Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte P35-DS4 - Which Board?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte P35-DS4 - Which Board?

Yeap, Asus used to be Better then now. All I see nowadays is asus complaints. And more then half of the complaints about booting issues with gigabytes are due to users not finding the right overclock settings is all, or not knowing that is the issue. So they then fall into the talk of reboot cycle and do not know they can fix it and just give up. Not all, but some for sure.

Ohh, and by the way no crazy cool on DS4 2.0 or 2.1 just so you know. And my comments on DS4 2.1, it rocks. NO Vdroop and if there was to be there is loadline calibration settings in the bios anyhow. And also different from the ds3 line is more finer voltage settings for fsb, ram, and mch.

If you have the extra $50 or so, the DS4 is worth it for sure!!!

Ya know, I think gigabyte owns asus

Quote Originally Posted by a573573 View Post
    If you have the extra $50 or so, the DS4 is worth it for sure!!!

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the DS4 right now. Spending the extra 30-40 bucks is a non-issue for me, considering I already have a Q6600 and a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (with a Scythe 120mm fan) for cooling. Might as well get a board worthy of the CPU, eh?

However, just reading through all the issues people are having (here and newegg) I get a bit nervous at times. One of my biggest concerns is I've noticed the DS4 has a big metal plate underneath the CPU, and I'm hoping this doesn't interfere at all with the Ultra120E I'm going to install. In addition, there’s no internal Reset and clear CMOS button which I found in many of other motherboards in the same price range. People also seem to be having a ton of post/boot problems with these boards, which is quite worrisome. All these issues people are having seems odd. My ASUS P4P800 I've had for seven years and never had a single issue with it. Another weird thing is on the Gigabyte web site when I downloaded the manual it says GA-EP35-DS4. I'm wondering what's with the "E"?

Everyone it seems to be having issues getting their CD/DVD drives to work with RAID, AHCI, and JMicron. I was actually looking at the ABIT IP35 Pro in the beginning, because many ppl give high accolades to uGuru, which is the best mobo manufacturer supplied hardware monitor/fan control going (or so they claim). Of course the IP35 Pro has just as many problems as the Gigabyte boards.

Hopefully the HS doesn't present a problem during isntall with that metal plate on the back of the DS4 (and I don't encounter the plethora of issues others are having). Newegg appears to be selling the latest revision of this board, which seems like a good thing. Some of the newer user reviews say they received the rev 2.1 board.

So all in all I'm considering the DS4. Hopefully the RAM I purchased (G.SKILL 2 x 1GB PC6400) will work. I haven't checked on this yet so I don't know.
    Last edited by desktop; 02-07-2008 at 03:41 PM.

The big metal plate is the "CRAZY COOL" module which helps in cooling the heat from the CPU/north bridge/southbridge and maybe the MOSFETS.

The "E" you see in the EP35-DS4 means you are buying the board with DES [Dynamic energy saver] or in other words, your buying the revision 2.1 board.

Im sure all DDR2 800 or PC26400 will work. MY ADATA DDR2 800 2x 1GB worked out of the box too, although its not listed on the supported memory PDF on the gigabyte website.

If you do decide to get the DS3R, you need to think wether you want to get crossfire support or not. only the DS3P and DS4/5/Q6 series supports crossfire, albeit one card gets only x4 bandwidth.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by randomness View Post
    The big metal plate is the "CRAZY COOL" module which helps in cooling the heat from the CPU/north bridge/southbridge and maybe the MOSFETS.
    Just visited the Thermalright site and found out that the backplate of the DS4's cooling arrangement does interfere - they suggest removing it completely. Bad news there. Be nice to actually find someone that got the Ultra120E to work on their DS4 without removing the whole stock backplate. On Newegg's site I don't see a backplate on the DS4, and they are showing the rev 2.0 model. Does anyone know for sure?

I guess with that in mind I'll have to wait and see if there's a solution to be found otherwise go for the DS3R. There are no installation issues with Ultra120E and the DS3R.

They have too many mobo revisions, in my opinion, lol.

I have no interest in crossfire/SLI/dual video cards. I just want dual monitor setup is all, which the card I bought (Diamond Viper X1650 Pro 516MB) should handle nicely.
    Last edited by desktop; 02-07-2008 at 05:16 PM.

You should send an email to your shop asking the revision first of all, i wouldn't take anything below 2.0, preferrably 2.1.
    For the crazy-cool backplate, my Rev 2.0 doesn't have one, and i was disappointed by that, seems the reviewers got some inofficial "inbetweener".
    Even if it did, i don't think it would be complicated or dangerous to remove it.
    GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
    i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
    32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
    Seasonic G-550

Thanks, Rewl, but I don't want to remove anything from a brand new motherboard, especially one that cost close to $200. If it isn't able to go into the case and have the other components fit onto it then I don't want it.

What's with all the boot problems on P35 boards? Almost every forum I visit I read about boot/post issues, but then what's even more strange is I haven't found any of this mentioned on any review sites.
    Last edited by desktop; 02-07-2008 at 06:46 PM.

I have the revision 2.0 from Newegg - no backplate - and I installed the Ultra Extreme 120 with no problems.

Ah, thanks, tech. Then I guess it would be safe to say the rev 2.1 boards won't have it either. Was your UE120 easy to install? That massive HS gives me the shakes. Never installed anything on a CPU that huge before. I have an old tube of Arctic 5 laying in the junk drawer. Been there for about two years. Would that still be good enough to use?

Hopefully Gigabyte is on top of this an issues a new (and working) BIOS update to fix the problems.
    Last edited by desktop; 02-07-2008 at 06:56 PM.

The Extreme 120 was very easy to install -- as long as you do it before you have the board in the case -- it's easier than the stock heatsink. I would not spend all that money and then take any chance with the Arctic Silver, it does say that the Arctic Silver can separate if stored flat instead of vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by techtype View Post
    I would not spend all that money and then take any chance with the Arctic Silver, it does say that the Arctic Silver can separate if stored flat instead of vertical.
    Then what would you suggest? I was going to get some Arctic Ceramique. I heard it was excellent stuff. Seems a shame to waste an almost full tube of Silver 5, though. But I see your point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information