Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

wow neillyth that's an excellent post...

As I've said before I'm not an expert in building PC's so I don't understand some of all this talk.. But after getting my PC to install an OS again the other day it seemed to run ok until I started to put programs that use a lot of memory on it.. I would get sudden reboots whilst opening a program; then maybe on reboot I'd (if I was lucky to get the OS to boot) CHKDSK which would find and fix some errors.

I've now run a Windows memory test on 1 GB memory and I see continued fails on the test.

Sorry but I don't know what they mean but this is what I see:

WINVC FAILED
    MATS+ FAILED
    INVC Succeeded
    LRAND FAILED
    Stride6 FAILED
    WMATS+ FAILED

At the bottom of the screen I see some data where is says "expected" and "actual". On the FAILED ones above the address appears to be +1 on the "actual" to the "expected"

I'm running this test with only 1 memory stick in..

***ADDED***

Did the Memtest86 and the report is

Test/errors
    0/56
    1/24
    2/40
    3/56
    4/72
    5/88
    6/104
    7/120
    8/136
    9/152
    10/168

Errors per Memory slot 84208028

If any one likes in the UK and fancies helping some one out I'd be much appreciated :)

My PC Spec:

GA-P35C-DS3R Rev 1.1 Bios F9
    Q6600 @ 2.44
    2x1gb Corsair TwinX CM2X1024-8500C5D
    ATi Radeon X1950
    Any OS I can get to work!!!
    Last edited by x2srj; 11-30-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Now I've test both memory modules together and separately and I always get errors..

Unfortunately I haven't got another machine I could test these in... do you think the memory is at fault or still down to the MOBO? The voltage for the DDR is 2.37; how does that sound?

Reset the bios to optimized defualts and save and exit then run memory test ..

Quote Originally Posted by x2srj View Post
    Now I've test both memory modules together and separately and I always get errors..

Unfortunately I haven't got another machine I could test these in... do you think the memory is at fault or still down to the MOBO? The voltage for the DDR is 2.37; how does that sound?

2.37 volts is too high. What is the default voltage of your memory? 2.1? 2.2? Reset to correct voltage and check using CPUZ. Maybe you fried your ram already.
    E6750 @ 3.6 1.45v (L722A495), (G)MCH +.1v | Gigabyte P35C DS3R -F4g Bios
    2 X 1gig Crucial Ballistixs DDR2 800(1:1) 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640 (690/1090) | Corsair HX 520 | Tuniq Tower 120
    WD Caviar 320 | WD 120 | Sony Optiarc DVD | Antec 900 | XP Pro

Now that I'm a member, I'll join the fray...
    I'm experiencing the same basic issues as well, in this case with a matched pair of the Mushkin PC-8500 performance ram. I killed one stick (although it may have been buggy when I initially acquired it - who knows), RMA'd the one stick, and then within days of getting it back, killed the pair...I now have a new pair and still am having all the similar issues everyone else is.
    Based on this forum and the thread on the Anandtech forum as well, I see several common issues that seem to be a factor; MB overvoltage of the ram seems to be a culprit based on BIOS PC health displayed as well as via Speedfan, Everest etc.
    If I leave everything set to Auto in BIOS, PC Health in BIOS was reporting 2.42v, Everest 2.37v for the dimms. TOO HIGH and they are running ~50c based on a temp sensor I attached.
    If I "force" the SPD in BIOS to 800Hz (versus 1066) the voltage drops to 2.00 (in BIOS PC Health) and things appear to be much more stable (I'll post back in a day or so) and my temp dropped to 41c.
    I'm using the F8 bios currently...
    During the times my ram was at Mushkin, I had some generic Dell DDR2-800 sticks in place and the PC was totally stable.
    My gut is telling me that we have overvoltage issues (at a minimum) relative to DDR2-1066 ram; is this worsened by ram w/EPP "profiles" (as mine has), and is this a BIOS issue or an issue with the P-35 chipset that "officially" doesn't support anything above 800MHz ram?
    Obviously, other boards are pulling it off (1066 and higher) so I suppose it could also tie into voltage regulation as well as BIOS.
    Thoughts?

