Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-DS3R Fails to Post after Failed Flash

Default GA-P35-DS3R Fails to Post after Failed Flash

Okay, I was trying to update my bios from F4 to F11 using the @bios utility in Vista Ultimate 64-bit (Sorry--it was free!). This has never been a problem for me before. However, this time, it gave some strange errors about failing to flash (something about a write protect error?) and quit.

I shut down my computer, and when I reboot, I get the following sequence of events:

1) Fans, DVD drive, and hard drives spin up.
    2) No output to the monitor of even a POST screen.
    3) No beep codes on the speaker.
    4) Power shuts off after a few seconds, and computer restarts.
    5) Return to (1), but this time power stays on.

The computer worked rock solid up until now. Here's my configuration:

Q6600 at 2700 MHz (mild overclock)
    4 x 1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC-1066 DDR2
    8600gt
    Audigy 4 Pro
    Corsair HX-series CMPSU-520HX psu
    Samsung 500 GB SATA2 drive

I tried a few things, including resetting the CMOS, removing and replacing the RAM, booting without RAM whatsoever, and creating a bootable flash drive with the flash utility and image on it (with an appropriate autoexec file). None of these worked.

Any ideas? This was a main work machine for me at home. Thank God my employer bought me a new laptop!!

Thanks, guys. -- Paul

<!-- / message -->

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3R Fails to Post after Failed Flash

If @BIOS fails during a flash in windows you will need to RMA the board.

Flashing in windows is never a good idea. Does it search your drive for the backup BIOS? Were you using RAID?

Wouldn't fixing that be precisely the job of dual-bios?
    Either way it's Gigabyte's fault, so they should replace it.

I had a very strange hangup with @bios under vista once too - really scary but seems i was lucky. So for the record: never use it under vista.
    Under XP 32-bit i used @bios a lot so far and it never was scary and always worked..
    GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
    i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
    32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
    Seasonic G-550

Yeah, I used to use it in vista myself. But the more I read daily about BIOS failures the more I regret ever using it, and never will again that is for sure.

Yes, it SHOULD be the Job of dual bios, but it does not work as they planned I guess. Quad Bios has the same failures, and it is 2 chips, with 2 additional virtual Bios's

Yes, they will RMA the board for you, here is where you would do that >>>
    RMA

they should just give you 2 bios chips and 2 slots in the board, one primary, one backup, then use a jumper to switch from primary to backup, which you can then use to recover the main one

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Yes, I've always been wary of flashing under windows, and so I was one of the last hold-outs of using a floppy to do it (as well as keeping a backup floppy in the machine, just in case). However, after 3 years of successful flashes under windows with my previous Abit AI7 board, coupled with the "assurances" of a dual BIOS, I finally reached that comfort level. Evidently, that was a bad idea! :)

In answer to some questions:

1) I don't see any hard disk activity that seems to suggest a search for a backup BIOS when I boot.

2) I don't have a RAID array.

I'll have to start the RMA later. For now, I'll have to decide whether to buy a new board locally or just a drive enclosure so that I can get at my data. I suppose I can just work on my laptop while I wait for the RMA.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. Between the price, solid Japanese capacitors, and dual BIOS, I thought I was buying some quality hardware. -- Paul

We have seen that, but come to the conclusion that GA should use Replaceable chips, because the current Quad/Dual method apparently does not work properly or there would not be 1000's of RMA weekly due to Bad BIOS flashes or reboot cycles.

I think it is a great idea, but just does not work. If it did work properly there would be no bad boot block RMA's.

I am not putting GA down so much as trying to make a suggestion to make the Quad/Dual BIOS thing actually work properly, and not need RMA when it fails.

Thanks for the article, Janus. It's an interesting read. Too bad it didn't work out this time around. I just finished disassembling the PC and will be mailing my RMA tomorrow or the day thereafter. Apologies for having shown frustration above, BTW. -- Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information