Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: P35C-DS3R - IDE Recognition Failure

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: P35C-DS3R - IDE Recognition Failure

Glad to at least be of some help, even though it did not help! Sorry I cannot further think of anything to suggest. Maybe, Have you done a clean NON Dual Boot in a while? I would backup what you need and try that before you decide to RMA. Format it all and install only one OS and see what happens from there

Yeah, A RMA would take a while, I hear around a month sometimes more. Is you board warranted for more then a year? Or did you mean Aug 07? If you did, then you surely have time for a RMA. If you do end up doing that, I would be sure to fully explain on paper and email the issue at hand, and also point them to this thread in email and on the letter you send with the board. That way they SURELY understand the issue, and try to fix it for you. But hopefully in the end if that where the case they would just send you a newer board anyway.

Wish I could be of more help. Ya know, If you want/can take a image of EACH page of your BIOS and post it in a zip/rar for me I'll have a look maybe there is something you are overlooking, not likely but you never know

I ran into the same problem with a GA-X38-DS4 with an ide Sony DVD. I found after doing about the same steps as you that it is with Windows handling of DMA with this chipset.

I installed the Gigabyte Sata2 driver from Jmicron and at install selected the dual pci ide controller driver instead of the raid driver as they both are included with the driver package. Then after the install and reboot it still will not show up in Windows.

Now go into system,hardware, device manager,ide controller and select the Jmicron primary channel, then select advanced settings and change your transfer mode to PIO mode only and reboot.

When Windows comes back up it will find the drive and install it. This worked for me, but I still get audio studder when playing dvds. I have not tried burning any disks as I have a Samsung sata dvd drive on my systen too. I hope this works for you. I forgot to mention I have the drive set to master with no other drives on the ide port.
    Last edited by Gaummer; 03-24-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: left out info
    Intel Q6600 Quad
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    4 gigs Gskill 800 DDR2
    Samsung sata dvd drive
    Sony ide dvd drive
    Western Digital 250g sata
    Western Digital 500g sata
    Msi RX2600XT 512meg Pcie video
    Ati 650Pro tv tuner card
    Creative X-Fi Extreme audio
    Windows XP SP2

@lsdmeup
    - ideally, I'd be able to install a single operating system from scratch, then see if the drive is there, put on the other OS (XP first then vista32), and hope that it's still visible. Unfortunately, i've no SATA drive to read the OS disc from and I haven't really got enough spare pieces to put my hard drive into a seperate mobo and reinstall onto the drive that way. I understand it's a supreme option for test and fix purposes though.
    - the idea of taking BIOS pictures and sending them to you is great too. The drive doesn't work with the 'fail-safe', 'optimised', or manual choices set in the BIOS however. I can't interpret any of the possible BIOS options to conflict with the drive, and this is especially the impression which I get from what's mentionned in the mobo manual to explain the choices.
    - it was Aug 07 when I got the board too. I got it from an online (and actual) retailer from England (where I live) and so I'll have to contact them about how to go getting an RMA...as well as directly contacting Gigabyte themselves.

@gaummer
    -your predicament sounds like a strikingly similar one to myself. I've also just seen this site which mentions a little bit of useful information under figure 3. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/406I'll have a look at the gigabyte site now and get the drivers.
    - I wonder if your problem is transferrable to my GA-P35C-DS3R? I've noticed that you've got the X38 chipset. I also thought that it was only the two purple (in my case) SATA ports which were controlled by the JMicron driver? The ornage ones are INTEL (where my two current HDs live and work prefectly), but maybe the JMicron driver controls the IDE channel too?

replies are as welcome as always whilst I peruse the gigabyte driver section...

thanks,
    Mike
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Mobo = Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
    - CPU = Intel E6750 Core2Duo (1,333FSB and 2.6Ghz)
    - RAM = 2GB OCZ Reaper 'heatpipe' (DDR2 and 1,066Mhz)
    - Graphics = EVGA 8800GTS (320MB)
    - Sound = Onboard
    - PSU = OCZ GameXtreme (850W)
    - HDs = 2 SATA Seagate Barracudas (250GB, 500GB),
    - Opticals = 1 IDE Pioneer dual layer +- DVD RW
    - Additionals = Wi-Fi card, eSATA bracket

Hmmmm...
    I've tried to install the 'gigabyte sata2 raid driver', listed second under the SATA RAID subsection of this page http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2551. The install failed and I was given the error of "No Gigabyte GBB36X SCSI Adapter found! Setup will terminate!" straight after the setup exe actually loads up.

