot3:

No need to bloody shout mate.

sorry - cheers:shoot3:

If I had to answer that question, my first answer would be stabliity. I can't remember where, but Microsoft lists the number of days that Windows can go without a reboot. I don't have the exact numbers, but, Windows 9x were like 6 days, WinNT and 2000 were around 30, and WinXP was around 45. It seems like everything you do on a Windows machine forces you to reboot. <sarcasm>Oh yeah, i just saved this word document. I must reboot</sarcasm>. The thing I like about linux is you don't have to reboot unless you do something to the kernel or something of that nature.

Security. Ever seen the ammount of security holes they find in Microsoft products? There's at least one a week. Linux, virtually none. And if there are, they're fixed a hellova lot quicker than in the Windows

Lastly, it returns control to where it needs to be. Me. It's my computer, I don't want some company or software telling me what to do with it.

Did I mention, it's free. Licencse

You're right about the gaming front. that's what kept me away from Linux for a long time. That doesn't matter to me though. As computer games have never held a candle to console games. All I can say is Metal Gear Solid/2. But, Quake 3 on Linux obliterates Quake 3 on Windows. On the exact same machine.

Later

At least with Linux you can look around the web and know that yopu are reasonably secure (not totally) and not have to worry about all the Window$ vulnerabilities etc etc and having to continually patch the M$ seive.

Bill
    The older I get...the better I was

its bold to say that pc games dont hold a candle to console titles - ive been a console guy my whole life - atari to ps2 (sorry no xbox - ever) but really metal gear solid 2 was - well...boring and a let down to most just like final fantasy x was trash - granted pc games are just now really trancending console limitations - my gforce 4 enabled rig blows apart and and every console ever made probably more than all those sissy machines combined - im moving into a new place and the first things i sold for extra cash - ps2 and gamecube - why? i still come home to counterstike jedi knight ii solder of fortune 2 f1 2001 madden 2003 medal of honor warcraft ii the sims il sturmovik galactic battlegrounds - i bought a high end pc in feb just to play medal of honor and return to castle wolfenstein - fully optimized @ 16x12x32 - since then ive learned so much like 12x10x32@85htz refresh is optimal for me - read that 12x10x32 - thats twice the resolution of anything on any console. period - and1.8 ghtz is like six and a half times the processing power of a ps2 2 and a half times an xbox (xbox- just a nforce mobo in a black x shaped box) and all the multiplayer thing you can do with pcs you just cant with consoles - ive played ps2 online - it isnt pretty - seriously you cant appreciate crash bandicoot and mario as gaming experiences next to say morrowind or medal of honor - games like this are few and far and when fully optimized with the dolby digital turned way up they bleed of a gforce4 enabled 19 inch monitor

i guess ill save my breath for the next round...:shoot3:

Ok, I would like to say that I'm not pissed. But, you have found one of my pet peeves. Here we go.

That's funny though that out of my whole argument, all you got was that PC games don't hold a candle to console games. I mean really that was a linux question.

I've also been a console gamer my whole life. Same era as you, Atari to PS2. You should consider yourself an intelligent gamer then. But, why would you play these mindless games? I don't know about you, but I like to play games with stories. I'm not saying I dislike any of these games, I actually like a few of them. But, Half life had an ok story, Counter Strike had none. Jedi Knight, SoF2, MoHAA, had weak stories. Don't even get me started on sports games, they're not games. The Sims, again is there a story. I avn't played Il Sturmovik or Galactic Battlegrounds. From what I hear Il Sturmovik a World War II era digfight. Sounds good, but story's been reused too many times. I'm sorry but the stories in console games as a whole are better than those on the PC.

The argument that you're powerful computer is near double the speed of these consoles is moot. BECAUSE IT'S NOT. Actually, your Geforce 4 rig would barely make a mark on one of these consoles. It would not stand a chance against the newest. You and other people need to stop focusing on speed ratings and learn the truth before you bring that argument. People just went ape when they saw the XBOX had a 733MHz Celeron. They were like, it's gonna be the most powerfull. IT'S NOT.

Comaring CISC and RISC processors is not even a comparison. If you have an 800MHz CISC processor, and an 800MHz RISC processor, the RISC always win. If that's the situation, RISC processors are roughly double the speed of CISC processors. CISC = complex instruction set computer(ing) , these are processors like your Athlon, and that insanely weak, high clocked chip in the XBOX. They have to be double the speed to even attempt to keep up with RISC processors. RISC = reduced instruction set computer(ing). Processors like big boy, Alpha, and the Emotion Engine in the PS2, or the Power PC in theGameCube. They just own little CISC chips. Check this out. Now I'm in no way an Apple fan, but their article is not biased and describes my point exactly. http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/

About multiplayer on Consoles vs PCs. Both are gonna suck if you have a stupid connection. You're telling me that you dont get high pings on your PC when using a dialup? I'll tell you what though, I'm using my broadband connection, and it works fine. I would even go farther to say that the games are more even. Except for the connection, You're all on equipment of the same power. I havn't heard anyone say "I'm getting low frame rates, that's not fair, your computer is faster than mine."

You're telling me that you get as high polygon models with your PC as I do with my consoles. I think not. Games for the PC don't even get close to the pushing number of polygons on screen as today's consoles do. I'd like to see the PC that can calculate 6 million polygons on screen with full effects at 60 fps. There isn't one. I also don't care if you get 255 - 300 FPS in Quake 3. That game takes no processing power. It's models are not complex. High FPS don't count if you're rendering only 10 polygons.

It's also funny that you mention to me that you're running these games fully optimized @ 16x12x32. I admit that's a nice machine you have. It's nice that you can play at these resolutions. So can I. I'm sure you're running at those resolutions with max effects on and getting good FPS. But the level of the detail still doesn't come close to what consoles provide. On your PC, it's not good that you're taking more power to put more on the screen and basically "squeeze" the pixels together. It's still the same level of detail. Just "squished" to look crisper. I know those aren't techinical terms, and the that the actual pixels don't move. But you get what I mean.

Beefy Guest

Wow.. this is bringing back some memories from the gaming forum. If you guys wanna continue this, i'll move it, otherwise can we sorta stick with LINUX here?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Wow.. this is bringing back some memories from the gaming forum. If you guys wanna continue this, i'll move it, otherwise can we sorta stick with LINUX here?
    I totally agree Beefy. This has nothing to do with linux anymore, so I'm going to close it and you guys can start a thread in the gaming forum if you want to keep arguing.

EDIT by Beefy: Moved it anyways, so they can keep going at it.

Beefy Guest

OK, this has been all said before, but I'm gonna chuck in my 2c as well..

Console gaming and PC gaming are really very different. With console gaming, developers know what they are working with, so they can do the best they can with the system and not have to worry about incompatibilites, whereas with PC gaming, there are so many different types of computers out there, made of up many many different variables, that PC game makers have to make games to suit their market, which is usually no where near full specification to some of the high end machines. They also have to make sure it is fully compatible with the majority of parts out there, which usually leads to cutting back on nifty little features that only some PCs will support. That's why we haven't seen any true DirectX 8 games yet, and probably won't until the new generation of things start coming out, like Doom 3.

So comparing game through graphics between console / PC is really a waste of time.

This argument has been had before, but i'm quite willing to go through it all again...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information