Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 20 of 185 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Default Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

@badshah123 - Which ports are you using on the motherboard? The directions I posted are for the yellow ports. You have to create the modified driver and install it before you enable AHCI in the bios. If you have both Yellow and Purple SATA ports then you need to put the drive into the yellow ports, and you need to enable AHCI in the proper place in the bios.

I think you mentioned that the detection was colourful which means you are using the purple ports on the motherboard and the corresponding Gigabyte JMicron AHCI detection in the bios, you need to use the other yellow port Intel based SATA bios option.
    In my P35-DQ6 bios I have SATA AHCI/RAID mode and below it I have SATA port0-3 native mode.
    Then further down I have onboard sata/ide device and onboard sata/ide ctrl mode.

If you look here, GA-EP45-UD3P Peripherals, you need to be modifying the top two entries for the yellow ports, or entries 17 and 18 for the purple ports. Then make sure the boot drive is connected to the proper port.

Another possible cause to your problem is if you have multiple hard drives, when you enable AHCI, you might need to save the settings then go back into the BIOS when AHCI mode has been saved to reset the boot order as the boot order changes when modifying the SATA operating mode.
    The problem you might be seeing is that the first boot device might be a hard drive which only contains data and no operating system.
    Last edited by infiniti25; 02-07-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks Infiniti. I am not using the purple ports. I am only using the intel yellow Sata ports. I have six yellow ports and 2 purple ports. I think your last statement is probably applicable to me. I have multiple sata hard drives. I will go in BIOS and change the boot order and post my results. I have one more question before I enable AHCI again. I do have IDE DVD drive as well. Any impact on IDE drive when I enable AHCI?

second question - I am only changing first entry to AHCI. Do I have to enable "SATA port0-3 Native" as well?

Thanks
    Last edited by badshah123; 02-07-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Setting to native is what I have always done, its to support something thats newer than the IDE standard, but I forget what and having the legacy mode allows you to use the original standard drives. Most drives will not have a problem with IDE Native Mode enabled. I think its more a speed thing than a specification feature.

As for the IDE drive working under ACHI, I think that if its connected to an IDE port then the SATA AHCI doesn't affect it since its "SATA" AHCI ;)

Go for it, its possible as I and many others have performed that procedure in some form in both XP and Vista.
    Just dont make the mistake of trying to go the other way, I ended up with a deadlock in boot, I couldn't boot with AHCI enabled and I couldn't boot with it disabled. I ended up being saved by the purple ports and resolving the problem by installing the modified drivers again and reconnecting back to the yellow ports and booting with AHCI enabled.

thanks for but i sold my 1600EB and got a 1600lvk so no need to give so high volt ennymore! hehe
    UD5@Extreeme bios, I7 920@~ water cooled, OCZ 1600LV6GK, hd 4870x2 (Asus Top bios) water cooled. TX850w, LG 19" wide. 2x wd250ks sata raid 0 ( Win 7, 64bit)

Infiniti25 - Here is what I did in vista

1) I changed one registery key in Vista to enable MSAHCI.
    2) Changed BIOS (first two options) enabled AHCI and enable native ports.
    3) Restarted and went to BIOS again and fixed the boot order.

Everything worked. My real problem was not fixing the boot order. Thanks for your help!!

Excellent, glad to hear you got it fixed :)

Stick around and keep posting, I find it a tiny bit theraputic to spread the knowledge I have ;)

Just found this forum and I'm glad there is a place like this to help people.
    I just built this new system which I hope will last me for a couple of years.
    Jerry in NW Florida
    All Newegg Computer:
    *Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P LGA 775
    *Corsair Dominator 8 GB (4x2GB) DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2-8500) Dual Channel
    *Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4 GHz
    *Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro
    *MSI R4870 Radeon (HD) 1 GB
    *Enermax Liberty 620 Watts
    *SATA RAID 0 x 2 (2-WD 500GB & 2-SG 320 GB)
    *Lite-On Blu-Ray SATA iHES206-08
    +Depleted Bank Account @ $0

Welcome to TweakTown jerryel!
    There are a few people around here who will provided you very technical details if you need them! They will also help with all aspects of the motherboard including locating hard to find voltage information, overclocking help, power supply requirements, optimal bios settings to combine with the amount of RAM you have. In fact all things BIOS are covered in depth in the many stickies.
    LSDMEASAP is your main man, but he is a very sought after and busy forum dude, so if you do happen to have any problems or queries, just give it a day or two and he should be around to see you right ;)

Thanks for the welcome. I've already found some interesting information, especially on the memory (RAM) thread. I plan on overclocking but will wait a while since I'm still trying to figure out Vista 64. It's really a pain when setting it up with all one's devices and programs and I finally turned off that annoying User Account Control. MS had a good idea but I'm afraid many people just gave up on it because of the constant warnings and refusal to install/run some programs.

So far, I've found my scanner, web camera, and PowerMate (mouse-like device) won't work with Vista 64. Luckily my cheap Epson printer and Brother Label printer both work fine.

Little annoyances like extra clicks to just shut down or restart were solved with shortcuts I found on the Web but the ability to play Blu-Ray DVD makes up for a lot of those pesky things.

I can't get the Gigabyte EasyTune 6 to work since it upgraded itself the other day and SiSoft Sandra has lost the ability to test video for some reason. I suspect a driver problem.
    Jerry in NW Florida
    All Newegg Computer:
    *Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P LGA 775
    *Corsair Dominator 8 GB (4x2GB) DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2-8500) Dual Channel
    *Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4 GHz
    *Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro
    *MSI R4870 Radeon (HD) 1 GB
    *Enermax Liberty 620 Watts
    *SATA RAID 0 x 2 (2-WD 500GB & 2-SG 320 GB)
    *Lite-On Blu-Ray SATA iHES206-08
    +Depleted Bank Account @ $0

Regarding the extra clicks to do normal tasks, yeah they really screwed up on that, ESPECIALLY the networking. I want to see my network status regular to know what either my DHCP address is or to see if the connection is real or it created a false connection with one of those automatic private addresses.
    I think some things are well worth having in contrast to the downfall of the UI design, things like the better use of mutli-core processors because of the revamped SMP and the better support for large amounts hard disk space.
    Again, another flaw would be the amount of processes running "out of the box", but this is a motherboards and hardware thread :p

Onto hardware, if you download CPU-z and find out if your processor is a B3 stepping or a G0 95 watt edition, then I will give you some general bios settings for any overclock you achieve. Sure all chips are different even the same model from a different batch, but they have a lot in common.

I have a G0 with some watercooling by Swiftech and I am currently at 3.6ghz. Sure I could do it with air cooling, but I don't 100% know what the load temps will be with air cooling, and watercooling is well sorta predictable as long as the pump works ;)

Create a new thread for help on overclocking, sure there are lots of people with indepth knowledge on this, even other forums which have overclocking as their core hobby, but here you will find all you need and can expect to be told nicely, not talked to as though you dont belong.

Go forth and multiply!! (the FSB of course ;))

Thread Information