Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

I have an interesting variation on the boot-cycle problem.

I originally had a 1.1 revision board, but after about a week it went into the boot-cycle and I RMA'd it.

The new board worked fine for about a month, then it wouldn't post (the lights would come on, but not the screen). I managed to get it working by taking out a stick of RAM, and after testing it, I found it to be faulty.

I replaced the RAM and the board worked fine for another month, and then it stopped posting again... You'ved guessed it, another bad stick of RAM!

I then RMA'd the board again, and got revision 2.0. It ran fine for a month, and then AGAIN one of the sticks of RAM blew!!

I've been using F4 bios this whole time. Recently tried F10, but that hasn't helped stability. I've tried running the RAM at +0.0V and +0.3V, but each time one stick of RAM has eventually gone "bad".

What do they expect me to do? Keep replacing the RAM every month for the next couple of years? I've been running the RAM at 1066 all this time, maybe I should just settle for 800 mhz for a month, and see if that works.

Anyone got any ideas?

Same here I lost a stick of OCZ 1150 Reaper and thereby a set of dual channel. Now only run cheaper RAM at 800Mhz and tough wood its fine. Not that I paid for a mobo that would scrap RAM and cause no end of problems.

Same here, my 2 sets of fine testing 1066 Corsair dominator ram is all testing bad, all 4 sticks, whereas none did, then 1 did, then 2, etc.. I cant even boot the computer and have it be stable with 4 sticks of ram, running at any speed. I had to drop down to 2 sticks running 800, but they both still test bad. its nonsence, and after rma from corsair I got 4 more sticks that all test bad. put in my 4 gb of cheapie kingston ram, and... all 4 test bad. none of them tested bad on my other board... and I hope I didnt kill 1000 dollars in ram investments by trusting gigabyte for the first time. I would RMA the board, but the 2 weeks to 3 months as some people have experienced is not acceptable, so im just going to wait and buy a new board. Running certified components should never cause anybody this much grief.

ALL and hollovoid7:

I agree, I got this same motherboard (rev. 1.1) and 4 sticks of DDR1066/PC2-8500 Corsair Dominator RAM. After about 6 months I noticed checksum errors on MD5 and SHA1 hashes of large files (DVD isos, etc). I tested the RAM with Memtest 86 v1.70, one stick at a time, DDR800, with stock timings... I found massive errors on 2 sticks, just a few errors on the 3rd stick, but the 4th stick was OK. So I ran only sticks 3 & 4 at DDR1066, but then after a few days the 4th stick had problems. So, I RMA the RAM with Corsair, thinking their RAM was at fault.

However, after reading this forum, I am thinking the memory controller on the P35 chipset sucks at supporting PC2-8500 2.1volt DDR2 RAM. Firstly, the motherboard has a Vdimm default of 1.8 volts, and DDR2 @ 1066 is only supported with 2 sticks of RAM from their recommended list.

Well, I am using recommended RAM, but it didn't help. Also, since I run Windows XP x64, I decided to run 4gigs of RAM. However, the memory controller can't handle the RAM at DDR1066 because 1) I bought the TWIN pair sets instead of the QUAD set, and 2) the P35 memory controller isn't ready for 4 sticks @ 1066Mhz. So I was running at DDR800 at timings of 4-4-4-12 2T with a +0.3 overvolt (2.1V).

Bottom line, with 4 sticks I would have been able to run the cheaper PC2-6400 at DDR800 and the same timings!!! What a waste the PC2-8500 RAM is on this board!!

Next week my RMA RAM is supposed to arrive. I really really hope I can figure out good settings to run this stuff at so I don't fry it in this motherboard. I will probably go for the same timings (DDR800 at 4-4-4-12 2T) but I am going to see if I can use a lower voltage and still have stability (+0.1 or +0.2 volts on the vdimm). I also bought 2 of the Corsair Airflow fan modules for my Dominator pairs. And a lucky rabbit's foot.

I am running the latest BIOS revision (F10) for my 1.1 board.

So, do you all think the RAM died just because, or do you think the motherboard took it out?

I want to hear from ANYONE who has had long term success running ANY PC2-8500 RAM in this board with stability.