I could install the first driver in the list referred to above? This is only a SATA driver, but I presume the only limitation would be between the data rates of SATA and SATAII? If all goes well, the IDE device may be recognised...but I may not be incorrect in this assumption?

I'll look for a specific Gigabyte SATA 2 Raid driver from JMicron. I get the feeling I've misinterpreted your post by looking at the gigabyte site.
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Sound = Onboard

Well I would say you need this one for single disk Or RAID>>>>
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...er&FileID=2790

Both Will be one there, just be sure when hitting F6 when installing OS that you choose the correct one The SATA driver, and not the AHCI driver. I think it would be the one at the top of the list when choosing, Just be sure you dont choose AHCI

SATA I and SATA II are not differentiated by the driver only the jumper you use or dont use on your disk. The one listed second in that list is for installing within windows (And is not needed really) you only need to install the one PRE OS install by hitting F6 when you first install windows and it asks about drivers at the beginning. The reason you get a error with that driver is you didnt load the one below it when installing the system. So to sum it up, you ONLY need to install the PRE OS install drivers when installing your System. And remember the gigabyte RAID or SATA are the purple ports, just incase

Ahhh, ok then, I see what you mean. I've never installed anything at the F6 prompt because I've never been participating in any RAID (or at least that's why I never installed anything, but I see what could be going wrong now). The problem is that I'm unable to get to the point where I can perform a fresh OS install and therefore use the F6 prompt to install the link you've posted, and then install the driver I posted in post #24.

Besides, this might be only part of the problem? Having the SATA/IDE/ACHI/and RAID options in the BIOS for how the drive controllers work,surely functions in unison with what the above driver installs would incorporate use for into my system. I played with different combinations of these modes before post#1, and none of them did the trick then to give me a working IDE drive.

I'm really starting to think that it's the IDE controller which is damaged, and maybe, at least, it's not a software or driver or BIOS setting issue. Without a fresh OS install, is there any other way which I can test this?
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Sound = Onboard

For now, try to install windows to a SATA drive on the gigabyte controller so we can test your IDE drive after that. Put on the purple ports, and no setting is needed for ide for except to set the drive by itself on a ide cable, and set all the drive recognitions on auto in the bios for the drive area.

Set your BIOS advanced page like this for SATA gigabyte OS install>>>

Ill be back later tonight, good luck and sorry I cannot stick around for longer. See you then

For now, try to install windows to a SATA drive on the gigabyte controller
    ..I'm currently unable to install windows because I don't have any kind of media drive which I can use to accept the OS CD!

My BIOS is still set on the IDE setting (as in your pic), and when I previously installed my OSs, this setting was also IDE. With it being the default etc, I didn't change it until my OSs had been correctly configured
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Sound = Onboard

Hmm, well maybe you do have a bad IDE controller then? I cant think of anything else to suggest. And yeah I guess I should have thought of that, you needing a IDE drive to install the OS. Well I suppose you have only 2 options, get a SATA dvd/cd drive or RMA. I'd get a new drive, way cheaper and faster. But that is up to you and your situation, if you can wait for a RMA and do want a new board or that one fixed you can RMA

Just to keep you all updated with the situation, I've bought a gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l.

I'm going to fit it over the next couple of days and see if it solves my problem. If so, then I'll RMA my old board and see where it gets me.

Many thanks to you all for reading and trying to help. Big shout outs to lsdmeup!

Mike
    - Case = Antec 900
    - Sound = Onboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information