Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX38-DS4 with Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX38-DS4 with Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500

Yeah usually you can use either, but it is always best to use those slots closest to your CPU.

The errors are likely caused by all 4 sticks, you cannot mix and match ram and expect no errors. So that is likely the cause there.

2.2-4 is TOO MUCH, use +0.3 for 2.1-5 that will be plenty. +0.5 is WAY to much, increasing voltages is NOT the way to overcome memory errors, and DOES NOT cause them. Timings!!!!!

Specifically the static tRead you will likely never get to use 6, I suggest starting on 10 for now until you get things stable and then you can work it and the rest down as you please

It is all in timings, errors that is.

Here is what I suggest you do as a high starting point. First go ahead and set the ram freq to be close to but not exactly 1066 (Above or below a little, change FSB if you need to a little bit)

Then set the following timings ALL OF THEM, voltages I also suggest you use as well

Start high moving low as you go

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4-5
    Rank Write to READ Delay______3-5
    Write to Precharge Delay______6-8
    Refresh to ACT Delay________52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay_______4-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 <<< leave on auto or not set

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] =2.1 (This is plenty, especially if you want to keep those crucials)
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] <<< or +0.15
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25] <<< Set to what your CPU VID is or close to it
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-12-2008 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeah usually you can use either, but it is always best to use those slots closest to your CPU.
    But does the fact that I can't use the slots furtherest from the cpu indicate a problem with the board?

The errors are likely caused by all 4 sticks, you cannot mix and match ram and expect no errors. So that is likely the cause there.
    The only reason I did this was to see if the memory in those slots furtherest from the cpu would be recognised with all slots populated. I was testing to see if the red slots are working on this board.

2.2-4 is TOO MUCH, use +0.3 for 2.1-5 that will be plenty. +0.5 is WAY to much, increasing voltages is NOT the way to overcome memory errors, and DOES NOT cause them. Timings!!!!!
    2.24v is what the DDR18V shows in PC Health status with NO changes to the BIOS. Once I started increasing the DDR voltage the most I added was 0.4 volts. When I set DDR overvoltage to +0.4v DDR18V shows 2.24v. Crucial say this memory is supposed to be run at 2.2v, that's initially what I was trying to run it at. I didn't increase the voltage to overcome memory errors, I set the voltage to match the memorys rated voltage (1.8v+0.4v=2.2v) and got memory errors. It was then I went and run memtest with DDR voltage in 0.05v steps up to 2.2v, as I indicated in my last post.

The most that DDR18V has ever shown is 2.24v and that was what it got set to with NO changes to the BIOS, (or when I increased DDR voltage by 0.4v).

Does the fact that memtest reports errors when the memory is running at it's rated voltage and timings suggest the memory is faulty?

I'll go through your other suggestions and post again later.

No Crucial just has tons of issues here lately, read this>>>>
    AnandTech - Crucial's Response to Problems with Ballistix Memory

*EDIT*
    Just seen you have posted there as well, and you knew what you were getting into. So now you have learned the hard way, RMA NOW before you go nuts trying to stabilize something that just likely isnt going to happen

I would think your board is fine. You could test with other ram to be sure if you have some.

Yeah, ram that does not run at it's stated specs is not worthy of keeping. 2.24 is more then 2.2! HAHA I keep saying no matter what it says 2.2 alone is too much even if that is the spec, but granted you are getting no where with 2.24 even I would RMA that ram for a REFUND soon as you can, and get away from crucial while you can

Hey, look over my post above again I just seen some items I posted comments about didnt show because of how this boards coding works. You cannot use <<<< symbols with any spaces between <<< 's and letter or it dont show up. I have since fixed it.

But yeah, I would RMA ASAP
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-12-2008 at 03:43 PM.

OK, I'm going to RMA that Crucial ram. It gets memtest errors at rated timings and voltage, and it gets memtest errors at all voltages below the rated 2.2v. Don't know if I can get a refund or just a replacement.

But I'm still unsure about the board. As I stated earlier the board posts with 1 stick of 512mb PC4200 (533Mhz) Kingston ram, but it hangs at the Gigabyte logo (on the POST screen it's hanging just after it tests the memory as being OK). This is not normal is it? It should not hang. The memory is OK, I have memtested in another machine.

The board will boot OK with 2x512mb PC4200 Kingstons in either slots 1&3, or 2&4, but in both cases memtest hangs and doesn't start any tests. This is not normal either is it? The ram tests OK in another machine. This is all with no BIOS changes.

And the board boots with the Crucial in slots 1&3, but will not boot with them in slots 2&4. Sure that could be a memory problem, but maybe its also a board problem. There is at least one other poster here who cannot get slots 2&4 working, see this post: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex38...estions-26383/ I remember reading about similar problems in other forums with this board.

It might be a difficult question to answer, but I'm looking for confirmation that the board is OK and the fact that slots 2&4 don't work with some ram is "normal" behaviour.

