Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-X38-DQ6 will not post - reboot cycle

Default GA-X38-DQ6 will not post - reboot cycle

Hello everyone - I am so glad I found gigabyte tech support. Here is my issue - I turn on the computer, it does not post and shuts down after a couple seconds and then it comes back on and repeats until I unplug the power supply.
    Here's what I have tried so far:
    Moved the 2 sticks of memory to different slots.
    Installed 2 new gig sticks of memory (Corsair xms6400).
    Replaced the power supply (Antec 550HE).
    Replaced the cpu (Q6600).
    Everything I have tried ends up with endless rebooting until I booted up with the cpu removed - the motherboard didn't reboot.
    Is it time to RMA or what? I haven't ever had a motherboard go bad in all my builds.
    Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X38-DQ6 will not post - reboot cycle

What do you have set in the MIT section? I would assume you at least need to go in there and set proper voltages for your memory

Copy and past back your settings, add or remove anything extra or left out
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Thanks for responding Lsdmeasap. I guess I may have been a little vague in my post. Sorry it's my first. I can not even get into my bios. So I can not get the settings you listed. The computer is on for approximately 2 seconds and then off. This computer had been working perfectly for 5 months and all of a sudden it won't boot. I have made no changes in software or hardware recently either. Any ideas?

Have you tried using only one stick? And can you get into Qflash (end key at boot up)?

I would suggest trying only one stick, in each slot if need be starting closest to the CPU. And also, if you have any old ram laying around that is 1.8V that would be best to start trying with, most will default to that anyway but maybe this new ram you have wont. That is likely the cause of this, incorrect ram voltages.

If none of that works, and you cant get in using qflash to reflash the BIOS then you will likely need a RMA. Does it still do the reboot if you put a Jumper on the clear CMOS jumper area, and unplug the power supply for about 5 minutes?

I just finished trying one stick nearest the cpu. I tried to get into Qflash but it wouldn't start using the end key. The rebooting is just too fast.
    I removed the battery and cleared the CMOS by using a jumper. I'm not having too much luck. Thanks for all your help though.

Well, I would say try one stick in each slot to see if that helps any. Do you have any 1.8V ram? That could be the problem, that ram may not run at 1.8 AT ALL, some do default to 1.8, some wont run at 1.8 at all.

I would say before RMA get some other type of ram borrowed or what not and try with it, unless you have some other laying around

Which XMS exactly do you have? Can you give me a link? I see the normal one I think is 1.9V, but you never know it should boot at 1.8 anyway, but maybe not. I do see one person at newegg saying it ran at 1.8 but that is xms2, and possibly not the same you have. You could call and ask corsair if it will default to 1.8 if needed by the board

Thanks Lsdmeasap for helping. I had a couple of stick of 1.8V ram but had no luck. Finally I just unplugged everything (everything means everything including the VGA, Memory and CPU) from the motherboard and pulled it out of the case. Then I laid it on a antistatic bag, plugged in the two power cables (4 pin and 24 pin from the power supply) along with a fan plugged into the cpu fan header and powered it up by shorting the two pw pins (on the front panel header) with a flat blade screwdriver. The fan plugged into cpu fan header came on for a couple seconds and never came on again. I had an old ASUS board laying around and hooked it up the same way but when I shorted it's pw pins the fan came on and stayed on like it was supposed to do. So my GA-X38-DQ6 is going back to Gigabyte. I am just surprised that the board failed after running fine since October. You can bet I will check out the repaired motherboard before installing it in my case again.
    Now I just wish my taxes weren't on that computer. Oh well note to self - I could have backed it up to a floppy, cd, dvd, thumb drive, hard drive...

Well, your Hard drives is where the data is at, your taxes I mean. You could always stick those drives in another computer and get your files just fine.

And yeah Sounds like something has went bad with the board for sure

Cheborneck, I have this problem too. The way I did to get out of the loop is to pull out the power supply cord as soon as the computer shutdown(before it turns back on again). Wait for 20 sec, then plug it back in. All settings in BIOS will go back to default. This happens on my EP35-DS3R. I believe this is BIOS problem not hardware since it occurs not just on one model and chipsets. Maybe Gigabyte rebuild their bios from scratch! :) The loop does occassionally occur after computer restart instead of shutdown in Windows.

i am not sure all of you did overclock
    but sometimes reboot cycle is because oc faild

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information