Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will getting more RAM improve BF1942 for me?

Hey PI, you seem like a lad in the know.

Got a Q for ya.

Why does enabling hardware acceleration decrease performance? i thought the theory of it was to increase performance by taking more of the duties away from the processor and doing it on board, similar to a hardware modem?

I don't really know why either. In theory hardware acceleration, if supported by your card, should speed things up by taking some of the load off the CPU. Similar to the way in which graphics cards work.

In practice it seems that hardware acceleration is not being implemented correctly by developers, or they're having problems making it completely compatible with all sound cards. I'm sure some of it has to do with drivers as well.

Bottom line is unfortunately you can't assume that hardware acceleration will improve your performance.

Remember though, that you have to make sure the basics are OK. That is, your drivers should be up to date, you've got the DirectX8.1 or higher, your sound card is not sharing an IRQ with another major device, you've got the correct settings in Control Panel>Sound & Audio Devices, etc.

I got my 1gb of ram now and it does help a little but not a whole lot. I was going to get it up to 1gb anyways, so it wasn't just for BF1942. I was wondering what some good settings are for the cache sizes, ya know those virtual memory and junk.

Anybody have any good instructions?
    ---------------------------

~~Money is for nothing, chicks for free~~

WinXP Tweak Guide

As I said, more RAM wasn't your problem, although 1GB is pretty sweet to have, so well done.

The stuttering is more to do with your hard drive being a bottleneck. I mean if the file cache isn't optimized for example your hard drive just cannot line up information fast enough for the graphics card, and even with 1GB the whole game will not load up into your RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by But_Why
    Hey PI, you seem like a lad in the know.

Got a Q for ya.

Why does enabling hardware acceleration decrease performance? i thought the theory of it was to increase performance by taking more of the duties away from the processor and doing it on board, similar to a hardware modem?
    I think you will find the that the sound cards are not taking the complete load of sound processing and parts of the tasks are being handed to the CPU and memory to assist.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    I think you will find the that the sound cards are not taking the complete load of sound processing and parts of the tasks are being handed to the CPU and memory to assist.
    Almost defeats the purpose of it don't it?
    I must admit, it doesn't sound as cool without the hardware acceleration. I could notice quite a few differences when i turned em off.

PI, gonna check out the XP guide too, cos 1942 seems to chug hard out on the HDD when loading/unloading.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information