Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phenom support "older" motherboards

Default Phenom support "older" motherboards

Hello,

I'm wondering why Gigabyte is, in my oppinion, slacking in supporting the Phenom. In theory every AM2 CPU is backwards compatible to other AM2 sockets.

I am the owner of a GA-M59SLI-S5 motherboard with the F8 BIOS (latest) and I was told by the Dutch Gigabyte support desk that this board does not support the quadcore Phenom CPU's. In my response I asked wether these CPU's are just officially not supported by Gigabyte and might work, or if they technically can't work on the board. I didn't get a clear answer (read: "They are not supported").

I'm asking this because I want to upgrade my x2 4600+ with a Phenom 9600 and don't really feel like replacing a motherboard I bought for 180 euro's 1,5 years ago which is working perfectly fine (it is a by far the best board I've worked with so far).

So, to make a long story short:

- AMD claims every (or at least most) AM2 motherboard can support Phenom CPU's. However a BIOS update might be neccesary. Can anyone confirm if the CPU will work on this board, and if so...will the F8 BIOS do the trick?

- If a newer BIOS fix is needed (which GB doesn't supply as of yet), does anyone happen to know if they're actually working on it or if it's something that's been abandoned?

Kind regards,

Michel

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Phenom support "older" motherboards

Did you see this bios notes for the update here?
    http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Support/Mo...ProductID=2302

I dont use AMD so I am not sure if those specifics apply to what you are asking>>>

Maybe Janus will tell you better, but it looks like it may be supported from what I see there in the update notes for F8. Is the CPU you are asking about one of the G1/G2 stepping cpu's? If so it looks to be supported to me

Thank you for your response.

I did see the release notes, but from what I can tell (or actually Google) the Gx stepping codes are from the dualcore AMD's. I think the quadcores are coded Bx. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, Like I said I dont have or even have used AMD so I wouldnt know for sure either. Have you spoken to anyone at AMD, maybe if you tell them what that update says they could tell you if it possibly could work or not?

Sorry I am not more help, just never have used AMD

Mailed AMD about this in the meanwhile, no response yet though. Doubt they can give me a straight answer on this one I guess. It'll have to come from Gigabyte.

Well, ya know if you really want that CPU you would need a new board if it doesnt support it anyway. I would buy the CPU, and if you need a new board save and get that, if not you would have the CPU and then use it on your board!

I know it doesnt sound good that way but it may be your only option to find out for sure

Well that would be the very last thing I could do. But initially I was looking for a relatively cheap CPU upgrade. Buying a new motherboard doesn't exactly make it cheap anymore. And it would be a waste "trowing" this current great board away just because Gigabyte wont support the Phenom via a BIOS upgrade.

I would just like an official answer somewhere before I find out I spend 200 just to pay another 150 for a new board. In that case I would even consider buying a better performing and bugfree Intel (Q6600 or something).

YA I am not sure and wouldnt want to tell you yes and be wrong, maybe Janus will know for sure and post here and let you know

Let's hope so. Janus! Where are you?! ;-)

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Support/Mo...ProductID=2302

If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information