Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P35-DS4 partially fried or what?

GiggaByte is online now Member

Default P35-DS4 partially fried or what? [fixed]

Ok well heres the story, somehow something happened in here that iam missing...

Before I opened my system to put in my x-mas upgrades everything with the board was perfect no problems or anything. So I open my system and start with putting the Accelero X2 on my X1900, that went fine. I took the board out of the case so I can install the mounting plate for the Zalman CNPS9700 NT and install the HSF itself afterwords, that went well. Installed my OCZ 4GB RAM and that went well. Finally install the 2 7200.10RPM 250GB Barracudas for RAID 0 and set up the array, that went good as well. Last but not least, install my new 110CFM Scythe 120mm exaust fan of coarse that was easy. Oh and I also lapped my E4500 and Pentium 4 630. So everything seems good so far....? NOT!

After windows was done installing and I start installing video and sound drivers I came across a weird problem. The Realtek HD drivers for some reason would not detect my onboard sound, almost as if it wasn't there, but it was enabled in bios as always. So I restart and restart and try older versions of the drivers and I get the same result across the board. So I thought theres a problem with XP's SP3 since this the first actuall install with SP3 slipstreamed. I did notice something weird in the device manager, there was one hardware device that was listed as "PCI device" and no matter what I tried I coulden't get windows to realize what it was. I never installed a PCI device just some old network card that I use for using this PC as a gateway for my alt system and that network card was installed already by XP's default drivers. So Iam starting to get frustrated now and went into bios and disabled the onboard sound and dug up my very old POS C-Media CMI8738 sound card. The sound card and it's drivers installed flawlessly and it does work, it just makes onboard sound sound like gold... anyway now this is where it gets interesting. I noticed after I disabled the onboard sound the "PCI device" in device manager was gone. So as confused as I was I enabled the onboard sound again and there it was, "PCI device" listed in device manager again and the Realtek drivers still fail to work correctly.

So Iam now getting concerned as I think my onboard sound is damaged.. so for now I left it disabled and contiuned on with my POS sound card and kept installing my stuff and enjoying the speed of RAID 0 at the same time. Now once everything was installed and disks defragged I went back to bios to start overclocking my new RAM and to find it's limits. I first started at about 1020Mhz with 5-5-5-18 timings at stock 2.1v. Memtest errored instantly so I increased vdimm to 2.2v, still errored instantly. Well that is weird, I thought these would handle this speed easy.. so I backed them down to 850Mhz at stock timings of 5-4-4-15 @ 2.1v and memtest still errored instantly and I thought "wow, don't tell me I got bad RAM..". Now I tried 816Mhz again at stock timings and volts and memtest STILL errored instantly. Ok now iam getting pissed and just went straight to stock 800Mhz, and long behold still instantly errored.

I started digging up the recept and package for the RAM while I tried it one last time at 400Mhz, half the speed of stock. Still errored.. the rest of the system is at stock, and even increased volts, still errored. By now I noticed its always erroring within 2.5 seconds of testing and always saying the same error, dfeed something. I gave my RAM one dead last chance, in my old ASUS P5WD2 board with a Pentium 4 630. I put them in and guessed an overclock which was 1020Mhz with 5-5-5-18 timings and 2.1v and holy ^$%# it went 5 minutes with no error. I tried them at stock anyway and I get no errors. Oh so my RAM is fine thank god... I turned to my main system and literially stared at it for 30 seconds, something is weird here.. the RAM is fine so... I installed my old Kingston Value RAM (that is was stable in this system before) that my alt system now uses after I used them for 1.5 years and look! They error on this system as well, at the same 2.5 seconds into the test and displaying the same error, dfeed and a bunch of numbers.

With this new problem I put two and two together, something is wrong with my onboard sound and somethings wrong with something on the board thats making it fail memtest. Somethings wrong with the board itself. At first I thought it might be the northbridge dying (I had this board for 2.5 months......) but overclocking potiential is actually a little better since I have 2 RAM sticks and not 4 anymore. I can still get my same high FSB, CPU clocks the same not counting a little bit better due to better HSF. RAID is running well, nothings overvolted to hell or overheating, no crashing, orthos still gives me stable for overclock testing.

So whatever is screwing up the onboard sound is creating false positives in memtest. I know the southbridge controls onboard sound, PCI-E and RAID. RAID 0 is working flawlessly and is actually a little above average for 2 drives of this type, 180MB/sec avg read? Wow. So I really don't think the southbridge itself is damaged for some reason. I even dissconnected everything off the board including all fans, removed the battery and reset bios. Nothing on the board is visually damaged in any way, the Realtek chip looks fine, I don't smell anything burnt. I even grounded myself and started touching various resistors, jumper like pins, etc to drain any and all energy still in the board. Put it all back in and I still get the same thing, weird errors in memtest, onboard sound is showing something in windows but is not functional.

I have no idea what happened to the onboard sound or what is causing the false positives in memtest. I even have my RAM overclocked to 1Ghz right now and it is very stable, so the fake errors in memtest don't seem to be causing direct instability... yet. I really don't want to have to go back to the retailer and ask them to test this board and RMA it if needed.. I already sent back my dead P5WDH and sure enough they said it was dead, so thats been RMAed. I hope this is just some kind of setup issue of something iam overlooking and its nothing bad like a damaged board.
    Last edited by GiggaByte; 12-29-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Default Re: P35-DS4 partially fried or what?