Thanks...

-breaker

P.S. ONLY flash your BIOS with Q-Flash NEVER use @BIOS !!!
    Last edited by breaker; 02-18-2008 at 06:06 AM. Reason: postscript note

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by a573573 View Post
    @BIOS works great for me
    Sure, it may work, but I'll bet a lot of people with the corrupted BIOSes used @BIOS instead of Q-Flash. I am wondering how many of the people who posted on this thread who had to RMA used @BIOS before they started having problems.

If you know anything about computers, you know you are tempting fate and run at a greater risk when you update flash ROM chips from within an OS. I would rather be on the safe side and boot to the Q-Flash and access the new BIOS off a burned CD-ROM.

Do what you want, but there are warnings here and there on the web about the risks involved. You could end up having to RMA your board or find someone who has an EEPROM/Flash ROM programmer (burner) to fix it for you.

-breaker

ANYTIME you flash your BIOS with any method is the same risk. Power goes out on either, RMA

I know what you mean, and say....but it is all a risk, and I actually think people do it FAR to often. If it ain't broke dont fix it was MADE for thinking about a BIOS flash.

ANYTIME you flash your BIOS with any method is the same risk. Power goes out on either, RMA

I know what you mean, and say....but it is all a risk, and I actually think people do it FAR to often. If it ain't broke dont fix it was MADE for thinking about a BIOS flash.
    Of course I agree anytime one flashes a flash ROM it is a risk. Especially if your RAM or disks create errors in the files! I think it is more of a risk to have the load of your operating system, with all of its imperfections and risks of conflicts, running while you try to flash the BIOS.

Also, earlier I mis-spoke, I usually use a USB drive to flash the BIOS from Q-Flash. I have done it only twice, and I agree if it isn't broken don't fix it. I had 3 out of 4 sticks of RAM with errors. So, I used my laptop to download some new BIOS versions. I also ran file hash checksums on the file before and after copying. Still, I wasn't 100% sure, but pretty sure the file was OK.

So, my point is, IMHO, I feel the risk is a bit greater using @BIOS.

Some others feel this way:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...d-bios-utility

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...ash-error-help

So, I guess ensure you save a copy to the HDD at least.

Yeah, I do see your point....Now you got me worried!

Hey, when you save them to your drive, what do you do? Fat partition on a storage drive? I ask because I assume you can create a fat partition onto a raid array, right? And it does need to go in a FAT partition to begin with right?

Can I or will it even search all drives to begin with? I have a storage drive not in RAID array, should I make a FAT partition there and store a BIOS file just incase? Or does it need to be a certain drive location
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-20-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Yeah, I do see your point....Now you got me worried!

Hey, when you save them to your drive, what do you do? Fat partition on a storage drive? I ask because I assume you can create a fat partition onto a raid array, right? And it does need to go in a FAT partition to begin with right?

Can I or will it even search all drives to begin with? I have a storage drive not in RAID array, should I make a FAT partition there and store a BIOS file just incase? Or does it need to be a certain drive location
    Yes, it needs to be on FAT not NTFS. A USB drive is usually already formatted with FAT32, but of course you can format it in Windows too. And yes you can do FAT on a RAID array, but I would just use a USB stick.

Well, in Q-Flash you can "Save Main BIOS to Drive." The book says you can save a copy of the current BIOS to a hard drive or USB drive with a FAT 32/16/12 system, but if you save it to a RAID you have to press END at boot to access Q-Flash. This is just to back-up your current version.

I thought this mobo had Dual BIOS. Unfortunately it does not. This means that the BIOS can't automatically use a backup copy. So, a saved copy probably wouldn't help you in a corrupted BIOS situation.

To flash, I just copy the BIOS file (such as p35cds3r.f10) to a USB stick, reboot, hit END for Q-Flash, then choose the drive, I think I picked something like USB-HDD, then select the file. You may have to have "Legacy USB storage detect" already enabled in BIOS.

Anyway it is in the back of the motherboard book, section 4-2-1, a PDF version can be downloaded from the Gigabyte site.

My RAM has been so long on RMA, I forgot this board doesn't do DualBIOS.

Anyway...

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread Information