Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P35 DS3 and Crucial Ballistix 8500 incompatible?

Default Re: P35 DS3 and Crucial Ballistix 8500 incompatible?

Not sure how to get that memtest working (little confused) I may need some guidance to get me going please.

My CPU is stable with a thermalright 120 and 120mm fan attached temps are 28 idle and don't go above 45 under load, i use 2 intake and 1 exhaust 120mm fans, a zalman 600w p/s also has a 120mm fan, my 8800GTX has a VF1000 and RH s88 with two 92mm fans under it so cooling is well and truly taken care of.

As for the NB sink it does get quite hot during PC play but after shut down it does cool down to just warm very quickly.

I am struggling trying to find Mushkin Model 996576 in Australia, but G.Skill is abundant, just not sure which model to look for.

I did get a little frustrated with my mobo last night but will persist and no doubt get it right eventually, anyway thanks for your help so far.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What part of memtest are you having issues with? Are you using floppy or ISO download? If iso you must burn as Image with ISO app or nero, not just brun the iso file itself onto a disk, it must be burned like you would burn a XP or Vista ISO image

If that isnt the issue, please tell me what is

As for mushkins, any black set is good! And the red sets are the best, but cost the most. Blue is the Midrange models. Black or Blue either/any model would be good.

G.Skills these are good models
    2 X 1GB 6400
    F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK And best model is F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

2 X 2Gb 8500
    F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

2 x 1GB
    F2-8500CL5D-2GBHK

Here's the G.Skill's naming rule (from July '06 to the present)...

Segment
    G: Gaming
    H: Hi-Performance
    P: Performance
    M: Mainstream
    N: Normal

Series
    Z: Zeus
    A: Ace
    K: King
    Q: Queen
    J: Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What settings are you using for your ram. That 1200 you read is just "Official" support. The board you have will run 1200+ once you get the right ram (Which isnt crucial as they have many issues, themselves and with GA boards) and once you get the right settings.
    I've been reading threads where you state Crucial memory has problems, and specifically with Gigabyte motherboards for months. I've got no idea where you get your info from, but as a system builder for over 10 years we've been using Crucial RAM with Gigabyte boards exclusively for the past several years and have never had a problem with Crucial memory compatibilty with Gigabyte boards. That's over 1000s of systems. Furthermore, every time I've run a compatibility test from Crucial or Gigabyte, both have said they are compatible.

And as for not being able to achieve 1200MHz on Gigabyte boards with Crucial Ballistix memory, here's a screen shot at 1231.2MHz to prove you wrong. In fact we've done this many times with several different Gigabyte boards from the P35-DS3P to the P35-DQ6 to the EX38-DS5 to the P45-DS3R and P45-DS3P. This is DDR2-800 Ballistix on a P35-DQ6:

Crucial Ballistix RAM is D9 chips, which are made by Micron. Micon owns Crucial. To imply that any other brand makes better D9 memory is ridiculous. Be it Giel, G-Skill, Corsair, or Mushkin, or any other brand, all D9 chips come from Micron.

The only thing that would even come close to resembling your accusations would be the fact that Crucial Ballistix DDR2 memory changed from 16-bit (double sided) dimms to 8-chip (single sided) dimms several months ago and underwent some growing pains. They have since made a revision to the 8-chip modules and are now only warrantied up to 2.0v and are completely stable.

Personally, I don't care if you like Crucial memory or not. But to insinuate that one brand of D9 chip is better with a Gigabyte board than another is just BS.

I never said D9 by anyone else is better. I never mention D9 at all.

That images does not show Crucial by the way and is pretty old. But I dont care, you are pretty much right. I just cannot go and edit all my posts from the past it would take days

And yes, you are correct I personally do not have issues either with Crucial, but MANY others do. Mostly with P35 and older 2.2 rated Crucial's (The ones that need a few RMA's) before you decide to get the new model. Crucial has sent me some of the new models for testing which I am currently in the middle of, and have found NO issues with P35 or P45 boards. >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/cruc...p35-p45-28228/

Again, I never anywhere said one D9 is better then another, but there is several D9 variations which you are surely aware of, also not discussed by me. And yes I know Crucial makes them all. PCB and Chip programming also has a impact on compatibility

D9 is also 1GB only sticks, and yes I know about the switches and such. I think the main issues users used to have was the old D9MGH 2.2 sticks and those were mostly likely just users not able to find proper settings more then anything

I do for sure no longer say Crucial is not compatible at all! Works great as far as I see and have not suggested it does not for several months I believe

One second and I will post a image of the new sets and as you said above, they will do 1200 as well

You are right for sure, I do apologize for any thing I said that may have made you offended. Like Is said in the past I was only trying to help users who seemed no matter what settings they tried still always had issues.

New crucial for sure I can say has no issues with GA Boards, Older models I am not 100% sure of, but like I said likely were just Setting issues more then anything else
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-18-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information