Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

Yeah I seen that about <End> I was just wondering about the "Searching Disk for image" Thing. I'd like to keep a copy on my disk where it would be accessible should that need arise

I have manual on my desk and I read it all, I just keep thinking there is some other app that can read the bios off the drive I guess. Like express recovery or something, but I see that only backs up the system. I must have confused my thoughts and reading with DQ6 users posts, who have True dual and can get a file off the drive in a corrupt state.

So pretty much keep one on a floppy or usb, and if something bad happens that will be my only option to try? Or will a disk attempt be also tried in a terrible spot?

I just ask because after reading so many threads I thought maybe I should make a FAT partition on my storage drive, or make some of my RAID into FAT and keep a few bios's there, or is that just pointless on DS4?

So does everyone who has a Rev 1 board have the problem with it not holding OC settings if you exceed 400MHz FSB? I had it with an e4400 in the board, and again now with the e8400, can run the e8400 at 3.6GHz fine, but if I push it up to 401MHz, it generally does this twice boot thing and then just defaults to 333MHz.

Hopefully this is something Gigabyte can fix, my board will run at 445Mhz flawlessly once I wrestle with the bios to keep those settings, but if I have to shut down or reboot for any reason, everthing goes to crap.

Quote Originally Posted by a573573 View Post
    <end>
    So pretty much keep one on a floppy or usb, and if something bad happens that will be my only option to try? Or will a disk attempt be also tried in a terrible spot?

I just ask because after reading so many threads I thought maybe I should make a FAT partition on my storage drive, or make some of my RAID into FAT and keep a few bios's there, or is that just pointless on DS4?
    I am unsure about this also. You might have to have the feature called Xpress BIOS rescue. The whole DualBIOS thing on your GA-P35-DS4 appears to be automatic, and just uses the BIOS chip(s).

From motherboard_manual_ga-p35-ds4_2.0_e.pdf -

Motherboards that support Dual BIOS have two BIOS onboard, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS. Normally, the system works on the main BIOS.

However, if the main BIOS is corrupted or damaged, the backup BIOS will take over on the next system boot and copy the BIOS file to the main BIOS to ensure normal system operation.

For the sake of system safety, users cannot update the backup BIOS manually.
    At first I didn't read your signature there. I was thinking you had a GA-P35C-DS3R because that's what this thread is about. So, at first I didn't think you had DualBIOS. You are lucky you do, I don't.

As far as how it works, after it copies the backup to the main, I am not sure if it ever copies a new version to the backup chip. If so, then you could get a corrupt DualBIOS. So, hopefully it doesn't do this.

This is from the Gigabyte site "BIOS explained" and it covers DualBIOS: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/..._explained.htm

So, yeah it is probably pointless to save a copy on the HDD. If you did have corruption, I'm not sure if you could get to Q-Flash anyway.

Someone else asked the same question: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=25936

LOL, more confused people here: http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=64958

It says your board has virtual dual BIOS, I guess it is automatic, not sure.

Even more confusion here: http://www.hardforum.com/archive/ind...t-1196073.html

Hmmm... that's all for now...
    </end>
    Last edited by breaker; 02-21-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Ya, I have read my manual, the online stuff, and plenty of those threads. I asked because it sounded like you had my board! HAHA Guess not.

Ya, I have read many of the same confused people and no real answer. Guess I just have to stick with what I have been doing and prey nothing goes wrong.

Thanks

Ya, I have read my manual, the online stuff, and plenty of those threads. I asked because it sounded like you had my board! HAHA Guess not.

Ya, I have read many of the same confused people and no real answer. Guess I just have to stick with what I have been doing and prey nothing goes wrong.

Thanks
    LOL, AND I thought YOU had MY board. Oh well. They are both P35 boards.

You should be find since you have the chip based Dual BIOS.

This is the place to search the actual Gigabyte database, and you can also ask them a question:

http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/FAQList/FAQ.aspx

However, communication with them can be trying at times.

I'm thinking Virtual DualBIOS = Xpress BIOS Rescue, but I don't know the details.

Last edited by breaker; 02-23-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: not "Recovery", but "Rescue"

Well if that was the case, there would be far less bricked motherboards! I sure wish I could get a copy of the backup to hard drive BIOS app. Xpress BIOS recovery.

