Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P32-DS3R 2.1 - endless reboots - please help.

Default P32-DS3R 2.1 - endless reboots - please help.

The motherboard on my 4 year old computer died last week so I decided to build a new system. This is my first build and its been hell. I put it all together last night and used my existing hard drive to boot to my existing Windows XP install and all was good. I copied my important files to a second hard drive and then re-booted with Vista64 DVD to install Vista. Since then its been horrible:

1. During the Vista install I noticed that whenever Vista wanted to reboot as part of the installation it would hang. I would have to press the reset button on the case and then it would come back up and continue the install as if it had rebooted on its own. It did this 3-4 times during the install, but did eventually install the OS.

2. After I got vista installed it would randomly stop working after a few minutes (varied between 5 - 15 mins). Stop working means the video would go black and the hard drive appeared to stop working. The cpu/case fans were on, but nothing was happening. This would require a reset via case button.

3. At some point when logging out of Vista I pressed the windows icon in the bottom left and clicked on where shutdown is normally in XP. I think in Vista it is sleep or hibernate. Not sure. The computer turned off (all fans and everything), but my keyboard and mouse were still lit up. When I tried to wake it nothing would wake up. I moved the mouse, hit keys, tried the power button... nothing would work. I eventually turned off the power supply and unplugged it.

4. Since then I can no longer post. When I turn on the power supply it starts to boot (without me hitting the power button on the case at all), but immediately shuts down and just goes into an endless loop. It is very short, probably less than a second of power to the fans and it shuts right back off. It pauses 4-5 seconds then the fans power up for about 1 second or less then repeat. I've seen others complain about somthing similiar, but I'm not sure if my problem is the same.

Please help! Do you think this is a problem with the power supply, ram, or motherboard? I don't know what to RMA and I don't have spare parts to try things out. What should I do?

GA-P35-DS3R v2.1 - F-9 BIOS
    4gb G.Skill PC1000 RAM
    2.4 Ghz Q6600
    MSI 8800GT
    Thermaltake 500w powersupply
    1 SATA HD
    1 Parallel HD
    1 SATA DVDRW
    USB Card reader

Default Re: P32-DS3R 2.1 - endless reboots - please help.

I messed up the subject line. This is a GA-P35-DS3R motherboard.

Default Re: P35-DS3R 2.1 - endless reboots - please help.

An update:

I cleared the CMOS... no change
    I removed 1 ram module... no change
    I removed both ram modules and try to boot with no ram installed at all... no change.
    I removed the video card... no change

At this point inside the case I have the powersupply connected to the motherboard with a CPU installed and nothing else. Which of the 3 components should I RMA?

Hi,

Put in a stick of RAM so it should boot.
    Let it run through the first cycle - and then hold in the power button for at least 4 seconds. This should force it into a fresh boot.

If this works - the problem is recovery from at Suspend to RAM event that is malfunctioning - probably a BIOS bug.

Mort

Let me know if it works :)
    Last edited by hagar11; 02-16-2008 at 04:49 AM.

I tried it out. After I held the power button down it stopped going on and off again when I turn on the power supply. Now it starts doing that when I hit the power button on the case.. but its basically doing the same thing.

I'm going to RMA the board back and get a different brand.

Wanted to give a followup for anyone with a similiar situation in the future.

Since nobody would ship a new motherboard on Saturday I decided to try a couple of other things. For reference I have version 2.1 of the P35-DS3R. Eventually I got it to work by removing the battery from the motherboard for about 10 minutes and putting it back in. After I did this it would boot to Vista. I then got the latest BIOS from Gigabyte. The strange thing is on GigaByte's website the only 2 available BIOS's are F10 and F11 for ver 2.1 of the DS3R. F10 says it is the "first release" for the 2.1 motherboard... but my motherboard shipped with F9 on it. I think this was the problem. I managed to flash to F11 and since then I haven't had any problem at all.

Moral of story... if you get version 2.1 of the DS3R you might want to check you BIOS version.
    <!-- / message --><!-- message, attachments, sig --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right><!-- controls --><!-- / controls -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4 Things Confirm...

Did You Overclock?
    Install Des Function?
    And Can You Try To Add Some More Vdimm In Bios?
    Will You Try Newer Bios?

Thread Information