Well if you bought the ram at Newegg I know for sure you can get a refund -15% restock fee

I would think it hangs with the one stick of 4200 because of timings and voltages, you are using auto when trying that right? If so try manually setting it all and see if that helps.

Memtest shouldn't hang, can you hit c and pick a test #? It is strange, but to me not strange enough to RMA a board. But that is up to you. I would say if the board works with the memory you get next time then keep it

I cannot comment about 2+4 on your board since I dont have it, but I can say that it works on mine now after a BIOS update when in the past some of the BIOS's caused errors using them. So it could be both, just need a better BIOS (Which since the board is new there will be upcoming better ones) or it could be bad slots. If you have the time and patience you could rma because of that, but only Janus could tell you if it is a known board issue or a BIOS issue.

I cannot comment about 2+4 on your board since I dont have it, but I can say that it works on mine now after a BIOS update when in the past some of the BIOS's caused errors using them. So it could be both, just need a better BIOS (Which since the board is new there will be upcoming better ones) or it could be bad slots. If you have the time and patience you could rma because of that, but only Janus could tell you if it is a known board issue or a BIOS issue.
    If Janus is reading this I would really appreciate some feedback on this DIMM slot problem. I don't know if the problems are with memory, the board, or a combinations of the two. I have F2 BIOS. The other poster here:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex38...estions-26383/ has F3 BIOS and has the problem with DIMM slots 2&4. There are reports of this in other forums, it is not a one off issue, have a look at
    AnandTech - ***Unofficial Gigabyte X38 / EX38 Chipset Thread*** over at anadtech, also a problem with DIMM slots 2&4, he is running F2 BIOS.

Would appreciate some clarification from Gigabyte on whether this board has this problem and we need to return it, or how we should tweak the board to get them to work, or if there is another BIOS coming that will fix the problem etc. It would appear that with F2 or F3 bios many people are having problems with DIMM slots 2&4 out of the box, i.e. with default BIOS settings and with all different brands of memory. (There might be other problems with my board, I haven't even installed an OS yet). I understand this is an "enthusiast" board and it needs to be tweaked, but if DIMM slots 1&3 work out of the box, why not 2&4. I think it's a reasonable question. I need those extra slots.

Yup I am hoping Janus chimes in too.

Justin

I would think it hangs with the one stick of 4200 because of timings and voltages, you are using auto when trying that right? If so try manually setting it all and see if that helps.
    Well, no amount of tweaking the settings gets it to boot with one stick of 512mb. Is there any settings you would recommend I set for this memory. It is Kingston PC-4200U 512mb. I checked Kingston web site but nothing on there matches anything written on the stick. This is memory from a Dell Dimension E520 by the way, if that makes any difference.

Memtest shouldn't hang, can you hit c and pick a test #? It is strange, but to me not strange enough to RMA a board. But that is up to you. I would say if the board works with the memory you get next time then keep it
    Nah, can't get memtest to run against those 2x512mb Kingstons, no matter what I do, different slots, different settings, whatever. Can I just clarify what is the correct version of memtest86, there is some confusion going on with this in that other thread. I am running v2.01 which I believe is the latest version. You keep saying the latest version is 2.1. If there is a 2.1 please point me at it.

And a slighlty off-topic question. I haven't installed an OS yet because of the problems I've been having. I have a Xeon 3110 in this build with a Zalman 9500 cooler. In PC Health Status System Temperature reads 42C and CPU Temp reads 34C. This seems a bit hot considering the machine is not doing anything. The NB is pretty hot to touch 10 minutes after I turn it on. This is with no BIOS changes and I have one side off the case. Might be normal but just seems a bit hot to me. Any thoughts anyone?

Hmmm, well have you tried looking at that kingston ram with cpu-z or memtest? They should show the spd so you can see the main timings.

Yes, 2.01 is what I meant. Just tried to clarify in a few threads long ago (not the one you are talking about though) that 2.0 had errors. The main thing now corrected in that thread is that you want memtest86+ which would be the one you are using, and not that 3.04 which was linked to.

NB probably is hot, I always remove and redo the paste. And actually on this one I have now my NB chip was only partially covered. You can do that, and or add a 40MM fan to it. System ( in easytune and several other apps ) as far as I can tell is the NB temps, as mine went way down after redoing my whole heatpipe setup's paste

I have not used any of the new 45nm cpu's yet, but my xeon 3075 idle is around that, lower but I use a 9700 and have superb airflow. It all depends on what you are using to read that temp, and if it is core temperature or actually CPU temps

Here is my temps for my Xeon P35-DS4 setup, at idle overclocked right now at 3.4 using 1.425Vcore>>>>

Well I have good airflow, the case is fully open! I also have gigabyte 3d aurora, nice airflow with the 3 case fans. Those temps I mentioned just seemed a bit high to me, and NB heatsink is pretty darn hot to touch. The only thing I'm reading temps with is BIOS, I haven't installed an OS yet because of the memory problems. Can't really do much 'till I get this system built. Currently waiting on some more ram. I will see how it goes then. Might put a fan on NB if I end up keeping the board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information