Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-965P-S3 problem with DDR2-800

Default GA-965P-S3 problem with DDR2-800

I am looking for advice on getting 4GB of RAM running on a GA-965P-S3 board. I currently have 4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM sticks at DDR2-800. I believe it matches that specified on the boards memory compatibility list.

The problem is that the system will not POST with all four. With two is fine. With three, it is mostly ok, but sometimes gives issues. With all four installed POST always fails, returning either a continuous tone, a repeating beep, or silence and a blank screen.

I have verified that all four sticks work individually, and the board was previously fine running 4x512GB at DDR2-667, so everything seems in order.

Is this is known problem fixable by tweaking voltages or other settings? I tried +0.1V on the Northbridge and/or on the RAM as suggested elsewhere but that alone did not fix it. Are other settings relevant?

Alternatively is this a fundamental problem, that the board will not work with DDR2-800 if all the slots are populated? Should I RMA these (even though they were the recommended option) and replace with 2x2GB and/or DDR2-667?

Thank you for your time!

System specs, as much as I remember:

GA-965P-S3 (Rev 1.0), F12 BIOS
    4x1GB DDR2-800 Kingston ValueRAM
    Intel Q6600 CPU
    GeForce 8800GT
    2x150GB WD Raptor drives
    Antec TruePower 500W PSU

The OS is Vista64, but it doesn't get to that point.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-965P-S3 problem with DDR2-800

What are the Voltage settings you tried? I would think you would need +.1-.15 on MCH and FSB

I've just tried with FSB +0.1 and MCH +0.1 and then +0.2 (no 0.15 option). No success.

In case it helps, I tried reseating the 4th DIMM a few times with MCH +0.2. Two attempts case a continuous tone on POST. Two attempts just sat there with the fan running. One rebooted repeatedly after a few seconds on each time. The only thing changed between these was reseating the RAM.

Try this

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]

CAS Latency Time_______________5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________15
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________Auto
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ Auto
    Write to Precharge Delay_________Auto
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________42-62 Try higher first (This is normally needed for 2X2gb kits, but could help with this issue
    Read to Precharge Delay__________Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] Or whatever your RAM sticker says
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.2V]

Then again you could have some faulty or loose Memory slots since you said you had issues with the other sticks as well

Thank you for your advice. I did try several combinations of these settings but it still isn't booting with all four DIMMS.

I'm starting to suspect you may be right. The DIMMs all appear fine, I've tried lots of rearrangements and combinations and it doesn't seem to matter which DIMM is which. However, the fourth slot appears problematic, and I cannot appear to boot with a pair of DIMMs in the 2nd and 4th slot, although the same pair work in the 1st and 3rd slot, and the 2nd slot is ok on its own.

The only thing odd about this is all four slots are fine with 512GB DDR667 sticks on default BIOS settings, its only the larger/faster sticks that cause problems and worst with slot 4. Maybe this slot just has less tolerance for faster ram than the others. Is that kind of variation between the slots common?

No that is not common between the slots. It sounds to me from the testing you have done that possibly your slot 4 is faulty and can only handle (Because of maybe some bad connections) single sided chips. Which Is bad I would say, RAM if you can handle the wait without a board, and still have RMA time allowed.

Or you could just buy 2X2GB sticks and use 1+3 slots.

Another thing I would test before thinking of RMA is the same things over again, but with a fan on the NorthBridge. 965P boards have a VERY hot NB, I replaced the paste on mine (Which you may want to do anyway, because mine was only partially covered and with to much at that) with some NON conductive paste. If you do not wish to do the paste replacement, at least try those tests again with a fan on the NB to see if that helps, pushing 4 sticks thru there would be very hot and could be the issue.

I bought a Thermaltake Extreme Spririt II For my NB on my P956-S3 and it works great

ADD MEMORY voltage?

Changing the RAM voltage did not resolve the problem.

I will follow your advice about putting a fan on the Northbridge. The heatsink does get very hot. The memory problem is present even on a cold boot, though, so that may not be the cause.

A faulty fourth slot seems most likely, as the old RAM was single-sided. At this point I think I'll try 2x2GB DIMMs and hope that works in slots 1 and 3.

Many thanks to you both!

I decided to play it safe, and go with 2x2Gb at 667 MHz. That works a treat, I had to go to +0.1V on the Northbridge but otherwise it boots at stock settings. I also took your advice and put a 40mm fan on the Northbridge, which is now a bit cooler.

Thanks for helping figure out a solution.

Did you redo the paste on the NB? If so use non conductive paste. But I do suggest it if you have not, my DS4, and my old P965-S3 the NB was partially covered, and with too much on the side that was covered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information