Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X38-DQ6 does not POST, power on.. power off..

Default X38-DQ6 does not POST, power on.. power off..

Help!

my brand-new X38-DQ6 has a Q6600 CPU with 2x2Gb PC2-8000 G.Skill DDR2 RAM, a Radeon 1900XT and an Enermax Liberty 650w PSU. I have checked and rechecked all connectors for power and can find nothing wrong, but the machine will not POST. When the power is turned on it starts up and fans turn on for about 5 seconds, then everything powers off and will repeat this behavior - power on, power off.. over and over until you shut off the power to it. There is no video either - is there something wrong with the motherboard, memory or CPU?

I have already tried pulling the CMOS battery to reset it, and changing the RAM to a single stick and different banks - the board behaves the same no matter what. I have found mention of problems with a recent BIOS (version F4?) on another webboard, but I don't even know what version would be installed on this board from the factory since it has not POSTed once yet.

Default Re: X38-DQ6 does not POST, power on.. power off..

I have also tried using the CLR_CMOS jumper, this does not change the behavior at all. The machine will not POST, does not initialize the video and powers off after a few seconds again.

Get/borrow some standard voltage (1.8v) DDR2-667 (PC5300) or DDR2-800(PC6400), 1 stick will do, and once you get it booted (if you get it booted) jump into the BIOS and up the memory voltage to suit your PC8000 memory, save and reboot and then shut it down and swap to your PC8000 and boot again.

(rant)Quite frankly over the last few years Gigabyte IMHO have been trying to hard to be one of the 1st to market with new chipset based mainboards but their electricial stability has taken a big hit over this same time frame (as a PC builder/repairer I stopped using their mainboards over this same period and am still replacing far too many due to electricial bugs, see other threads in this forum).

Also (sorry nothing personal to support staff) but it seems that most can't understand proper, simple English (just take a look a a few of the support replies here) as all replies seem as if they have been done through some poor translating software which doesn't really seem to work.

Sorry but overall I'll stick with ASUS mainboards atm.(/rant)

Wayout -

thanks for the advice. I also have usually purchased ASUS or Epox boards in the past and this is the first (and last) time I think I will purchase a Gigabyte board.
    Unfortunately, there seems to be only 1 ASUS model with 8x SATA and DDR2 support.. which no retailer I deal with seems to carry. :(

Anyways, I have now tried a stock PC2-5300 module, but to no avail - the board behaves exactly the same even with nothing else besides memory and video plugged in.
    I will be RMAing this board and CPU, hopefully to exchange for an ASUS.

Sounds like the same problem I had with a GA-N680SLI-DQ6 rev 2 On thi N680SLI if you put something other than a quad core it would post.

try this,

install the standard pc-533/667/800 that you know works at 1.8V (one dimm will do)into the first slot (closest to the CPU)
    Shut down the PC

Unplug the power cord and turn off the powersupply (if it has an on/off switch)

With the case open...use a paperclip (or any other tool) and short the CLR-CMOS pins...hold it there for a few seconds

Plug in the power cord back into the wall

Restart the pc...it should boot up with the splash screen

I have to do this every time i update the bios

I do have a thread on this issue in this fourm

Once you have the chance, grab the F5h bios, it is rock solid, and now i can overclock my Q6600 (333 x 9 and with EIST enable the speeds range from 3 to 2 Ghz)

Hope this helps

Hey rando, I got my x38-dq6 from newegg and everything was working fine, until the next day when I turned on my PC and it started doing exactly what you're saying(neverending off/on).
    I tried taking out the battery, resetting cmos, everything. No go. It's being RMA'd right now. Hopefully I have better luck with the second one.

phatty2x4

by chance did you overclock or running stock

Kevin

Daer AmazingRando
    IF you only use one ram. Will the system POST?

It was oc'd to 400*8 and whenever it didn't like a setting(not enough volts, etc) it'd do the same thing, only on the first poweroff/powerup it'd post and reset to defaults in the bios. Leave it for a night and it's bunk. Tried 1 ram stick in different slots and all the battery/cmos reset, no dice.
    Oh well it's on the way back to newegg for a new(hopefully working) one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information