Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A word of warning about f8b

Default A word of warning about f8b

I was putting together a new build of ga-p35-ds3l rev 2.0 with a q9300. It posted fine but the temps seemed way too high, so I downloaded f8b to add proper support for yorktown.

The bios updated and verified just fine, but I can no longer post. Clearing CMOS and removing ram didn't produce any beeps.

I could RMA but I have no confidence in this board anymore. Probably going to find another.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: A word of warning about f8b

Sounds like a bad flash, did you even get in the bios to make proper changes after the flash?

Angry Re: A word of warning about f8b

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sounds like a bad flash, did you even get in the bios to make proper changes after the flash?
    Nope, it said something like "flash success, press key to restart". After that it never posted again

Hmm, well that doesnt sound like success to me!

Have you tried with a different CPU?

Beta is Beta. And BIOS flashing is a "If it isnt broke dont fix it type of thing" Too late now I know, but I would have waited for the non beta.

Temps being high dont often have much to do with the BIOS, aside from to much voltage added in their by the user.

Sorry to hear all of that though, sounds as if RMA is your only option unless you can get a older CPU to boot the PC, but I dont know if that would work or not?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-14-2008 at 11:30 AM.

This is the same reason I updated my DS3L bios from F7 to beta F8a for the E8400 even though F7 did identify the processor correctly.

The fan speeds are about 500 rpm higher with the new bios yet the temps are the same. 31C in bios and 10C degrees higher in CoreTemp. 41 to 45C seems high to me and I don't want to stress the system until I research what is happening as the new or early Wolfdales supposedly didn't report temps correctly.

Yeah, I hear they do not and some have a stuck Sensor. Intel has no plan on fixing this as it is not a problem to them since without overclocking and having such a low voltage VID none will ever get too hot

Don't all these boards have dual bios, 2 physical BIOS chips. If a BIOS update fails, doesn't it then revert to the "good" backup BIOS. Isn't that the whole point of having dual BIOS, so you can recover from this type of situation.

From what this says yes >>>>>
    -- GIGABYTE --Geeks Column of the Week - BIOS Explained

From what I have read, and been told, and see On my board no, it is all virtual

Janus can you answer this directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Beta is Beta.
    Tell that to GGTS who push people to install beta BIOS.

I am sure everytime a beta, or non beta bios is suggested it is followed with the normal bios warnings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information