Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P35C-DS3R - IDE Recognition Failure

spec is offline Member

Default Re: P35C-DS3R - IDE Recognition Failure

yes, exactly as you have written above, with the exception of changing the SATA drives to slave, no need to do that, both can remain as master...
    Also I will suggest you to enter the BIOS and use detect to check if the BIOS is able to read the drives.... Good luck...
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

SATA drives do not have master and slaves. the jumper on the back is used to limit speed to 1.5Gb/s or SATAI

Remove them to enable SATAII 3Gb/s

Do you have USB legacy storage detect enabled? If so disable that, and also disable USB keyboard and MOUSE while you are there, see if that helps

spec is offline Member

Yes, you can follow the approach as given above, but at least place your primary (boot) HDD as master.
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Ok then, here's a step by step...

1. Two SATA HDs set as standard (hence masters) at SATA ports ChO and Ch1
    2. Clear CMOS - fine, but when restarted, BIOS created a duplicate of my 500GB drive at Ch4 (master by default)
    3. Set Ch4 Master to none in the BIOS & disabled USB keyboard, mouse, and legacy support as suggested by LSDmeup
    4. Boot to OS (this works now Ch4 is set to none) - my 2 SATA HDs are present and can be accessed
    5. Shutdown, attach IDE DVD drive as master
    6. Check BIOS - DVD drive not visible
    7. Check in OS - DVD drive not visible

8. Attach IDE DVD drive as slave
    9. Check BIOS - DVD drive not visible
    10. Check in OS - DVD drive not visible

Both SATA drives still functionned fine when DVD drive was attached

hmmmmmmmmm........
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Mobo = Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
    - CPU = Intel E6750 Core2Duo (1,333FSB and 2.6Ghz)
    - RAM = 2GB OCZ Reaper 'heatpipe' (DDR2 and 1,066Mhz)
    - Graphics = EVGA 8800GTS (320MB)
    - Sound = Onboard
    - PSU = OCZ GameXtreme (850W)
    - HDs = 2 SATA Seagate Barracudas (250GB, 500GB),
    - Opticals = 1 IDE Pioneer dual layer +- DVD RW
    - Additionals = Wi-Fi card, eSATA bracket

You still loose me when you say SATA "Set as" there is no set as when it comes to SATA, so what are you doing that leads you to mean that?

And ok, I am kinda confused by this dvd drive now as well. Have you tried a different cable? Have you tried a old dvd/cd drive that HAS NOT been giving you a issue before to see if it is the cable or controller for sure? And have you set the dvd drive to CS and tried that?

Did you install the latest BIOS, and have you installed the newest Intel .inf files?

By saying 'set as' I mean that during POST, the 2 SATAs are classed as IDE Ch0 Master and IDE Ch1 Master. I appreciate that with SATA drives there are no master or slave settings and the jumper just puts a limit on the transfer rate, although I don't know why anyone would want to limit transfer. Mine are working at 3gb/s and are in SATA ports 0 and 1 on the mobo.

The two slave positions for the channels above are empty, and I'm also confused as to why the BIOS states the ports as IDE channels when they're actually SATA. anyway, that's what I mean.

--------------
    My confusion with the drive is now getting beyond words. I've tried a new IDE cable, and I've also tried my old/current IDE cable and DVD drive in question in another PC. They all work and so the cable and drive are fine; it must be the mobo/BIOS which is not allowing the PC to detect IDE devices.

I've tried an old IDE CD drive which didn't open, and I've also tried an old HDD which spun up. Both of these weren't detected in the BIOS or OS and both were in my previous build so I know that they were working fine. I've tried the cable select option too, and I even tried to override it with jumper positions to see if that altered anything.

--------------
    Totally no luck.
    From what I can gather, my last effort it to install the newest .infs as you say, and then test it, and finally update the BIOS.

