Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GTA3 is messed up with my ATI video card!

Anybody else have problems running GTA3 with an ATI Radeon 9500 pro video card? When a pole falls ontop of your car and crushes it you can climb back in it and still drive it aroud with the pole attached to the car, this looks cool but all the people walking around will also have between 1 and 20 poles sticking out of their heads :wow: .

I've got the latest drivers for my card and I'm 99% sure I have the latest patch for GTA 3 (vers 1.1). Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

"this looks cool but all the people walking around will also have between 1 and 20 poles sticking out of their heads" :wow:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by The__tweaker
    "this looks cool but all the people walking around will also have between 1 and 20 poles sticking out of their heads" :wow:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, what actually happens is this, after 7 minutes into the game (GTA3), triangular poles start to appear, petruding from people, cars, and buildings. The game runs normal for about 7 minutes then the above will happen. I posted this on the GTA bboard (http://www.gtaforums.com/ib/ikonboar...T;f=43;t=89162) and have had alot of good replies but nothing has solved the poblem yet (I'm SG64). I've eliminated cooling as the problem although others would still tend to differ. My next step is to swap video cards.

Post a pic, I wanna see. :)

I thought cooling issues as well, but as you have already tried that, you might have to investigate other options. Does the card have trouble playing other games? or is it just gta3?

Ok here's my suggestion:

I scratched and cursed for a couple of days when I switched from a nVidia GF3 Ti200 to a Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro. The game wouldn't start, so I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, installed the patch, etc... numerous times.

I even emailed the support team at Rockstar and they told me to do the exact same thing.

What the developers seem to have forgotten that there is a texture file stored in your "My Documents\GTA3 USer Files" called "gta3.set". This entire directory is not changed when reinstalling.

If your texture file is corrupt, even from a driver upgrade, the problem will not go away until that texture file is rebuilt.

My advice to you: Copy the entire directory first. Delete "gta3.set". Restart your computer. Start the game and have it recompile your graphics set again.

If you have multiple users on your computer, you will have to delete that file from each of their \My Documents\GTA3 USer Files\ directories, since it is saved locally for each user's preferences.
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Ok here's my suggestion:

I scratched and cursed for a couple of days when I switched from a nVidia GF3 Ti200 to a Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro. The game wouldn't start, so I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, installed the patch, etc... numerous times.

I even emailed the support team at Rockstar and they told me to do the exact same thing.

What the developers seem to have forgotten that there is a texture file stored in your "My Documents\GTA3 USer Files" called "gta3.set". This entire directory is not changed when reinstalling.

If your texture file is corrupt, even from a driver upgrade, the problem will not go away until that texture file is rebuilt.

My advice to you: Copy the entire directory first. Delete "gta3.set". Restart your computer. Start the game and have it recompile your graphics set again.

If you have multiple users on your computer, you will have to delete that file from each of their \My Documents\GTA3 USer Files\ directories, since it is saved locally for each user's preferences.
    I tried my GeForce 4 Ti4200 video card in the system and now I don't get the wacky bars anymore but something I didn't mention here before is that I did get an occasional lockup when playing P.C. games (It seems to happen only when playing P.C. games).

When I put the ATI card back in, I'll try deleting that file and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Ok here's my suggestion:

Update; Hey thanks a mil! Deleting that GTA3.set file solved the problem.:)

Thread Information