Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

That's very good news blargh23 about those sticks. I am afraid to run 4 sticks again, but I will say I have been running 2x1G of the Corsair Dominator 1066 for a few months now.

Hi,

I've just joined this forum after finding it in Google.

I am using a GA-P35C-DS3R v2.1 motherboard with Bios F10. It worked fine for 2 months with Corsair Dominator DDR2 (2 x 1GB) then my PC died and went into the dreaded reboot loop. After checking the components I found that it worked with 1 of the sticks of RAM but always rebooted when the other stick of RAM was inserted (either on it's own or with the good stick). I assumed the RAM was at fault and took it back to the shop to get a refund.

I replaced the old 'bad' RAM with 2 sticks of OCZ3P13332GK RAM, it is DDR3 PC3 10666 rated at 7-7-7 at 1.8v.

Unfortunately when I use both stick of DDR3 the PC still goes in the reboot loop. As with the Corsair RAM, 1 of the sticks works but the other one always causes the reboot problem. I have tested the 'good' stick sucessfully in both DDR3 slots so there seems to be no problem with the actual DDR slots on th motherboard.

Before I look at replacing the RAM, I just wanted to check my BIOS settings with the guys here to see if they have any suggestions because it seems odd to have two bad sets of RAM.

Here are the settings with the single stick of DDR3 that is working:

Robust Graphics Booster__________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio _________________ [9X]
    CPU Host Clock Control___________ [Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)_________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [AUTO]
    C.I.A. 2_________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_____ [AUTO]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_____ SPD __ [AUTO]
    Performance Enhance _____________ [TURBO]
    Memory Frequency ________________ 1333

CAS Latency Time________________ 7 AUTO
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 7 AUTO
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay________ 7 AUTO
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________ 20 AUTO
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)___________ 4 AUTO
    Rank Write to READ Delay___________ 5 AUTO
    Write to Precharge Delay___________ 10 AUTO
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 60 AUTO
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 5 AUTO
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7 AUTO
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 18 AUTO

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

In the Bios HealthCheck the DDR2/DDR3 Voltage is showin 1.8v

Thanks

Karl

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I personally feel OCZ, Corsair and Crucial ALL have issues with GA boards. So if you do decide to try more ram dont get any of those brands. Mushkins, G.Skill, Giel and other cheap brands(A-Data, Kingston, And some others I cant think of) works fine with GA boards

This is/was likely one of you main issues with both sets (and you need to add +0.1 for 2x1 - 0.15/2.0 for 2x1 MCH voltage) >>>
    Performance Enhance _____________ [TURBO] <<< Should be set to standard

Is this 4gb 2x2? If so then the below settings would be correct to try out

AUTO is not for running your Expensive parts on, but is set to start a system with the many hardware possibilities out there and let them work enough so that users can set there own settings. You do not want your PC deciding what to give your $$ Expensive hardware do you? It is often wrong, too little, or too much

Try these settings and see if you get anywhere

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_____ [4.00] <<< For 1333Mhz Ram
    DRAM Timing Selectable_____ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance _____________ [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 7
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 7
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay________ 7
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________ 20

Start with the higher settings and later if you get stable you can lower ONE AT A TIME and test after each move. Make sure if you have the setting Command Rate that it is set to 2T

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)___________ 8-10
    Rank Write to READ Delay___________ 5-9 - 12-14 << Try Highest first of course
    Write to Precharge Delay___________ 12-16/19
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 62-72+
    Read to Precharge Delay__________5-9
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Set ALWAYS to 1-31, ZERO or Auto (Meaning do not Manually Enter anything other then a 0 (Zero)

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] << This is correct, 1.5 is the default/norm for DDR3
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For Stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For Stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V] << For Stability (For 2x2 sticks you will need +0.15V - +0.2V)

And of course, if you just do not want or have time to mess with tweaking things your Ram if it is compatible with your board should run fine at the following settings (Mostly AUTO) Try First if you like >>>

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_____ [4.00] <<< For 1333Mhz Ram
    DRAM Timing Selectable_____ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance _____________ [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 7
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 7
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay________ 7
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________ 20

Start with the higher settings and later if you get stable you can lower ONE AT A TIME and test after each move. Make sure if you have the setting Command Rate that it is set to 2T

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)___________ AUTO
    Rank Write to READ Delay___________ AUTO
    Write to Precharge Delay___________ AUTO
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 62-72+
    Read to Precharge Delay__________AUTO
    Static tRead Value_______________ AUTO
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Set ALWAYS to 1-31, ZERO or Auto (Meaning do not Manually Enter anything other then a 0 (Zero)

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] << This is correct, 1.5 is the default/norm for DDR3
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For Stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For Stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V] << For Stability (For 2x2 sticks you will need +0.15V - +0.2V)

Thanks for the info Lsdmeasp.