Right I've reverted back from F9 (which Yanus from on here emailed me) to F4; my machine now succeeds on all memory tests.... so seems more stable..

How do I change the voltage; I can only see an option to add 0.1, 0.2 and so on...

cheers guys..

This is from CPUZ... my memory should be running at 1066 right?

Slot 3 runs identical..
    Last edited by x2srj; 12-01-2007 at 12:25 AM.

hi peeps,

Ok here's my update which may answer some questions x2srj.

So far so good. Gigabyte inform me that the mobo default for 1066mhz ram is 2.0v not 1.8v as suggested so I wouldn't advise anything more than +0.2v when adjusting DDR2 RAM voltages. Those 2.3 ish voltages some people are reporting with F8+ look like they could be actuals!

Anyway thanks to blargh and others here is what worked for me.....

specs: P35C-DS3R v1.1 Bios F4, Q6700 @ 2.66, PC8500c Crucial Ballistix RAM 4x1gb

Loads of issues as stated before, eventually loaded Vista64 with only 2x1gb RAM, DDR2 voltages set to +0.2v timings set to 5-5-5-15, speed 1066mhz.
    Windows memtest pass. Vista experience 5.8, 5.8 on memory.
    I tried the 4x1gb, system failed to boot, windows mem test fail after 50% pass 1.

So, in BIOS

CPU Clock Ratio 10x
    CPU Host Frequency 266 (stock)
    PCI Ex Freq Auto
    CIA2 Disabled
    Performance Enhance Standard
    System memory multiplier 3.00
    Mem Frequency 800 (adjusted by mem multiplier)
    High Speed DRAM DLL Settings Option1
    DRAM timing Manual
    Cas Latency 4
    DRAM Ras# to CAS# Delay 4
    DRAM RAS# Precharge 4
    Precharge Delay(tRAS) 12
    ACT to ACT Delay(tRRD) Auto
    Rank Write to Read Delay Auto
    Write to Precharge Delay Auto
    Refresh to ACT Delay 56
    Read to Precharge Delay Auto
    tRD Auto
    tRD Phase Adjustment Auto

System Voltage Control Auto (set to manual to adjust to +0.2v then put back to Auto)
    DDR2/DDR3 Overvoltage control +0.2

I have the 4x1gb with the above settings and for the FIRST time it all works!! Even after a Windows Memory test it reported no errors!! Happy Days!!

I can't pretend I know a lot about PCs and could probably improve RAM performance if I had a clue what I was doing hehe but it works and for now thats good enough for me. Everest System stability test reports average DIMM voltage at 1.96 not 2.32 or so as it was with BiosF8 although speed has been lowered since. But more imortantly after 8 mins its still going as I type and thats the longest I have managed with 4x1gb!

X2srj if the above is no help and you don't get any joy I would RMA but I hope you get your system working again. However, keep in mind that others are reporting issues with other brands of P35 mobo so tread with care if buying a replacement.

I am only sorry to those that don't have the same RAM because the above may not work, but it's worthy of taking the time to write here as this forum has been a massive help to me.
    I only hope this helps others. I'll post any updates if I have any. Thanks again to Blargh and others for continuing to assist others. I can't be ars*d to RMA or spend more of my hard earned on another mobo so the setup for now will have to do, unless Santa brings me a new one :P
    However, I would like to voice my bitter disapointment to Gigabyte as obviously there are issues and a lot of hassle and bad feeling could be avoided if they were honest and posted work arounds, in plain language so even PC noobs like myself have a chance..enough said I think..

Good luck all and keep up the good work.

Hi,

I'm new to the boards, but have been keeping an eye on this thread for awhile. I have the same board in question and the exact same memory.

The reason why you aren't having any issues with your memory anymore is because you are lowering the speed of the memory to 800mhz. With that FSB and that multiplier, 266* 3 = 800mhz. The rated speed for the Crucial Ballistix 8500 are 1066mhz. I have found that by going with 333 * 3 (on my q6600) works stable and will pass all tests including memtest86. However, this shouldn't be considered a "fix" because i'm still not getting the rated speed out of my memory. There are obviously some issues with this board and memory (incorrect voltages, instability) etc.

