Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Restarts

Default Re: Random Restarts

I don't have another but thought I would run down to Microcenter tomorrow and pick one up. Since the problem is intermittant, I'll need to let it use that supply for a few days if the problem doesn't come back right away. If it does come back, I guess the motherboard would be next. Then I could RMA the bad part and return the new parts and just pay the restocking fees. I've built 5 computers previously and never had a bad part so this is very frustrating. Ive always used Gigabyte Motherboards and never had to tweak any voltage settings if not overclocking. In the past, auto has always worked for me since I pretty much keep everything on stock settings. I'm not playing any games. Just pretty much doing Photoshop CS3 & Lightroom and other photo related plugins and programs. No email installed on this computer so no chance of getting anything and no searching, etc. Use a different computer for all that so no chance of getting anything bad. But now this !!! Driving me CRAZY. Thanks, Bob

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Are you SURE this >>>
    the lights and fans were flickering as if trying to turn on. It did this for maybe 10 seconds and then stopped without turning on. The same thing happened 2 or 3 times
    Was not reboot cycles? If not, then sounds as if it could be a PSU issue, do you have the 8 pin or 4pin plug for the CPU? Surprised 1000W would be bad, but anything could be wrong. I would suggest if you do get a model to test you can buy a smaller one like 600 or so if you wanted just to test as long as it had the voltage on the 12v rail to support your GFX card

And did you try the settings I suggested aside from the voltage for your ram? Sorry about that I thought you meant +.5.

I di try changing voltage settings but no luck. Power supply has both but motherboard has 8 pin (you can use 4 pin if that's all your power supply has). I used 8 pin. It seems to happen only when first booting up. Once computer has remained on longer than 15-20 minutes, it becomes very stable. Since my initial problem this morning getting started, it has now been on around 4 hours. There are no heat spikes or voltage spikes.(I have monitor programs running in taskbar while working to see if anything goes wrong, but like I said, once it's running, you'd never know there was a problem. Most people are suggesting it's either the Motherboard or Power Supply. Is anyone very familiar with this particular board (Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4)? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with this board? Thanks, Bob

Thermal Issue?

It doesn't seem to be a thermal issue. When I check in the bios, it never had the temp above 36c and I've been keeping CoreTemp open in the taskbar as I'm working throughout the day (after my problems this morning getting started, computer is now running almost 13 hous without incident. I ran Prime 95 for about an hour (blend test), and temps were never above the mid 40's centigrade. Since then, Ive been working on photos with Photoshop CS3,RNDS Retouch Pallette (a retouching program,} a sequential photo opening program 9Iopener), and Lightroom all open and constantly using and switching back and forth, and temps were never above 36 centigrade on any core (according to CoreTemp). Problem only happens when I first try to boot up computer. Once it's going beyond 15-20 minutes, I don't have a problem. If I turn it off and try to restart right away, I don't seem to have any problem. But once it sits off overnight, I run into trouble.

I still say this is a voltage/ram settings issue. Did you try All the higher settings I posted? If you left some of those ram timings out that is fine EXCEPT for the refresh to act delay.

Please try that setting changed at least, and the voltage bumps I suggested. You may also need some additional Vcore

If you want/can please post a image/images of your MIT page after you try the settings I suggest, maybe you are missing something. Coming from a cold boot and having recycling issues means your settings are not correct. Haveing HIGH QUALITY parts and board and leaving it on auto is just asking for these issues.

Overclocking or not Nothing should be on auto. Auto In my Opinion is for those who do not know what to do, and to get your board fired up the first time of course.

All things should be manually set, in the pinned guide you will find instructions for finding a Baseline (Not overclocking) for your computer.

But really I think I covered all things you should set except for your CPU Vcore as that is something you will need to manually change based on your VID and your experience in whether what voltage it is on is enough or not.

Please post back what you thoughts on all that is, because I would really like to get you setup and running smoothly and just think maybe you didnt want to or were unsure of making some of the changes I suggested before

I did raise the refresh to act delay to 52 and bumped up the FSB voltage .05v and MCH
    .075v. I guess I am a little leary about bumping up voltages and ruining something so I'm going in little steps. I never had to change any settings before and all previous builds (only 4 - this is my 5th) were extremely stable. So I always assumed normal was OK. I never overclock as I build these for my work as a photographer so am most interested in stability and speed in photo editing programs. Once I get it going, this computer is very fast in all my editing programs. So I would reaaly like to get it stable. I'm going to be out on a job Monday and Tuesday so I won't be able to do much for the next two days. I'll play with it on Wednesday but Thursday out on another job all day. The weekend is when I'll finally have time to give it more attention. I really appreciate all your help and hope that you will have patience with me. Thanks again. I'll have my laptop with me when I'm working and will check in occasionally to see if their are any posts. Thank again. Bob

Well for sure 2x2gb will need at least +0.1 MCH maybe more but for sure at least +0.1

I hope I can help, and do not be too scared! Making Huge adjustments is what would be scary and I would never suggest that!

I personally always suggest a +0.1 bump to all voltages for stability and then they can be brought down as you feel the need to or have time to test with them lower (Which may prove some need even more) +0.1 is nothing to worry about on any setting

As for when you have time, try 62 on that act to refresh, if you didnt try any of the others yet that is fine, but some 2x2gb setups need 50/60 ish to run properly, and the MCH additional voltage is needed for stability because you are adding more ram then a default or auto setting would likely run on stabily.

Just remember this is all in trying to get stable, things can be undone, and I would never suggest anything that would even be close to way to much. As for those 2 suggestions (MCH and the Act Delay setting) it could be one or both causing this instability. Only testing and changing things until you find the cause can tell you for sure. Once you find it you can try to lower from there and see if the additional Voltage was needed or not. But as I said, it most likely is. I use +0.1 and sometimes +0.125-0.15 on mine and I only use 2x1GB

I answer all new posts daily when I get in (If I have knowledge or suggestions for the posters question) so If you post and I dont reply, dont worry I will when I get in. I say this because I never sign out so it always looks like I am here, but am usually not until later at night, and some afternoons

So, if you have time to play with things before you mentioned feel free, and dont be scared you wont hurt anything. And good luck until you get around to reply about your testings

Last night, Before going to bed, I decided to try a bios update as I noticed the bios my motherboard shipped with was a little outdated. I was a little leary, as I know that a mistake can spell disaster. So I first cleared the CMOS (pulled battery for 5 minutes). Then I loaded optomized defaults. Then I proceeded to update the bios. Then I went into bios and saw that all went well. Then I reloaded optomized defaults. Then I reset everything as it was before in bios. Then I booted into Windows and all was well. I shut down the computer and waited about 5 minutes and then restarted, and it started right back up. I did this 3 more times, and each time it started right up with no reboots. This morning, before I left for my job, I booted it up with no problems. I won't know for sure until I use it for a while, but it seems that the bios update may have solved the problem. I'm hoping !!! Thanks for all your help. When I get back tomorrow, I'll boot it up again and hope this success continues. I'll let you know. Thanks again, Bob

Nice! Ya if it was pretty old it may have had some bugs that the newer bios ironed out. Still you would want to get some of those settings tested and applied, but either way glad to hear you are having some better luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information