Which version of the BIOS are we up to now? I realise that my F2 is a dinosaur, but I also know that different releases tend to bias towards optimising different technologies/setups. If best, I'd probably choose a version that isn't beta and that has been known to not create the reset cycle which plagues these gigabyte boards

thanks
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Sound = Onboard

Ok, I see what you mean now. Just had me lost there for a second

They are classified as IDE because that is how BIOS's see SATA drives I suppose, the only other thing they would be called is RAID otherwise they are in IDE mode.

Bios updates often do more then just fix or add new tech, they often fix such errors as this. The .inf download will also be on the page for your board, be sure to go to the correct page, I posted BIOS page on page 1 post#4 for 2.1 boards, check your box or in the lower part of your board under the PCI slots for the revision # it will be in the corner. I assume you have a rev 2.0 or 1.X because that is the only pages with F2 BIOS, and it is the almost the original BIOS. The BIOS revisions are up to F10 now.

If you have never installed the Intel .inf file that could likely be the sole cause of this issue, I say this because I was setting up a quad boot the other day and XP 64 didnt see my mouse or keyboard until I installed it (That was hard HAHA)

2.0 Files
    Bios
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/...ProductID=2577

.Inf (Chipset)
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/...ProductID=2577

1.x Files
    Bios
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/...ProductID=2524

.Inf (Chipset)
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/...ProductID=2524

If you have a Floppy use that to flash by hitting the END key at boot time with the bios update on the floppy. If you dont have floppy you will have to enable Legacy USB storage detect in the BIOS for now, and put the update on a USB stick. I do suggest you update as that for sure as well

The reboot cycle is 95% caused by user error in overclocking, rarely by incompatible hardware or a simple BIOS update. As long as the BIOS update is properly done then it will not cause this issue. Almost always it is a bad overclock by trying to tight of memory timings or to high of a overclock without enough voltages. You should not at all worry about a BIOS update causing this solely.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-21-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Well......... :( the drive is still not recognised.

I did install the chipset and board infs as a standard part of installing my OS/s last year, but even after the update drivers you posted the link to, the board still isn't recognised (it's a revision 1.1 by the way). I used Qflash and updated to the F10 BIOS, and this also hasn't fixed the problem. After installing and updating these two, I even replicated nearly all the tests which I had done in the start of this thread to see if they yielded better results.

Thanks for all the info about the IDE/SATA recognition and reboot cycle etc lsdmeup, it's much appreciated. My final question posed to you all is if you have any other idea as to what could be happening?

Could it be an OS issue? Could it be anything to do with a dual boot? (I'm using this software to carry out the dual booting option http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1?Shall I just get a new motherboard and call it a day?!!

If so, I've been looking at the GA-P35-DS3L. It seems to have good reviews (aside from the occasionally over-hot north bridge), it's not expensive, and it's got all the features which I'll actually use instead of paying for those I won't take much advantage of.

thanks again,
    Mike
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Sound = Onboard

Hmmm, well I am not sure what to suggest here. I have never heard of easybcd causing this issue, but it very well could be. I just use the normal vista boot menu's, and vistabootpro. I have a quad boot setup and no issues, but I do use all SATA drives so I could not say if my board has issues with IDE drives, well I do have IDE disc drives.... With no issues.

Will gigabyte RMA you a new board? If you decide to go that route and get a new board, I would still rma that board and then sell it on ebay when you get the new one

I've never heard, or even read following a quick google search, of anything like this happening with easyBCD. I wouldn't expect such a basic yet troublesome problem to be overlooked in what is most probably some complicated dual boot software. I'd imagine that having all your devices as SATA is definately the way to go, but even then, your IDEs are fine...so why are mine so baffling.

I bought my board in August last year and so i'm unaware of what the RMA process will be. Even then, I'd expect that the downtime between sending my board off and getting a replacement would infact be quite a long time. I'll look into the issue however because anything's potentially better than having to find the money to buy a new mobo.

All of your help with my problem has been much appreciated however. It seriously makes a change posting a problem and actually getting constructive replies back. If anyone else reading this thread has any more thoughts or words of assistance then please let me know.

Best wishes to you all,
    Mike
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Sound = Onboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information