Anyway, just thought I would put what is working for me, you may want to try to go with higher mhz with slightly higher timings as you won't gain any real world performance with the timings, but actually will with higher speeds.

Perhaps change to 9x with FSB of 300 and 3.2 memory multiplier. That would give you higher memory speeds and slightly higher cpu speeds, and i'd be willing to bet you will still be stable. The magic number for me is 1000mhz.

Please let me know if you find out anything more, as I'm in the same boat you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
    If I leave everything set to Auto in BIOS, PC Health in BIOS was reporting 2.42v, Everest 2.37v for the dimms. TOO HIGH and they are running ~50c based on a temp sensor I attached.
    If I "force" the SPD in BIOS to 800Hz (versus 1066) the voltage drops to 2.00 (in BIOS PC Health) and things appear to be much more stable (I'll post back in a day or so) and my temp dropped to 41c.
    I'm using the F8 bios currently...
    During the times my ram was at Mushkin, I had some generic Dell DDR2-800 sticks in place and the PC was totally stable.
    My gut is telling me that we have overvoltage issues (at a minimum) relative to DDR2-1066 ram; is this worsened by ram w/EPP "profiles" (as mine has), and is this a BIOS issue or an issue with the P-35 chipset that "officially" doesn't support anything above 800MHz ram?
    Obviously, other boards are pulling it off (1066 and higher) so I suppose it could also tie into voltage regulation as well as BIOS.
    Thoughts?

mrfixit,

I think you are correct with both the Bios and P35 conclusion. The heat of my RAM when I first built my system was way too much, I couldn't touch it, I don't know the voltages because I wasn't looking as I didn't know what my issues where. However even as a noob I know that voltages=heat. The P35 and 1066mhz issue may be with earlier models as it would appear that recent models don't seem to attract as much forum activity or cries for help. Blargh has reported success at 1000mhz so I am not sure that 800mhz is the limit for this MB. I have no idea, but I would suspect that CPU and DDR2 overclocking and tweaking may compensate for this boards shortfalls for some people.

My 2p worth.

Ps...45 mins and Everest system stability test is still running on my adjusted settings and 4x1gb RAM, Result!! Although my vista experience score for RAM has dropped from 5.8 to 5.6 since lowering speeds and adding the extra 2gb RAM but...oh well...

Good luck all:)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingme24 View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to the boards, but have been keeping an eye on this thread for awhile. I have the same board in question and the exact same memory.

The reason why you aren't having any issues with your memory anymore is because you are lowering the speed of the memory to 800mhz. With that FSB and that multiplier, 266* 3 = 800mhz. The rated speed for the Crucial Ballistix 8500 are 1066mhz. I have found that by going with 333 * 3 (on my q6600) works stable and will pass all tests including memtest86. However, this shouldn't be considered a "fix" because i'm still not getting the rated speed out of my memory. There are obviously some issues with this board and memory (incorrect voltages, instability) etc.

Anyway, just thought I would put what is working for me, you may want to try to go with higher mhz with slightly higher timings as you won't gain any real world performance with the timings, but actually will with higher speeds.

Perhaps change to 9x with FSB of 300 and 3.2 memory multiplier. That would give you higher memory speeds and slightly higher cpu speeds, and i'd be willing to bet you will still be stable. The magic number for me is 1000mhz.

Please let me know if you find out anything more, as I'm in the same boat you are in.
    Hiya Kingme24 and thank you for posting.

As you suggested I just went back and adjusted to 9x300 and 3.2. Everest failed at first at 3.45 mins, so i went back and set timings to auto.Windows mem test passed with no reported problems. A subsequent test on Everest stability test is currently running good at 7 mins+. The performance gain is noticeable with my vista experience score at 5.9 from 5.6 or 5.7. So thank you for the great advice!! Since though at 12 mins everest detected hardware failure, possibly memory but the windows memory test still gives me something to smile about, Ill continue with these settings for now.

Gigabye has informed me to try to underclock to 800mhz and if it still fails to RMA ....hmmm...anyway I am going to keep things as they are. One positive though, they are very quick at responding to my support query via thier website, shame they cant fix the problem though.

Thanks again for your post!

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information