I tried all the Bios settings before I came to work and they had no affect when using the 'bad' stick of OCZ RAM but still worked fine with the 'good' stick so I'll try to go out at lunch time to get the memory swapped.

The shop does not have that much variety of RAM that isn't OCZ, Corsair, Crucial etc. There are 2 possibilities to try that are at a similar price to the OCZ memory:

Geil Black Dragon DDR2 4.0GB PC8500Quad Channel memory kit (4 x 1GB) 1066MHz (5-5-5-15) Custom Black Dragon PCB with LED. This runs at 2.4V.

Kingston 2GB HyperX 800MHz DDR2 Ultra Low Latency CL3 (3-3-3-10) DIMM (Kit of 2). This runs at 2.3v.

Although the Geil 4Gb kit sounds better there seems to be many issues with people using 4 x 1Gb at 1066 with this motherboard. Have you heard of anyone using this memory with no issues?

So for now I'm thinking of going for the Kingston memory. This memory is also listed in the Gigabyte memory compatibility list.

Thanks for your help so far.

Geil would be better, and you do not have to run 1066 if you dont want to or cant get it going. But most issues where people have issues is just the fact that they cannot fidn the right settings, or dont try hard enough, or just plain old think it is the same as 2x1 and RMA them or complain thinking they do not work

Both are compatible, so it is up to you

The voltages are what is warrantied not what it has to have to run, and anything over 2.1 I would use a fan on because that will be very hot

Maybe the kingston needs that to run CAS3 as there is not many, if any 800Mhz sticks that will do CAS3, and I actually am highly speculative that this kit you mention will and be stable. But it could with that much voltage but I doubt it will last long. Kingston is not know for overclocking very well, and Tight timings like that would be considered a overclock at 800Mhz

If it was me, I would get the Geil or a refund if possible and buy Mushkins....... But again, all up to you

That QVL list is very old, and needs a update bad I think!

Thumbs up Re: GA-P35C-DS3R problems

Hi,

Just a quick update to say that I ended up getting 4 x 1gb sticks from Geil and they are working perfectly after making the necessary changes in the BIOS.

Thanks for all the help.

Karl

Great to hear!!!

Glad you are up and running, so Geil's? How's the bandwidth on those?

Just signed up here when i ran into this thread. I've got Dead stick of RAM Corsair TWINx2024-8500D. Didn't matter what bios settings were, the Failed immediatly on running memtest. If I had the bios OC'd the cpu would clock down to 1.87 gigs. I've got Q600, 3 sataII HD's, watercooling, everything but the kitchen sink. Ultimately I eneded up with a mobo that is shaky at best.

I read through some of this thread, but didn't notice any mention of a problem I noticed. Sometimes my volt settings in the bios show 2.2v. or 4.4v. even though I had the volt timings on auot. After I finished with the bad RAM I put the good in, set my clock speeds as follows:

CAS latency: 5-5-5-15 2.5T cpu clock: 7x Host Freq.: 400. I've been running these settings for quite a while without any problems. After a couple reboots, the bios read 2.0v so i set the RAM volt to +.1v rebooted, and no change. Rebooted again, no change again. booted pc, CPU Z states core volt 2.26. I'm having a brain fart and can't remember if this is referring ro the RAM volt? i've only used this software a million times, ha.

I've got mobo rev. 1.1 by the way. When I RMA the RAM I'm stuck with a worse problem. I'll have to get both sticks replaced as they are version 1.2, i believe, and the volt for this is 2.2v, while the newer revissions are 2.15. This means no pc while I wait. grrrr. with these problems I didn't want to buy more RAM for this motherboard, rather spend money on a better motherboard. What i'm thinking of doing is buying DDR3 for this board, and down the line when i replace the mobo I can use the DDRII and the p35c to buld antoher machine.

This Motherboard was packed expertly and designed regardlessly. Or so it seems. For all the bragging gigabyte does over this board, and how it can suport 1333 FSB. I couldn't believe I was reading on their site, no 1333 FSB RAM is recommended, yet it states it all over the board and in the manual. I knew i didn't research enough before I built this pc. It had been a few years since my last. I was too excited to get all the latestest goodies. live and learn

I use my 1333 FSB board at 1800 and 2000 FSB. It is all in what you set, which I assume you know. Corsair does not play very well with GA boards and my suggestion to you would be if and when you RMA to sell the new set and buy some compatible ram Such as Not Corsair, OCZ or Crucial

Yes, thank you for the reply. That's basically what I was thinking. Itll take a while to decide. I have enough hardware to make a decent machine if i keep the gigabyte and ram. It's all a matter of time and money. I was planning on building a home server down the road, that's why i'm thinking of keeping the hardware.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread Information