Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

You should only worry about what the actual voltages applied are, such as what you would see in Everest or CPU-z.

To run those timings at that speed 2.1V is likely needed, so sounds normal to me really. And yes, all boards have a discrepancy between what you set for Vcore/Vdimm and what is actually applied

Default Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

Thanks Lsdmeasap,

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You should only worry about what the actual voltages applied are, such as what you would see in Everest or CPU-z.
    BIOS, Everest, CPU-Z etc read the same register that is the output of A/D converter. What you are saying means to me that you would trust the reading circuit but not the setting one. OK.

To run those timings at that speed 2.1V is likely needed, so sounds normal to me really. And yes, all boards have a discrepancy between what you set for Vcore/Vdimm and what is actually applied
    So do you believe that 0.25V "discrepancy" for Vdimm is somewhat "usual" for this board??? Wow! But that means that some DDR like Kingston or Geil simply won't work with this board. Even with maximum setting "+0.7V" vDDR will not reach the voltage value 2.2-2.3V nominal for those rams.
    GA-P35-DS3L, BIOS F9
    2x1gb TWIN2X2048-6400C4 rev 2.1
    Intel E8400 E0, Antec TP3 430W
    XP32 SP3

Well what I meant what the voltage you see in everest/CPU-z at idle and load both differ from what you set in the BIOS anyway due to Vdrop and Vdroop. But basically yes, worry about what you see in those at idle and load not what you set in the BIOS.

Yes, variances in memory voltage between various set amounts is normal. Sometimes this is more or less, depending on the board model and or BIOS in use at that time. 2.2-2.3V is not what the memory needs to run always, but rather what you are allowed under warranty to use safely.

That is a large difference for sure though, is this with all BIOS for your board? If so it very well could be your board, there is Vdimm hard mods out there if you feel up to that I could link you to the info likely

Well what I meant what the voltage you see in everest/CPU-z at idle and load both differ from what you set in the BIOS anyway due to Vdrop and Vdroop. But basically yes, worry about what you see in those at idle and load not what you set in the BIOS.

I am aware of voltage issues with this board as far as CPU core voltage is concerned. vCORE drooping in a range of 30-60mV is quite common for this board. The vCORE readings normally consistently track the settings. And vCORE drooping is made by design for a reason.

In my case vDDR is in order of magnitude higher and the readings don't follow the settings whatsoever as shown in original message. Interestingly enough "+0.1V" does not change the voltage at all. The vDDR idle/load difference is very reasonable (~50mV).

That is a large difference for sure though, is this with all BIOS for your board?
    I used F7 and F9 version. Did not noticed a difference as far as Vdimm is concerned.
    If so it very well could be your board, there is Vdimm hard mods out there if you feel up to that I could link you to the info likely
    Yes, I have a feeling that this is a problem with my board. I would appreciate if you could send me the link for Vdimm hard mods
    GA-P35-DS3L, BIOS F9
    XP32 SP3

Yes, Vcore Vdrop and Vdroop are by design of course. Sometimes though, much more than needed is applied at various settings and it varies between boards and BIOS revisions as well.

Did you ever try clearing your CMOS and reflashing the F9 BIOS? Just something else to try. I will look around now for you and see if I can get you the hard mod info for P35

Did you ever try clearing your CMOS and reflashing the F9 BIOS? Just something else to try. I will look around now for you and see if I can get you the hard mod info for P35
    Yes, I definitely, cleared CMOS few times. I'll try to reflash BIOS, but I doubt it can help. As I said I used F7 for 1yr+ with exactly the same result. With older CPU I simply didn't care much because I did not overclock the memory (almost) using EPP configuration though.
    GA-P35-DS3L, BIOS F9
    XP32 SP3

Please use Qflash to update your BIOS, not @BIOS!!

Please use Qflash to update your BIOS, not @BIOS!!

Great link! Wow! At least, I want to check the voltage. And the components are big enough. Don't have urgent need to modify the board though, since I have some voltage margin.

Yes, I use qflash to update BIOS.

It is nice to communicate with you. I guess you are a professional. Thanks for everything!
    GA-P35-DS3L, BIOS F9
    XP32 SP3

Glad I could help! Just so you know, Vcore mod is also posted in that thread.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information