Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EX38-DS4 questions

Default Re: EX38-DS4 questions

Thanks for all of your help! Would you agree that the problem with slots 2 and 4 is simply a matter of the RAM and the board not playing well together there? I think that is reasonable considering the board does read the RAM there, it just doesn't move on. Which, I think could be explained by the fact that this RAM isn't on the approved vendors list. Do you agree?

Justin

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Could be, Crucial sucks I think personally for that and several other reasons. Get some mushkins and be done with it!

Crucial is known for dying fast, and not working on one board while it does work on another board of the exact same model.

So, If you are one of those Crucial FTW people then you will likely have these problems for the rest of your life. If not, then switch brands now before you loose more time and money

Well that would be fine but I don't have crucial. :)

Justin

Crucial sucks I think personally
    I would have to debate you on this as Crucial is owned by Micron and Micron supplies most of the IC's for all memory made by anyone.....I just saw a chart and most of Muskin's memory uses Micron IC's

Stock voltage for a Q6600 (G0) I think is 1.325, so putting it at 1.25 manually is too low, unless you find that after testing you can run it stable at that low voltage. So if you're setting manual voltages, I wouldn't set it any lower than what the stock spec. is for the stock speed.

Have you tried just one stick in the 2-4 DIMM slots? Try booting up with one stick (setting the required voltage adjustment manually for that RAM). Also set the System Memory Mulitplier (FSB strap) manually to give you a 1066 speed. There may be a couple you need to try that will equate to that speed. Then save to CMOS, re-boot the machine and see if it boots up. If it does, put the second stick into the other DIMM slot and try booting up again.

If a board works ok with DIMMS 1 & 3, but not 2 and 4, then it is generally either a board fault, a BIOS problem or a combination of both. The problem is definitely not with the RAM, unless it has been found to be faulty through rigorous testing.

I certainly wouldn't want the fan pushing up against the RAM. You may want to consider a CPU sink with a top down fan, although the NB sink may limit the size you can get. But if you can solve the DIMM 2-4 problem than obviously your existing sink/fan will be ok.

First, Sorry Hemi. I got lost there about your ram.
    And yes I know micron is crucial. Crucial is a division of micron, and you are correct kinda

Those charts you see about mushkin are mostly the older models, and 50% of those are also wrong. And those are only the $$ Expensive Ones $$ . Most all the HP and EM mushkins use Powerchips now, and those are the ones I use. The HP models, but there are some of the newer 2x2GB XP sets that now do not use micron and this is likely why. But indeed the Mushkin ones that use Micron chips are also 99% of mushkins RMA's as well. Micron are great, but have their weaknesses. Voltages and high clock speeds allow most users to overvolt them thinking it is great because they are stable, and then shortly die.

Stock voltage for a Q6600 is not a given(What you see at intel it a Range), you must look at the specific CPU's box Or VID in CPU-z or everest. And if you read what I wrote up there before I posted 1.25 I DID not Suggest that, there is a site error here that does this >>>>>

This was my comment beside CPU voltage>>>
    <<<< Set to your VID Or 1.4 or so for now. Unless you KNOW your CPU is stable at lower

But without a space between <<<< and Set the whole line does not show up, you can verify this yourself in anypost. Just make some words with some <<<< and no space between the words and you will see that line will not show.

So, for that I apologize for sure for not noticing that posted that way. I have seen things I posted before here do that, and seen and fixed them, I just overlooked that when I made that post.

So yeah sorry again, and yes 1.25 is not what you should use. but neither is auto

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I am surprised no one has the same set up as me with a suggestion for a heat sink.

I think those Zalman's would clear but I would like confirmation.

Justin
    Great questions and answers in this thread. I also have the same board and have many similar issues to you, but with Crucial ram :(

I have the Zalman 9500led on this board. Very nice cooler. It fits but it is tight. It's not the cooler itself but the bracket and clip that cause it to be a tight fit. Because of the copper heatsinks around the cpu I found there was only one way I could fit the bracket (without modifying anything). So the clip (that holds the cooler on) has to be placed through the heatpipes on the cooler (at right angles to the fan), rather then along the fan axis. This makes for a trickier install but it can be done. The clip only just cleared the big copper heatsink on one side and the very small heatsink on the otherside (near the edge of the board). It would be possible to shave little bits off the clip if you find it's too tight. Mine is just neat with no modification.

With this cooler it's best to have the fan facing the front of the case, so the fan blows hot air towards the rear case fans and that's the way I have it. Once fitted there is plenty of room between the cooler and the ram.

The 9700LED (bigger) should also fit too as I think its uses the exact same bracket/clip.

The 9700 though larger a little bit, uses a screw and no clips! I had a similar issue with a 9500 on my DS4 and sent it back for a 9700 because of this. I got it on by unscrewing the bracket a bit and then clamping down the cpu, then screwing the bracket down. NO Good for me so I just got the 9700 which has a very small cross bar and a screw right into the bracket so nothing goes over the edges at all. Much better design I say, The 9500 images at newegg showed this but it didnt ship that way!!!! Had to RMA for 9700

I wish I'd known that. The fittings for both on the Zalman web site look exactly the same. I see what you mean with the way you described fitting the 9500 on your DS4, I was just about to try that but managed to slide the bracket down beside that big copper heatsink. But then it was a little tricky applying the thermal paste.

Based on this I'd say go for the 9700.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez View Post
    Stock voltage for a Q6600 (G0) I think is 1.325, so putting it at 1.25 manually is too low, unless you find that after testing you can run it stable at that low voltage. So if you're setting manual voltages, I wouldn't set it any lower than what the stock spec. is for the stock speed.

Have you tried just one stick in the 2-4 DIMM slots? Try booting up with one stick (setting the required voltage adjustment manually for that RAM). Also set the System Memory Mulitplier (FSB strap) manually to give you a 1066 speed. There may be a couple you need to try that will equate to that speed. Then save to CMOS, re-boot the machine and see if it boots up. If it does, put the second stick into the other DIMM slot and try booting up again.

If a board works ok with DIMMS 1 & 3, but not 2 and 4, then it is generally either a board fault, a BIOS problem or a combination of both. The problem is definitely not with the RAM, unless it has been found to be faulty through rigorous testing.

I certainly wouldn't want the fan pushing up against the RAM. You may want to consider a CPU sink with a top down fan, although the NB sink may limit the size you can get. But if you can solve the DIMM 2-4 problem than obviously your existing sink/fan will be ok.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I will try what you suggested to get the ram working in those slots, even though I have resolved my clearance issue in 1 & 3. So, if I can't get the RAM working in DIMM 2 & 4, should I RMA the board?

Thanks

Justin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information