Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Beep, No BIOS Access...

Unhappy No Beep, No BIOS Access...

hi,

ds3r v1.0 owner here; first post.

new build, 1st time powered up fine, was able to update to newest BIOS and make changes to BIOS and save them at will; all seemed fine. ran latest memtest for 50 passes with no errors. then i turned things off and let things set for several days. i do not believe my power went off in my apartment, and if it did, i had my ps plugged into a ups.

anyway, today i decided to power things up again by pressing my power button. my fans started up, but i noticed by watching the power led on my case that it actually rebooted several times very quickly, and now it just does nothing--no beep, nothing on the monitor, but my fans are running, and my power led is lit up.

i tried resetting my cmos but nothing changed. now i have the battery removed and cmos shorted, and i thought i'd post here.

other specs:
    hx520w ps
    e2180
    radeon hd2400pro
    ballistix 2gb 2x1gb ddr2 800 (pc2 6400)

hope i can find the help i need...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: No Beep, No BIOS Access...

Sounds as if your other overclock settings were not correct, for it to cycle when rebooting. Not enough or to much of something, even though memtest passed it only tests the ram.

But Since you are now not able to do anything, sounds as if RMA is your only option really.

Have you tried it with only 1 stick of ram? And actually, since you said crucial, have you tried it with other ram? Crucial is notorious for dying, what voltage did you have it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sounds as if your other overclock settings were not correct, for it to cycle when rebooting. Not enough or to much of something, even though memtest passed it only tests the ram.

But Since you are now not able to do anything, sounds as if RMA is your only option really.

Have you tried it with only 1 stick of ram? And actually, since you said crucial, have you tried it with other ram? Crucial is notorious for dying, what voltage did you have it on?
    thanks for the reply!

i basically used the settings in your overclock guide, with the exceptions that i did not adjust any voltages except my ram to +0.4 for 2.2, and then changed my ram timings to 4-4-4-12--no other overclocking was done.

i have not yet tried it with only one stick, nor do i have other ram to try. i will try that later today. would removing the ram altogether help by sounding an alarm that the computer is at least trying to post?

Well, if you have a case speaker plugged in then yes, and that is what you should do. If you do not have one try to find one in a old pc you have or from a friend. If you get one that will help you ALOT. It gets plugged in by the pc on/off switches look in your manual for the exact pins, but it is on that same set of pin slots

Are you SURE you are getting the CMOS clear? I always just unplug my PC and put a jumper (Hard drive type) on the clear CMOS jumper and let it sit there for a few (I actually have a wire there now from my case reset switch) If so, put in one stick (It will work at 1.8V default so dont worry there) and see if it will boot, try each slot starting closest to the cpu.

But yeah, a case speaker is a MUST really so you can find out what the issue is better

Well, if you have a case speaker plugged in then yes, and that is what you should do. If you do not have one try to find one in a old pc you have or from a friend. If you get one that will help you ALOT. It gets plugged in by the pc on/off switches look in your manual for the exact pins, but it is on that same set of pin slots

Are you SURE you are getting the CMOS clear? I always just unplug my PC and put a jumper (Hard drive type) on the clear CMOS jumper and let it sit there for a few (I actually have a wire there now from my case reset switch) If so, put in one stick (It will work at 1.8V default so dont worry there) and see if it will boot, try each slot starting closest to the cpu.

But yeah, a case speaker is a MUST really so you can find out what the issue is better
    i will try with one stick of ram as you suggest.

funny thing is i did hear bios beeps prior to not hearing any now; i don't think i even had hooked up any case speaker or anything! weird.

thanks for your continued help, i appreciate it!

Well, you had to be dreaming of your old PC. Without a case speaker there would be no beeps

Let us know what you find out

Well, you had to be dreaming of your old PC. Without a case speaker there would be no beeps

Let us know what you find out
    OK, I did have my case speaker hooked up! And here I thought I knew what I had!

Trying it with one stick after clearing the cmos with the battery out for over 24 hours and the jumper on the clear cmos didn't allow it to reach the bios--no beeps, no display on monitor!

With no memory installed, i DID get a beeping alarm, but i'm not sure of the long/short beep breakdown!

if i sent this ballistix back to crucial and bought new memory, what do you suggest is the BEST memory for my ds3r v1.0? i have a hard time deciphering gigabytes recommended memory list!

thanks for your continued help!

Yes, it does need updated. I think you will be fine with most any ram really. I use Mushkins, which are not on the list. If you want to post about what kind you are thinking I will see if anyone has used it and get back to you. In the meantime is there anyway that you can borrow a stick from someone or find a single stick NON crucial to do some tests with just incase?

Yes, it does need updated. I think you will be fine with most any ram really. I use Mushkins, which are not on the list. If you want to post about what kind you are thinking I will see if anyone has used it and get back to you. In the meantime is there anyway that you can borrow a stick from someone or find a single stick NON crucial to do some tests with just incase?
    hope it's ok to link to these modules; if not you can remove them. i just selected the first 3 that appealed to me:
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Newegg.com - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
    Newegg.com - SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

appreciate your thoughts...

I would choose the GSkill or Super Talent (Only because of the better timings for 800Mhz) GSkill is the better brand of those 3.

All will work fine though, but you will need to manually adjust the timings to what you plan to use

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information