Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious problems booting new system

Default Serious problems booting new system

I received all the parts today from Newegg for my new build.

MB=GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.1 (F8 BIOS)
    CPU=E2160 1.8 GHz
    Memory=Crucial Ballistix 2GB kit (from approved list)
    Video Card=Gigabyte 8800 GT 512 MB (because it's shorter then standard)
    HDD=Seagate SATA II 160 GB
    ODD=Sony DRU-830A DVD Writer, IDE
    PSU=650 Watt

Got everything hooked up, fired it up and it will POST and I get the 1 short beep, it shows the CPU, Mem & drives then the screen clears and won't go no further. I can get into the BIOS no problem everytime I want.

I tried flashing the BIOS to F10 & F11 but no change.
    I tried setting the HDD to different ports.
    It just will not boot from ANYTHING not even a floppy.
    I even tried booting from an old IDE HDD that has a copy of XP installed on it but no change.
    Put it back to F8 BIOS, set the mem volt to it's standard of 2.2v but nothing. Tried 1 stick and in the both sets of slots.

The BIOS shows everything there and all seems right but it will not go past the POST.
    Also if it sets for a bit even though I am past the opening screen where you choose to go into the BIOS or whatever I can still hit DEL and get into the BIOS, this seem odd from past experience.

If I hit any of the other choices they either do nothing or it says preparing to enter (whatever) but it won't go, not even into the Qflash but I can get to Qflash through the BIOS then F8.

It's like it doesn't know what to do next.
    Anybody got any ideas?
    I'm at a loss for what to do next.
    I don't want to wait a week turn around for RMA but may have to.

Thx, Q

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Serious problems booting new system

How do you have the drive set up in these attempts, On Intel Controller or Gigabyte one, as the choices in BIOS will need to reflect your plugin choices? Ya do have to load the gigabyte or intel sata drivers which I am sure you know, but yeah it should have at least booted with the IDE drive. If you had the settings correct in the BIOS for IDE. Try that IDE drive with nothing else installed Meaning no dvd/cd drives, I have seen issues with SATA cd/dvd drives, I see you said IDE dvd drive but still try just the ide hard drive and nothing else. Post some pics of your bios settings in the hard drive area for this if you can

1 Beep means Successful boot

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-31-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Thx for the reply, yeah I tried all that already, unfortunatly no help.
    I don't have a camera so no pics but I can list them.
    Give a few minutes to write them down.
    any particular ones you want?
    thx,Q

btw, I tried both controllers and AHCP aswell

ok, got some

btw that was AHCI not P

standard menu it shows the drives fine, currently just the IDE drive

Advanced menu I have reset the boot order but have tried it set to default as well

Integrated menu SATA/RAID is set to disabled but have tried AHCI as well
    SATA ports 0-3 native is disabled but have tried enabled to
    Onboard SATA/IDE enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE controller mode set to IDE

thats all that seem relevant for this part.

if you want any others let me know.

TIA, Q

also, whats up with the power phase LED's I have 2 green, 1 yellow, 3 red in that order left to right.
    Last edited by Qyv10; 01-31-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Hmm, well without full pics I wouldnt be positive but those sound like you know what you are doing and they look to be correct. I just mainly asked because with 2 onboard raid drivers and a ide controller as well some not so knowledgeable people may be confused.

The phase LEDS will be on until you turn of speedstep, EIST, TM2 and those types of settings, it is a DES (Dynamic Energy Saver) feature. Yours run sidways? Hmm Mine run up and down

Here is what I have my drive setting on for RAID on Gigabyte Ports(purple) so you would have the same for the purple ports except for instead of raid you would have IDE. This PDF I made to help someone overclock a 965-S3 but the disk settings are the same for P35-DS4 as it is what I have now

Xeon 3075 3.2 settings 965P-S3 .PDF View at 75% or it looks Sh~Ta(Hard drive pages are the same minus the Intel Raid)>>>>
    Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9fmzlbycwls

I know that may not help you at all, but just thought I would post them incase you see something you missed. Boot Drive order SCSI(Raid for me) Your main disk for you.

If you want me to take some pics of my DS4 for you just to be sure I can but it is RAID as well, let me know

Hey, have you tried different SATA cables? Just a thought

I looked at your PDF, looks close to the DS4 BIOS.
    I guess my phase LED's do run up/down just how you look at them. no big

With it set to AHCI it won't load the AHCI BIOS but does go through the motions for checking it then finds "no devices" then doesn't load it. So no help there how ever if I set it to RAID it will go into the RAID setup utility and see my drive but I only have 1 drive so can't do anything.

After that I went into the BIOS and hit load profiles and it said last known good, so I loaded that just to see which one it was and it was the RAID one.

I REALLY don't want to go spend another $75 just to get another HDD I don't need and find out it won't work. If I knew it would work I would do it.

Do you know if the RAID/AHCI BIOS is completely different from the regular one as far as the drive setup goes? It seems to be but I have never used RAID before.

Looks like I will just have to RMA this thing, don't know if I should get another one or just get the $50 more Asus I wanted to begin with. I'm already a little over budget anyway.

Thx, Q

Well, I find the AHCI takes longer to load, but no it has nothing to do really with BIOS, I dont know why it says that. It is just a control for NCQ drives. I dont use it cause it takes even longer to load your system and doesnt really offer much improvement. RAID itself doesnt do that, You do load a driver to install your system but other then that it starts normally. Alot faster then one drive.

I was gonna get ASUS for the past 2 boards, but reading all the horror stories with asus at newegg I thought I better stick with giga, and have been super happy with them.

You dont have ANY extra drives? They dont have to match you could do RAID JBOD with 2 of any size disks, just to see if that would get ya in there or not. And if so then you could buy a new matching disk and do raid 0.

I bought my disks at newegg pretty cheap, I dont know what size one you have now but if it is 250GB then you can get one at newegg for 60$. Thats what I use for raid-0 2x250gb, and a 250gb storage I have on the intel controller.

Wish you had a camera so you could post some pics of you settings pages, It would help very much. Try to find one before you decide to rma it, Could just be one setting you are missing

well, I give up.
    It's going back.

I tried some more stuff today but still no good.
    I even tried putting in my old SCSI board and CD rom with no help.
    I tried overclocking/underclocking, all kinds of stuff.

Some good news, I think I have a winner in the CPU.
    I got it up to 3.42 GHz with a small bump in vCore and it will take 3GHz at stock vCore.
    at 3GHz and (normal) 1.28v it is only at 37 c in the BIOS menu with the stock HSF running at 800 RPM.

For what ever reason it will NOT got to 400 FSB, I can do 385 but that is the limit.
    The memory will not go above about 860 MHz.

When I set this up to 333x9 = 3GHz and mem is at 800 it seems stable within the BIOS, no boot so can't check farther then that.

Hopefully I can get the new board by this time next week.

Pretty much ruined my days off :(

Thx for the help, Q

Well, I wish you luck. Hopefully you are RMA'n to reseller and not gigabyte, I hear that takes 2-3 weeks or more

yeah, I RMA'd it to Newegg.
    Hopefully I get it back before my next days off so I can get it together and get it working.

As far as the first one, no matter what my settings in the BIOS were it should have boot from something with the failsafe or optimized defaults but didn't.

Thanks for all the help, I will keep you posted about the new one.

Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information