Yeah I seen in some threads people trying to ask gigabyte abotu that app and getting nowhere fast

Quote Originally Posted by breaker View Post
    However, after reading this forum, I am thinking the memory controller on the P35 chipset sucks at supporting PC2-8500 2.1volt DDR2 RAM. Firstly, the motherboard has a Vdimm default of 1.8 volts, and DDR2 @ 1066 is only supported with 2 sticks of RAM from their recommended list.
    ALL:

I agree with breaker: The common factor in the most problems with the P35C-DS3R board is the PC2-8500 2.x volt DDR2 RAM. It is NOT whether people use crucial, corsair, OCZ or whatever brand.

I assembled one computer with this mainboard in July-07 and another one in August-07, how stupid can one be,

I started out with a crucial 2 gb pair, PC2-8500 2.2 volt. RIGHT from the beginning I had trouble just getting it to run stable. When I built the second machine, I moved the crucial sticks to this one. The 2nd machine behaves the exact same way: it is impossible to obtain stability at 1066 MHz. Sure, it might run a few days without errors, but all too often something weird happens; worst of all I've even had a few BSOD. I have now sent the crucial RAM in RMA, even though I've been able to run memtest86 for 30 hours WITHOUT errors.

In August-07, I put 2x2x1GB (two pairs) GEIL PC2-6400 2.1 volt sticks in the first machine. This machine has been running at stock speed rock stable (I havent had a single hardware-caused crash) since, with ram at 4-4-4-12 and voltage +0.1 (this looks like almost 2.0 volt in bios pc-health).

Yesterday I upgraded my bios from F4g to F10, and so far it hasn't had any negative effects (actually, pc-health didn't show the ram voltage before, it only said 'OK').

Conclusion: I think this gigabyte crap mainboard CANNOT run stable with ram at 1066 MHz. A quick and good stability test on my two computers is S3 standby. My box with GEIL ram has no problems with it..., using crucial PC2-8500 ram, it is unusable: almost every time I resume from standby, it restarts.

ANYBODY running a P35C-DS3R with ram at 1066 MHz STABLE ???

All for now,
    Ramancars
    Last edited by ramancars; 02-22-2008 at 09:45 PM.

I've had all of the problems described in this thread. Even posted my experiences back in the september 2007 time frame. I'm running my 4 gig of corsair dominator 1066 ram at 800. System is not stable otherwise. However, I have seen other posts regarding other p35 boards and the newer x38 boards with similar problems. It is always seen when trying to run 4 gig of ddr2 ram higher than 800? My system is stable and fast. Been that way since I got the board back from Gigabyte when I RMA'd it because of the infamous boot problem. I'm leaving it alone.

q6600 GO
    EVGA 8800GTS KO
    4 GIG Corsair DOMINATOR 8500
    P35C-DS3R Rev. 1.1 BIOS Rev 10
    GA-P35C-DS3R
    Q6600
    4 gig Corsair Dominator RAM
    EVGA 8800 GTS Video
    4 Seagate Barracuda 320GB Drives
    Vista Business 32

I got my PC-8500 Corsair RAM back from RMA that died. I have been running it at +0.2 volts with only 2 sticks instead of 4. Now, the PC Health actually says I am running at 2.1xx volts when +0.2 should = 2.0v. However, I have read on XtremeSystems that this board has really bad Vdroop under load, which I have yet to test. So if PC Health is correct it also overvolts by .1 volt. I have read here and there this can be a big problem with these boards. I am trying for now DDR2-1066 with 5-5-5-15 and a fan on top of the Dominators. This revision of Dominators is supposedly Micron D9s.

So, Memtest 86+ v1.70 ran fine at these settings, but I am waiting a week or so before going for the Prime 95 / Orthos. I am NOT going to overclock.

If the RAM dies again I will RMA the mobo and RAM, sell it off and buy something else!

P.S. My mobo is rev1.1 and BIOS F10
    Last edited by breaker; 02-23-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: revs

Well if that was the case, there would be far less bricked motherboards! I sure wish I could get a copy of the backup to hard drive BIOS app. Xpress BIOS recovery.

Yeah I seen in some threads people trying to ask gigabyte abotu that app and getting nowhere fast
    I asked Gigabyte about "Virtual Dual BIOS" which is listed as one feature in the spec chart of your mobo:

Answer : It only has single bios chip on the board, the other bios is written to the hdd as an backup

Question : What is Virtual DualBIOS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-P35-DS4(rev. 2.1)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 2.1
    BIOS Ver : F12
    I now have asked if this means it is automatic and if it = Xpress BIOS Rescue.

Again, hopefully what is written here is automatic as far as the hidden HDD partition: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/..._explained.htm
    Last edited by breaker; 02-23-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: not "Recovery", but "Rescue"

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread Information