Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 38 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Can you test your ram in another setup? I would test that next.

If your ram tests ok, or if you cannot test it, try clearing the CMOS with one stick in slot one only. Here is my suggested method to clear the CMOS in Post #2 >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Default Easy tuner 6- readings and use.

Hello. I would like to be a casual over clocker. I do 3D rendering and not gaming.
    My system is a GA EX58-UD3R MB, Intel i7-920. 8 GB Kingston standard DDR3 memory and a Scythe Kama Angle cooler.
    My questions are about Easy Tuner 6.
    Core Temp .99 reports CPU idle temps around 34C and ET6 about 35C
    ET6 system temp shows 35C while an accurate dial thermometer shows 27C.
    Under 100% load testing (Prime 95) Core Temp Reports 66C and ET6 50C.

Question: Where is ET6 getting its informatioon? Why is it so different than Core Temp? Who should I believe?
    Question: What are the timings, etc. for the ET6 CIA2 levels?

I am not overly confident about messing with the BIOS.

Question: Will the Tuner Quick Boost settings make for a safe over clocking experience? Will I notice a difference in rendering speed?

Thanks.

Default Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    All boards treat AHCI and hot swap different. And of course so do all chipsets/drivers, so it very well may be your drivers. Have you asked Gigabyte Tech about this, or AMD?
    You are the first Gigabyte tech guy that I ran into(I usually do an internet search for help first). Geez there is no official gigabyte tech support forum!
    Certaily I will check out with the support of the dealer as well as AMD. Thx for the opinion!

Default Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R motherboard or BIOS problem.

I am having a devil of time tracking down a system halt problem with my Gigabyte MB and system.
    The computer will just halt. No message. No blue screen. No error reported in the System Events. Just a video displaying the last frame by the graphics card.
    The system is: Gigabyte EX-58 UD3r, BIOS level F6B, Intel i7-920, 8GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, 1TB disk space, Radeon HD4830 graphics. Windows XP Pro x64. Scythe Kama Angle cooler.
    I know, the F6B is a beta BIOS, but the problem was there in F4, F5.
    There is no fixed overclocking going on. Just the Easy Tuner "Full throttle" selection.
    The halt occurs at idle. No programmes running. No screen saver.
    ET6 is running in the tray. No sleep or hibernation mode is set.
    What is perplexing, Windows does not even know there was a system halt. On restart, Windows starts up as though nothing happened.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing the halt?

My next step is bite the bullet and buy a Dell.

Default Re: Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R motherboard or BIOS problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQCC View Post
    I am having a devil of time tracking down a system halt problem with my Gigabyte MB and system.
    The computer will just halt. No message. No blue screen. No error reported in the System Events. Just a video displaying the last frame by the graphics card.
    The system is: Gigabyte EX-58 UD3r, BIOS level F6B, Intel i7-920, 8GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, 1TB disk space, Radeon HD4830 graphics. Windows XP Pro x64. Scythe Kama Angle cooler.
    I know, the F6B is a beta BIOS, but the problem was there in F4, F5.
    There is no fixed overclocking going on. Just the Easy Tuner "Full throttle" selection.
    The halt occurs at idle. No programmes running. No screen saver.
    ET6 is running in the tray. No sleep or hibernation mode is set.
    What is perplexing, Windows does not even know there was a system halt. On restart, Windows starts up as though nothing happened.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing the halt?

My next step is bite the bullet and buy a Dell.
    The last time I was getting halts or freezes it was the memory I found it out when I was advised to run a memtest program
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Default Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R motherboard or BIOS problem.

Thanks for the tip.

I have no problem finding RAM tests for the first 4 GB of RAM, but I have not been able to find a x64 RAM test.
    I have 8GB of RAM.
    Do you have any suggestions for x64 RAM testers?

Thanks.
    QCC

Default Re: Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R motherboard or BIOS problem.

If it were me I would remove the dimm in the blue colored slot, and set the 6GB to triple channel memory in your bios. You may want to get your memory manufaturer's advise on which program for testing you should use. Sometimes a simple phone call is your best option.
    http://www.kingston.com/company/warranty.asp

Free Technical Support

If you experience difficulty during the installation or subsequent use of a Kingston product, you may contact Kingston's Technical Support department prior to servicing your system.

For support over the Internet, visit Kingston.com/support.

Kingston also provides free English-language technical support to its customers worldwide.

Kingston Technical Support in the United States and Canada can be contacted directly by calling: +1 (714) 435-2639 or toll-free at: +1 (800) 435-0640.

Kingston Technology Technical Support can be contacted by calling +44 (0) 1932 738888 or for national rate telephone numbers visit Kingston Technology Company - Technology Company Info - Contact Us. For ValueRAM memory Technical Support in Europe, please call +44 (0)1932 755 210.

