Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX38-DS4 with Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX38-DS4 with Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500

Sometimes case fully open is worse airflow as there is no negative vacuum.

Yeah, I would redo the Paste under the NB/Mosfets and or put a fan on the NB at least

Quote Originally Posted by dclayw View Post

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap
    Memtest shouldn't hang, can you hit c and pick a test #? It is strange, but to me not strange enough to RMA a board. But that is up to you. I would say if the board works with the memory you get next time then keep it

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Nah, can't get memtest to run against those 2x512mb Kingstons, no matter what I do, different slots, different settings, whatever. Can I just clarify what is the correct version of memtest86, there is some confusion going on with this in that other thread. I am running v2.01 which I believe is the latest version. You keep saying the latest version is 2.1. If there is a 2.1 please point me at it.
    Well, I finally got memtest86 to run against those PC-4200 Kingstons. If SPD was set to Auto the correct speed was shown as 533 in BIOS but memtest would just hang. (I was thinking this was because of the USB/e820 memory map issue as I had seen that reported by many other people). But I had all USB settings disabled in the BIOS, and that didn't help.

So I set SPD to 2.00B to give me a memory speed of 533 (FSB at 266) and ran a few memtest passes on those Kingstons with no errors, (this is with all USB settings enabled too). Now, I'm positive I had tried this before, in fact it was one of the first obvious things I tried. I did Load Optimized Defaults in the mean time, maybe that cleared something, who knows. Any ideas as to why SPD at AUTO caused memtest to hang? It didn't hang when running against the Ballistix 8500s with SPD set to AUTO. I'm just wanting to find out more about how this board works. I see what you're getting at when you say don't leave anything on AUTO.

The board also boots and runs memtest OK with a single stick of PC-4200 in any slot (wasn't doing that before either). And it also boots and memtests with the Kingstons in slots 1&3 or 2&4, so looks like the memory slots are all OK. This was concerning me because it would not boot with the Ballistix in slots 2&4, but would boot if they were in 1&3, that is very odd to me. Several other people were having problems with slots 2&4, and some others using all slots at once.

Also, what is the difference between the ABCD settings for SPD, e.g. there is 2.00A, 2.00C, 2.00D etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sometimes case fully open is worse airflow as there is no negative vacuum.

Yeah, I would redo the Paste under the NB/Mosfets and or put a fan on the NB at least
    I'll wait 'till I see how hot it gets under load.

I did reseat my Zalman 9500 and got about 3-4 degrees better temps, think I had too much thermal paste when I first put it on.

Yes, AUTO is generally not the best choice.

Those letters correspond to Northbridge straps at certain Frequency's. It should show you on the right which letter means what

Yeah, learning how little is the right amount of paste often times takes several boards/tries. I have found that when it looks to be too little it is just right, but it also depends on how you apply it. I spread mine with a razor because the line/drop method always seems to be way to much when I try that way

Oops.... didn't see that strapping info, thanks.

I'll probably be posting back when I get my new ram (I RMA'd the Ballistix)

Yeah it should be written there, now explaining straps.... That is a little bit hard to do, if you want I can try to find you some posts/guides about it. Basically it is where inside the NB changes are made at certain points to a higher freqeuncy depending on your FSB and your strap choice

RMA the Ballistix, in my opinion is good. Crucial is a good company, with good ram, but has way to many issues for me or anyone who want to run a computer 24/7 I think!

< Mushkins all the way for me

BTW what did you order for your new ram anyway?

Yeah it should be written there, now explaining straps.... That is a little bit hard to do, if you want I can try to find you some posts/guides about it. Basically it is where inside the NB changes are made at certain points to a higher freqeuncy depending on your FSB and your strap choice
    Thanks, but I can research that OK.
    BTW what did you order for your new ram anyway?
    Well, you probably won't like my answer, but the place where I bought the Crucials is going to stress test a new set for me (hopefully on the same board I have) just so we know they are at least good out of the box. I'm then going to try those, any problems with those and I'll take your advice and go with Mushkin.

Ahh, well ya know they will likely send you the exact same set back then! And I doubt they will test it on your board model either since they already know of issues their ram has with GA/Asus boards.

Too late I suspect, but when sending in things like that I always make a UV mark with 2 different color markers in not so obvious spots to ensure I do in fact get a new item instead of the same thing I sent in

Well, good luck with that, I hear the new models (which if they do send you new sets) have more issues then the older double sided ones.

Either way, good luck with your ram issues

I 2nd this I just did this to my new DS3P and the stock stuff on the NB was hard as a rock and didn't cover the entire chip surface, the SB and the Mosfets just had some kind of nonadhesive thermal pad between the chips and the sink and after it was replaced with AS5 my temps are down considerably....Also the copper color on the sinks is just that, the sinks are made from aluminum.
    Rick

I got my replacement 8500 tracers today (2x1GB as before). I know you don't recommend these settings but I wanted to test these tracers with everything in the BIOS on auto (the way the board came) except I added 0.35v to ram voltage, bringing it up to 2.192v. I ran 3 passes of memtest86 with these new sticks and no errors. With the old sticks I was getting memtest errors at these settings and with any other tweaking I applied (voltages/timings whatever).

I ran these tests with the tracers in slots 1&3 and 2&4, no errors both times. With the old tracers in slots 2&4 the board would post but hang when checking the memory during post. Conclusion is ofcourse that those original tracers were DOA, at least when running at 1066 (they actually tested OK in memtest86 at 800).

These new tracers are very HOT to touch after running only 3 memtest passes, hotter then the old ones. I thought my NB was hot, you should feel these things. (This was before I put my ram cooler on top). I guess it's no wonder they overheat if that's what is happening. But have another look at this post we mentioned earlier, there are some more updates on it now: AnandTech - Crucial's Response to Problems with Ballistix Memory Towards the bottom of page 2 (and in reference to ballistix DDR2 800s) it says, and I quote:

"She (i.e. Crucial) say alot of the RMA's coming back are testing fine. The biggest problem they are finding is that people are NOT manually setting their timmings to 4-4-4-12 and 2.2v. If you do not set your ballistix to these exact specs - THEY WILL BURN OUT! "

Interesting, I'm gonna contact Crucial direct and see what they say before I undervolt them. I have my ram cooler on now and they are staying pretty cool at 2.192v during memtest.

Early days yet but now I can at least start setting my board up. I'll post back on any further issues. Thanks everyone for help so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information