Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: P35 Motherboards and DPC Latency Spiking

Default Re: P35 Motherboards and DPC Latency Spiking

I have this issue on a X38 DQ6. Is there a fix for me?

Just wanted to share my personal solution for these DPC latency issues in the hopes that someone else might benefit. I had a pretty random latency patern in DPC Latency checker with occasional spikes blasting way over the 16000 microsecond line and my audio sounded like crap. I got a newer beta bios from Gigabyte which evened out things on average but every 4 seconds there was another massive spike. I pulled all the optical drives and eSATA connections off the motherboard and the problem went away - nice smooth 30-40 microsecond latency. I put them all back assuming there was a loose connection and the problem came back. Then I noticed I had an eSATA cable connected to one of the ports on the back, but not connected to any drive. I reached down and pulled it off and my latency spikes vanished.

In short: Check your SATA connections and don't leave "empty" eSATA cables connected.

I hope that helps someone.

Cheers,
    LlamaDragon

That is a good tip and I want to check out with the non beta bios now to see if that is the underlying problem. Really, that seems like a bit of a bug to me, the unused eSata should not be causing interrupts to happen like that. The whole point is to have an unused eSata port that you can plug things in when you want to use it. but it would be nice if we can pinpoint this as the cause of the problem.

I have done some testing on this. It happens on a fresh format , with or without any device drivers installed. I installed in ide/ahci/raid mode same thing. No esata connectors either. Happens with or without Sp1.

I attached a pic of my latency on X38DQ6
    Attached Images Attached Images P35 Motherboards and DPC Latency Spiking-latency3-jpg 
    Last edited by badonkadonk; 04-26-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So.... Is it supposed to look like this?

How long do you run this application?

Edit: Oh umm even that is not great. They should Ideally be the same as the smallest ones without any spikes..

Also if you look in Vista performance logs there are many critical errors complaining of system degradation, windows components taking too long to start up, slow boot degradation...wtf is going on?? There is one common component, Gigabyte boards. Asus doesnt have this issue.

This is good:
    Attached Images Attached Images P35 Motherboards and DPC Latency Spiking-goodlatency-jpg 
    Last edited by badonkadonk; 04-26-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Well, I dont see any real effects. I watch streaming video and music just fine, but that is not my main thing. I dont make or watch that type of thing daily so I may never notice it I guess.

Overall my system runs great, very great

Yes alot of people dont notice it but its still not good for performance as is not normal. The main guys that notice it are people doing audio editing etc, running audio hardware and software and there are some mega threads about it around the net. I have poor performance that may or may not be related to this issue and its very frustrating that i cant solve it even with fresh format etc. I have been troubleshooting for a couple of months on and off. This is my second X38 DQ6 and it has the same problem.

Gigabyte are providing bios fixes for p35 boards so they acknowledge there is an issue , but you have to ask them for the bios thru tech support. I am waiting on a reply from Gigabyte about X38DQ6 bios fix but i feel like giving up on this board and going back to Asus because they dont have this issue.

I feel it has something to do with the AHCI bios on this board that seems to be buggy.

Well have you tried not using AHCI?

Gigabyte has been great to me for the past 2 years since I switched, but I dont do anything like you mentioned above so I would likely never notice that issue
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-02-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Disabling AHCI in the BIOS has no effect on the DPC spiking, at least on my system. I have the beta BIOS, and with all the same hardware and software, including AHCI, there are no spikes. The only problem I've seen with the beta BIOS is that I cannot change the CPU (vcore) voltage. I would think that would be a necessary and easy fix for the official release.
    I think that proves it is a BIOS issue. And it does make a large difference in audio performance with ASIO drivers. I went from not being able to use a buffer of 64 samples on my Delta soundcards with the last official BIOS, to being able to use it with the beta BIOS with room to spare. For low latency recording, that is very important.
    Last edited by aspenleaf; 04-26-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: bad typing

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information