Kingston Technical Support in Asia can be contacted directly by calling:

Calling from Australia: 1800-620-569, Toll-Free
    Calling from New Zealand: 0800-546-478, Toll-Free
    Calling from China: 800-810-1972, Toll-Free
    Calling from Hong Kong: 800-900478, Toll-Free
    Calling from India: 1860-425-4515, Toll-Call (Monday through Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
    Calling from Japan: 00531-88-0018, Toll-Free
    Calling from Malaysia: 1800-812078, Toll-Free
    Calling from Singapore: 800-8861042, Toll-Free
    Calling from Taiwan: 0800-666-200, Toll-Free
    Calling from Thailand: 001800-861-0018, Toll-Free
    Calling from other Asian countries: +886-3-500-1715, toll call
    Warranty Claim Procedures and Requirements

To obtain warranty service, you may return a defective product to the authorized Kingston dealer or distributor from which you purchased the Kingston product. Please confirm the terms of your dealer's or distributor's return policies prior to returning the product. Typically, you must include product identification information, including model number and serial number (if applicable) with a detailed description of the problem you are experiencing. You must also include proof of the date of original retail purchase as evidence that the product is within the applicable warranty period.

In the United States, you may return the product directly to the Kingston factory after first obtaining a Return Material Authorization ("RMA") number from Kingston. An RMA number is obtained by visiting Kingston.com/support or by calling Kingston Customer Service at +1 (714) 438-1810, or +1 (800) 337-3719. For ValueRAM memory product returns, please contact Technical Support at +1 (800) 435-0640 for RMA service and support.

Once you have obtained an RMA number from Kingston, you must, within thirty (30) days, send the product freight-prepaid and insured to Kingston Technology Company, Customer Service, 17550 Newhope Street, Fountain Valley, CA 92708, USA. Products shipped to the factory must be properly packaged to prevent damage in transit. You must include the Kingston RMA number prominently displayed on the outside of your package. If you send your product to the factory without the RMA number prominently displayed on the outside of the package, it will be returned to you unopened
    Last edited by artdrivers; 05-15-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Default Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R memory

Thank you again for the information.
    I did not personally build the system, but relied on a local computer store.
    They put in 8GB of Kingston Value RAM (1066MHz)
    The Kingston web site states the memory is compatible with the Gigabyte GA EX-58 UD3R.
    I managed to find MemTest86 which can test the full 8GB.
    The test ran for 1 minute and 22 secs and the system halted. Memtest did not even get a chance to report an error.
    I looked at the settings and they were as follows:
    Memory 636MHz (1232MHz)
    BClk 159MHz
    QPI 5.7GT/s
    This is the Full Throttle setting using Easy Tuner.
    From what I have read, this is "medium" overclocking.
    I booted to the BIOS and changed the setting to Turbo and re-started the test.
    Now MemTest86 shows:
    Memory 616MHz (1232MHz)
    BClk 154MHz
    QPI 5.5GT/s
    CAS 7-7-7-20
    Memtest86 ran one complete pass for 55 minutes without a problem. I will let it run overnight.

So I must conclude the local computer store put in inexpensive memory that can only tolerate medium overclocking.

While I have your attention (I hope), what is the proper memory capacities for DDR3 triple channel memory?
    I checked the Crucial, Kingston and Corsair sites and they seem to package the memory in multiples of three. Would my memory be more stable if I only populated slots DDR3_1 2, 4 and used 6GB?

Thanks

Default Gigabyte GA EX-58 UD3r, Easy Tuner 6, Kingston DDR3 Valuw memory

An update and resolution to the random system halt.

It would appear as though the Kingston Value Memory (1066Mhz) DDR3 Triple channel memory is stable up to the Turbo setting in Easy Tuner 6.
    I ran MemTest86 at the Full Throttle setting. In less than one minute, the system either halted or the screen filled with Red error messages.
    At the Turbo setting, Memtest86 completed the full test. Nine passes.

What did I learn from this experience? If I want a computer to be overclocked, buy it from a firm that knows about overclocking. Not your local discount computer shop. Get good hard advice. Treat overclocking forums with a ton of salt.
    Be prepared to spend more than originally planned. Overclocking requires quality components.

What confused me was the information about Easy Tuner. It states it will "dynamically" overclock as needed.
    In all cases of the system halting, it was at idle with no application running. No error message. No entry in the system logs.

Thanks to "artdrivers" for the help.

Default Re: Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R memory

The memory you have may be single, dual, or triple channel memory.
    http://www.valueram.com/desktop/memory.asp
    If you can give us the memory part number, this will help us determine what you want to set it on. I believe Kingston Value Ram is good memory, but you can get a bad module of any brand of memory. Kingston does warranty it for a life time. This is a good warranty. No reciept is neccesary. They have a good technical support team and RMA department. If it is triple channel memory, you may want to put in 3 modules in 1,3, and 5. 5 will be the 4th slot. You will notice that the board has 3 white slots and 1 blue slot. Just remove the memory in the blue slot. Reset your bios to triple channel. Then run memtest86+. You will want to get the + (plus) memtest86+, the newest version of memtest. I looked up the memory support list for Gigabyte GA EX58-UD3R and it shows Kingston 1066Mhz is supported, but only 3 pieces of triple channel memory is supported. GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.0) I believe this is the problem you are having.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 05-15-2009 at 09:28 PM.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W