Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: P35 Motherboards and DPC Latency Spiking

Default Re: P35 Motherboards and DPC Latency Spiking

Thanks again. I figured it out and went back to bios f5 (from f9; first I tried the newest -- f10 -- and it was the same as f9, in terms of dpc latency). f5 lowers the dpc latency a bit; it's no longer in the yellow. It's not as low as my other machine (an athlon dual), but it's better. With any luck gigabyte will address the problem completely, some time soon.

I just installed beta BIOS F3n and here's the unimprovement.

Before at least the spikes to 1000 were not constant.......
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

woah thats bad hemirick. I have a bad feeling theyre not going to be able to fix it properly. I think its a PCB design problem or they would have fixed it by now and its so widespread across all Gigabyte boards. I hope for Gigabytes sake they can fix it or they will lose alot of customers.

Quote Originally Posted by badonkadonk View Post
    woah thats bad hemirick. I have a bad feeling theyre not going to be able to fix it properly. I think its a PCB design problem or they would have fixed it by now and its so widespread across all Gigabyte boards. I hope for Gigabytes sake they can fix it or they will lose alot of customers.
    I have been watching this on a few forums and I think / hope that it is a bios issue and therefore easily fixed. One thing to watch out for is any significant performance decreases due to a new bios if it arises.

If no fix then I think it would be some warranty / RMA issue for defect, although I am unsure how Gigabyte would be able to handle this since the problem is widespread as you mentioned. Bought mine on my Visa which might offer me an alternative if it comes to that!
    EP35 DS3P (F4 bios), Q6600 @3.0GHZ, Zalman 9700, 4GB Mushkin 6400 EP, Corsair 620HX, Antec Nine Hundred (2 intake front, rear and top exhaust), Sapphire HD4870 512MB, 2X Raptor 150GB RAID 0, Xonar DX, 2X DVD Drives, Dual Boot XP Home and Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Hang in there guys. The Beta bios that Janus sent me brought my DPC latency down to like 10 (as in ten). What you are are showing is definitely a problem and either your BIOS is doing it and they will fix it, or you have to also consider that there are many other things besides your BIOS that can contribute to poor DPC latency, including bad kernel drivers, for example. Try to see if you can use other tools to identify which drivers are causing the problem. Perhaps there is more to your problem than just the BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewdman42 View Post
    Hang in there guys. The Beta bios that Janus sent me brought my DPC latency down to like 10 (as in ten). What you are are showing is definitely a problem and either your BIOS is doing it and they will fix it, or you have to also consider that there are many other things besides your BIOS that can contribute to poor DPC latency, including bad kernel drivers, for example. Try to see if you can use other tools to identify which drivers are causing the problem. Perhaps there is more to your problem than just the BIOS.

Yep its true there could be other causes but in my case i have tested with a clean install of windows and no drivers installed. (well except for basic windows drivers.)

Its good you had a good result with the bios. I have heard some people say it fixes it, some people say it improves, others say its the same and a few had worse results so i dont know. For me it improves but is still there.

Hopefully the final will solve it completely for everyone.

Well you do have some drivers installed. IDE controller, Video, USB, built in audio, etc. Any devices that are on your PC and working correctly when you run this basic windows install are potential causes of DPC latency as they each have kernel level drivers associated with them.

Also, which chipset are you using?

Try disabling everything you can, one at a time, to see if you can figure out what might be causing the yellow latency readings.

Someone else on another forum mentioned that they eliminated the DPC spikes by not using IDE mode for their hard driver controllers. But that brings with it, its own set of headaches as you have to install the drivers during XP preinstall, which is a royal pain. Anyway, if you can pinpoint a particular device causing the problem it may help you or Gigabyte to figure out how to fix it.

Most people are not reporting results similar to yours. Most people that have been complaining about the DPC latency spikes see somewhat normal latencies, with regular "spikes". Your results are flatline yellow, which to me says something is seriously wrong, but may not be the same problem we have all been talking about on this thread and in some other forums, where the Beta Bios seems to have cured just about all of us.

I just ran the latency checking program on the same BIOS as above that reported such terrible results and now only have the occasional but very regular spikes to 1000. Weird. Better but still not completely right.
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Quote Originally Posted by Dewdman42 View Post
    Well you do have some drivers installed. IDE controller, Video, USB, built in audio, etc. Any devices that are on your PC and working correctly when you run this basic windows install are potential causes of DPC latency as they each have kernel level drivers associated with them.

Also, which chipset are you using?

Try disabling everything you can, one at a time, to see if you can figure out what might be causing the yellow latency readings.

Someone else on another forum mentioned that they eliminated the DPC spikes by not using IDE mode for their hard driver controllers. But that brings with it, its own set of headaches as you have to install the drivers during XP preinstall, which is a royal pain. Anyway, if you can pinpoint a particular device causing the problem it may help you or Gigabyte to figure out how to fix it.

Most people are not reporting results similar to yours. Most people that have been complaining about the DPC latency spikes see somewhat normal latencies, with regular "spikes". Your results are flatline yellow, which to me says something is seriously wrong, but may not be the same problem we have all been talking about on this thread and in some other forums, where the Beta Bios seems to have cured just about all of us.
    I dont think its reasonable to suspect basic windows drivers as the culprit. Even if they were, are we supposed to disable a basic feature that runs properly on other boards.? If it were a windows driver problem we would see bad latency on all motherboards from all brands.

How do you claim the beta has solved it for just about everyone? Thats not what i am seeing.

This latency thing is wierd because its different everytime you reboot. If you have bad latency you can reboot and it will be better.

Can anyone from Gigabyte confirm they are working on it or have they done all they can do?

Well you're right, I can't account for everyone. An awful lot of people got great results from the bios update though. talk to Gigabyte support. its possible you have a faulty piece of hardware too.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information