I don't know if this will help or not. Some folks have had reported problems with the F9 BIOS and certain types or Brands of RAM. If you're using the F9 Bios you might want to try F8 and see if it helps. It's just a thought and I hope this helps you.

Tim

Ok heres the rundown.. its fixed but yet its not fixed..

I started by flashing to F8 as suggested, and the false positives in memtest dissapeared. I flash back to F9 and the 000dfeedf18 error returns instantly. So ok ill stick with F8, seeing that problem got fixed I assumed the onboard audio was fixed as well, its sort of both. I removed the POS sound card and enabled the onboard audio. It still appeared as "PCI device" in windows and Realtek's drivers still failed to to install properly. So after looking at my desktop for at least 30 mins trying to think of something I didn't try yet it came to mind. I know the southbridge runs the onboard audio, and the only thing that changed with the southbridge compared to before when it was working was adding RAID 0, even RAID 0 was working perfectly. So I start tampering with various bios options such as SATA/IDE options as there might of been a setting which was causing a conflict, nothing worked.

So I dissconnected both Seagates, turned off RAID in bios and connected my old Maxtor again since everything was still on it. I boot windows and get into desktop and look! I hear sound, but it was very staticy. It was the windows sound you hear when your loading desktop. So after hearing that bad sound I thought the ALC889A chip itself is damaged. I play some songs and they all play normally and sound the same as they always did. I restart and this time the loading desktop sound played normally. So I thought whatever and left it as that. I guess my sound chip is fine, the board is fine.

The problem was/is... RAID... who would of guessed. I don't know if its a problem with the bios itself when using RAID on ICH9R that conflicts with the onboard sound, or if its a problem with the ICH9R itself. Whether if its a problem with all ICH9Rs or I got a "bad" one. I tried connecting the 2 Seagates again and the onboard sound was silent again so its for sure the RAID thats some how stressing the southbridge. The only other option I have left is RAID with the GIGABYTE SATAII chip which I am going to try after this post. Since thats not using the ICH9R I would hope the sound will still work.

Iam going copy/paste this whole thread and send it to GIGABYTE and one to Intel, between the two I should get an answer on why RAID will not work on my ICH9R without cutting out the onboard sound. If there is anyone reading this that is using the ICH9R with RAID 0 and using onboard sound can you please post here if you have or had any problems with the RAID or onboard sound? Using the same P35-DS4 revision 2.0 is prefered but not a must.

On with RAID 0 using the GIGABYTE chip.. *crosses fingers*

Interesting. Sounds like a combination of problems. Glad to hear F8 fixed the memory. I wonder if there is an IRQ conflict with raid controller enabled and the onboard sound? Keep us posted!

As a side note, you could check your resources in device manager and see if there may be a conflict and manually assign a different IRQ for sound.

Tim
    Last edited by Stilly; 12-28-2007 at 06:38 AM.

Well RAID 0 is setup on the GIGABYTE chip and the onboard audio still refuses to work correctly. It still appears as "PCI device" and the drivers still fail to reconize it. The problem has to be one of these:

-ICH9R is "bad"
    -ICH9R has a unknown bug with RAID 0 and the onboard sound (could I be the first one out there to discover it?)
    -Current bios for this board all have a bug with RAID 0 and onboard sound
    -ALC889A sound chip is "bad" (it works when NOT in RAID 0)
    -ALC889A sound chip does not agree with RAID 0 for some reason
    -The board itself is damaged somehow
    -OS problem when working with RAID 0 and onboard sound

It HAS to be one of those, but what... Iam stuck... I guess I will go back to using my very VERY old POS sound card just to get sound with RAID and go back to ICH9R for RAID as its faster than using the GIGABYTE SATA chip.

I hope Janus at GIGABYTE gets a good read on this. Here is my full system specs:

-E4500 @ 3.33Ghz with Zalman CNPS9700 NT
    -4GB (2x2GB) OCZ PC-6400 Vista Performance Platinum DDR2 @ 1000Mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v
    -2x Seagate 250GB 7200.10RPM SATAII 16mb cache in RAID 0 128K stripe
    -Windows XP SP3 v3244
    -GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Revision 2.0 bios F8
    -BFG 650W PSU
    -Optowrite DVD burner
    -LG CD burner/DVD drive combo
    -Sapphire X1900XT 512MB PCI-E with Arctic Cooling Accelero X2
    -Old CMI8738 sound card
    -Case is an iCute 0408SL-4GA-BB

I tried on stock everything already and no change.
    Last edited by GiggaByte; 12-28-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Well OMG.. my last effort to get onboard sound with RAID 0 working has worked! I grabbed XP x64 and slipstreamed all the current updates for it as well as the latest drivers and installed it. Long behold it works! I guess theres something wrong with XP x86 with my exact setup.. and I also get to use my extra 500MB of RAM since I have 4GB and a 512MB video card. I was about to take the board back to the retailer.

Hi, i also have problems in XP x86 with realtek sound, S/PDIF optical isnīt working, high piching sound when moving cursor and when doing loudspeaker test and yesterday (after 3 weeks of using the very same hardware in my computer) Windows suddenly found a new SATA RAID controller! Figure that out.. Have only this Windows so canīt change to an other.

Rev. 2.0 but BIOS F7

Problem located, not MB.. (thank you)
    Last edited by dosign; 01-07-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Thread Information