Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

Quote Originally Posted by breaker View Post
    One of the responses I got from Gigabyte was to use WinHex. I haven't done so yet, I remember this program from way back, but now it seems to have more features. The other tools you mentioned seem easier.

I have WD HDDs, so maybe Data Lifeguard would show something. BTW, HDD manufacturer tools run from floppy. CD-ROM, or USB stick are so handy for fixing "broken" drives.

What isn't clear about the Xpress Bios Rescue is when the BIOS is written to the HDD. Once? Every boot? After loading optimized defaults? Does it ever update the version if you flash the BIOS? Or maybe it checks to see if the HPA exists, then writes it there if not.

-breaker
    Breaker,

Try the utility I've already linked to. If you are not in AHCI or RAID mode then it'll work fine.
    http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/
    The ISO bootable image works fine.

Use carefully though as it can write zero's to the drive. Unlike some other utilities, it can remap bad sectors, show SMART data, Set Capacity and show HPA's amongst many other features.
    It is graphical/command line, but reasonably easy to use once you know the commands.
    After selecting the target drive, the command "EID" (extended ID) will report back an HPA if there is one (which there is)
    But against each of the drives on the main page before you select a specific drive for info, is an LBA summary.
    If you have say two of the same size drives, you will notice that one drive reports a slighly smaller capacity, even though they are identical drives. If you swap the drives around in the PC, you'll then find the smaller capacity then appears on the other drive. basically the primary drive, or the Drive on port Drive 0 will have the slightly reduced capacity due to the Bios locked HPA.

Other tools that report LBA are available from Seagate, WDC, Hitachi etc.
    Hitachi's Feature tool is handy as it shows the LBA
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 04-03-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, that is kinda hard to get a IBM formatted Floppy, which IS needed to write that tool to disk with. A normal formatted floppy doesnt work.

But I am about to see what seagate tools shows. Having some issues with Hirens, and I think it is the RAID causing those issues, so no luck with that. I did use winhex and some other tools on Digiwiz MiniPE XT which show some larger difference then you are mentioning but I think that is caused by the MBR

I guess I could switch the drives from RAID to IDE just to run Hirens, but I am concerned that may mess the RAID up, any input there? I think I have done this before, but not so sure. Maybe I will just wait until reinstall time which is coming soon
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-04-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Ya, that is kinda hard to get a IBM formatted Floppy, which IS needed to write that tool to disk with. A normal formatted floppy doesnt work.
    Both the tools I linked to, ie MHDD and Hitachi's feature have ISO image versions to create bootable CD's.

All you need is a utility (ie like the ones I have linked to) to read the available sectors on the drive, ie the capacity of the drive. That has nothing to do with formatting, mbr or anything else. The drive is sold with an advertised capacity and short of it having a fault, utilities that can read the LBA user sector count, should report the same advertised figure back.
    Because newer GB Motherboards have the Virtual Dual Bios, the "Virtual" bit is created by the bios sectioning off a part of it for itself. The rest of the drive is then used in completely the normal way.

Because of disk HPA, law enforcement (as an example) need powerful disk tools to check in those areas. Because a disk HPA essentially takes that disk space away from the OS and ultimately the user, viruses, formatting and the like, it is totally robust and probably goes unoticed by most when it is used as a facility by the MB manufacturer (ie Gigabyte)

Ahh, well I dont have any extra CD's so I tried to grab the Floppy version, guess I will have to wait. I have a FBI Forensics CD, I just have to find where I stuck it in my CD mess.

Posting this just so everyone knows the endless reboot issue with this board is alive and well. Typically, this GA-P35C-DS3R was about 6 months old when the dreaded endless reboot appeared. After trying all the usual fixes to no avail, I swapped the board for a new GA-EP35-DS3R - it works fine. Since no other hardware/software was changed, and given the many similar experiences recounted in this forum, the issue is obviously in the design of the GA-P35C-DS3R. Now I'm beginnning to wonder if I'm simply on borrowed time with this new Gigabyte board. Should I replace it with an IP-35E/Pro, P5KC, or something similar to avoid the frustration and expense of dealing with this problem again in the future? While Gigabyte boards do have 3-year warranties, the RMA process is so daunting that, for practical purposes, there's really no warranty at all.

I've got to agree with Paul Allen. Out of the belief that I just had a "bad board" I picked up another GA-P35C-DS3R to replace the one that was previously in the endless booting phase. This one last a bit longer (about 4-5 months) but it also needs replacement. The 3-year warranty is not a good avenue when you need a replacement immediately, so it is out to buy another mobo.

This time I will not make the same mistake: I am staying far away from Gigabyte motherboards.

While reading this thread, I noticed at the bottom it said 40 people were reading it. 39 of them guests. This makes me wonder how many people have the issue yet never chime in.

Sometimes users "Appear" signed in or looking until they delete the cookie or sign out. I can close this page in firefox, and come back 2 days later and look in IE and it will still say I am here and signed in

Is it the same for guests? They don't "sign in".

Yes, It is the same. We can see guests signed in by IP, although I do not know if the cookie lasts as long for guests as it does for members, but it is likely the same

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread Information