Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GA-P34-DS4 Rev 2.0 Multithreading

Default Re: GA-P34-DS4 Rev 2.0 Multithreading

Just got done reformatting and it didn't goes as smoothly as the first time. For some reason the audio drivers will not install, and even when Windows searches the web they cannot find any. I tried going to the Gigabyte site and downloading the audio drivers (Realtek) from there but those will not install, either. I keep geting the same message: Realtek Audio Driver Failure.

The same thing is happening with the ATI update. This time I went and downloaded it from the ATI site instead of using the CD, but it will not install. I have tried three times now, even trashing the downloaded file and getting a whole new one. I keep getting the same error message with this: ATI Video 8.2-application failed to initialize properly.

I have uninstalled all the ATI stuff, downloaded the update AGAIN, and trie re-installing. No go.

I am at a total loss. Time for a bottle of Excedrin..........

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Try doing it in safe mode. Are you using 32bit or 64bit? if 64bit you may need to hit F8 in boot options to disable driver signing

I am using Windows XP Home I believe that's 32-bit. I am going to try Driver Cleaner Pro. I just downloaded it. I have to uninstall all the drivers first and then reboot. I'll work on this stupid video driver problem then tackjle the Realtek issue next.

Uninstalled all the drivers, boot into safe mode, ran Driver Cleaner, reboot, and then this time I went and downloaded JUST the driver and Catalyst. Installed each one separately and rebooted again.

Everything seemed to go all right until I went to start the Catalyst program and I get another error saying some application can't be found. I give up. I'm going to reinstall Windows again tomorrow, but first I'm going to run KillDisk and completely wipe my HD before I do. This time I'm not even going to bother with the stupid Catalyst program. The ATI driver installed without any trouble.

Hopefully the Realtek audio will install correctly this second time.

Ya, you dont really need the catalyst center anyway, you can use atitray tools or what I use atitool. So yeah just do the driver

Ya know you can login as admin, and delete the normal "Admin" account and then just create a new user and it will be the same as a clean install

To login as the REAL ADMIN download this TweakUI from Microsoft>>>>
    Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    Go to the logon section and enable admin account, then reboot or logoff and logon as admin, then delete the user account you are using now and create a new one. It will be like a new install.

You can also do this account business from gpedit.msc or secpol.msc I forget which, look for accounts and enable the admin one then go in and delete the other(From within the admin account) dont delete that one until you are logged in as admin. But much easier to just use the tweakui app

You know what, I might just spring for another video card - nVidia, this time. I've had my eye on this GIGABYTE GeForce 8600GT card for a while now. I never had any of these issues with nVidia cards.

I still can't figure out what's going on with these Realtek audio drivers. The first time I installed XP everything went fine. Now Windows cannot find any updates for the drivers. I'm stumped.
    Last edited by desktop; 02-17-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Maybe windows installed its own, does it show in device manager? Have you already installed all Microsoft updates? If not do that first before you start trying to figure it out as it may just need a unrelated update

All ATI here, so no comment there. At least it does come with a zalman, but not many reviews on it, there anyway.

Looks like they also skimmed on the ram heatsinks, so you would have to get you some of those

Do you by chance have the wrong setting for "Init Display First"? Correct would be PEG or PEG2 the latter for the bottom slot
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-17-2008 at 01:02 PM.

In device manager I see yellow question marks for the video drivers (along with the audio drivers). Now the ATI drivers installed, but it's the Catalyst program that screws everything up. It always says it needs Net 2.0, which is not one of the required updates installed when I visit Windows Update so I always have to install that separately. But even with that installed the ATI utility does not operate. It gives me various error messages saying it can't find this file or that file.

The Gigabyte card was just my own personal choice. I also like XFX cards, like this one here. A lot of people recommend EVGA nVidia cards. If I actually do get another card it would most likely be an XKX or one of the EVGA ones.

Do you by chance have the wrong setting for "Init Display First"? Correct would be PEG or PEG2 the latter for the bottom slot.
    Where would this setting be located?

Hmm, I have NO issues with the ATI drivers full suite, and we have the same system and hardware so I think maybe something else you are installing before that may be causing the errors. Now as far as .Net being needed, I cannot verify that it is but I assume so anyway, I just say that because When I install vista, I right then in install all updates, optional and critical. So It gets installed, along with .net 3 as well.

Init setting is in BIOS, in the advanced bios features. PCI is the default, and you are using PCI express so you would need to set it to PEG for the top card, or PEG2 for the bottom X4 slot if you are using that one instead which I doubt.

I dont know if this has any bearing on your issues, but it could help

I think also you should go to windows update, and restore any hidden updates you may have hid, and install ALL updates optional or not, one of these has to be causing this issue for you I would think because of our hardware being the same and trying to use the same drivers....I have no issues, but I am using 8.1 not 8.2, but just cause I havent grabbed it yet(I dont game so no biggie to me)

Ya, I hear that is a decent XFX card as well, I have only owned MSI nvidia cards and they were ok, but I like looks alot and have just been over the years sapphire only for the most part. They are GREAT company and quality cards I have never had a issue with any of them X800 and up is where I started using them. Just grabbed me a X1950 pro 256MB on the bay for 69$ tonight so I will be listing my 1650Pro if you want it I can give you a heads up, unless you plan to go ahead with your upgrade (Which is probably best)

Although I suggest you do the updates properly after a full uninstall and reboot then install updates, then reboot and then install the catalyst suite again before you go spend 100$ ya dont need to. You should install .Net 1-2-3 and all the updates that go with each one.

You know, the weird thing is that I have a cheap ($30) Radeon PC graphics card in my old system and it has worked flawlessly since I installed it. Of course I never used the CD that came with it or even updated anything on it from ATI.

Ok, so here's the plan .... reinstall OS, visit Windows Update and get all the updates, including the "optional" ones. I don't know about hidden ones. What's odd are the Realtek drivers. I didn't have any of these issues when I first installed the OS. Now all of a sudden I can't get these fixed. Which is weird.

I think this time, after all updates, and providing Windows automatically downloads working drivers for Realtek and the graphics, then I'm going to leave well enough alone and not install any ATI garbage.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information