Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R v. 1.1 & E8400 - should it POST without a BIOS flash?

Default GA-P35C-DS3R v. 1.1 & E8400 - should it POST without a BIOS flash?

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my new build and could use some help please.

The system does not POST. Thank to a tip I saw posted here yesterday, I've got a speaker ordered from Ebay, but for now, I'm debugging the POST error in silence :(

Hardware:
    GA-P35C-DS3R (version 1.1)
    Gigabyte 2600XT silent pipe II video card
    Crucial Ballistix RAM PC2-6400

For now I've removed the HD & DVD drive in the system.

The system will power up, and then about 10 seconds later it reboots. After this initial reboot, I've left the system on for 5+ minutes and it didn't reboot again. It sounds like this is the correct behavior...when it recognizes that it can't boot, return to some default settings. At no point in this cycle do I ever get video.

What I've done:
    1) Pulled mobo out of the case and put it back in. Made sure there were no extra motherboard standoffs, triple checked all of the connectors to the front of the case.
    2) Reseated RAM
    3) Tried just one stick of RAM at a time (I think I tried each stick individually).
    4) Pulled the CMOS battery out for a few minutes and put it back in.

1) Should the system still be able to POST, even though it definitely does not have the latest BIOS? I'm thinking that there's some sort of default "safe" mode for CPU's that the BIOS might default to.

2) Is there an LED on the board that might indicate whether or not the motherboard is powered up? (Because it reboots only one time, I'm pretty sure the mobo is powering up correctly)

3) Maybe the system is posting, but I just can't see the video for some reason. Is there any way to fully automate the BIOS flash process, like with a USB key? Or is my only option here to purchase a cheap CPU just to do the flash? I HATE to waste money on something I won't need after a few minutes. I just took a quick check on ebay, and everything there is more expensive than newegg!

Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R v. 1.1 & E8400 - should it POST without a BIOS flash?

Well since you cannot see the post to tell if it is a BIOS after F6 which is where 45Nm cpu support was added then no way to be sure, but it is LIKELY older BIOS that does not support the 45nm CPU's

You could try a PCI or other PCI-e card to be sure incase it isnt the BIOS if you have one, in that situation to check if it is the card that would be bad.

But yes, likely the BIOS you have in there just does not support the CPU. You could borrow one from a friend? To flash with, or if you want to buy some cheapo you could always buy a OEM Pentium D for 60$
    Do the flash then return the CPU or sell on ebay>>>
    Code:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3319863&CatId=1970
    Or Here is E1200 for 39$
    Code:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3594545&CatId=3587
    Ohh to answer your questions by #

1. No if the BIOS does not support the CPU there would be no post. Since you say you get post but no screen, I am unsure if that is a sucessful post or not. Could be a bad card, maybe not. Only a case speaker would tell you that for sure, or a Card switch out

2. No onboard LED

3. No automation but you can flash via USB. Yes, I would borrow or buy some older 775 CPU to be sure or wait on your case speaker

Thank you for the quick response, and for posting the links!

I'm not a big TD fan, so I'd probably go with this one from newegg:

Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116040
    Probably be the same price after shipping anyway.

BIOS rev on this board is most likely F2 or F4. I didn't notice that 45nm core support wasn't added until F6. Thanks for pointing that out. Oooh...which means that the E1200 might not be a good choice either. It wasn't supported until F10:

Code:
    http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2524
    Unless I can find a cheaper CPU locally tomorrow, looks like I'll be placing another order. I'm really surprised not to find any old used parts on ebay or craigslist. But I guess this is a super low end CPU that I'm looking at, not exactly the hardcore upgrade market :)

I'd feel kinda dirty sending the CPU back. Maybe I'll find a place with a high restock fee to make me feel less dirty :P

Ya, newegg for me too! I just happened to be at TD and seen some cheap prices for ya.

Ya I didnt notice E1200 was 45Nm either! Ya, either way be sure you get 65nm cpu, and great thing about newegg is you can return that CPU after you flash it no questions asked, just be sure to do it within 7 days! Newegg restock fee is 15% so you will get stuck with that and not feel so bad!

You could find a Pentium D 925 on ebay probably for around 50 as well or less.

No one to borrow one from for a day? Or a older PC around the house?

You could always wait and see with your case speaker, but that IS likely the issue, the CPU

*EDIT*

Why you say F10 anyway? F6 is 45nm support. Is E1200 45nm anyway? I dont think it is, but I could be wrong, I dont often look at cheap CPU's, But TD doesnt say anything about 45nm or anything like a 45nm cpu

*EDIT AGAIN*

Newegg says 65Nm for that celeron, it should work with any BIOS on that board. But yeah if it is a newer one, then go ahead and be sure and get something old. P4! HAHA
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-22-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You could find a Pentium D 925 on ebay probably for around 50 as well or less.
    I found a Celeron for $39 shipped from Directron. Same return policy as Newegg. I couldn't find any cheaper "buy it nows" on ebay.

No one to borrow one from for a day? Or a older PC around the house?
    No 775's unfortunately.

You could always wait and see with your case speaker, but that IS likely the issue, the CPU
    Yeah, I bet you're right. It'll only cost me like $6 to find out :)

*EDIT*

Why you say F10 anyway? F6 is 45nm support. Is E1200 45nm anyway? I dont think it is, but I could be wrong, I dont often look at cheap CPU's, But TD doesnt say anything about 45nm or anything like a 45nm cpu
    Look at the gigabyte link I posted above. It lists supported CPU's. It says that one wasn't added until F10.

Ohh, I was going by The BIOS lists, not the CPU support list.

6$ to find out.... I think more then that since you are not waiting on the speaker and buying a CPU now.

Well, at least you know if you buy new retail CPU some ebayer will likely pay the same or more then you did for it if you list it right.

Good luck, Hope that is the issue and not your PCI-e card!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    6$ to find out.... I think more then that since you are not waiting on the speaker and buying a CPU now.
    Great point :)

$6 for the speaker, $9 for shipping (I paid for 2 day air today and it looks like they won't ship until Friday , which means I have to wait another weekend beyond that to swap the proc out ), $6 restock fee, then probably another $9 to ship it back...ok, $24 for the processor and then another $6 for the speaker :)

Hopefully it'll all be worth it, and I don't run into the same issues many other folks are reporting here with that board.

Ohh, ya confused me! Why did you pick the 6$ speaker? The other guy was selling them for .99 + 1.99 shipping

Well good luck with the issues, post back when you get your speaker and or CPU

I ended up getting an E2140 off ebay for more than I wanted to pay, but I figure there's more resale value.

I decided not to screw around and just install the speaker first to see what the POST code was. Instead, I pulled the board out and swapped in the new CPU.

Put everything back in, powered it up and yep, that was the problem!! Went through 3-4 BIOS flashes (F4/F6/F7/F9 I think), powered down, everything out, e8400 & everything else back in, powered it up and it worked!!

Thanks for your help Lsdmeasap!!

I even broke one of the cardinal rules of PC building - never start a new project after 10pm. Finally got everything up and running a little after midnight (I spent way too much time with the Arcticlean on both of the CPU's).

Now I need to go figure out what the plusses and minuses of AHCI are. So far, I'm just confused. I've seen your suggestion to disable it, but if it's supposed to offer better performance, I'm thinking I should enable it. Off to research...

HAHAH ya I have that rule as well!

Glad to see I could be of help to you, and that your new 8400 is up and running!!!!

If you have seagate 7200.10 or newer drives the only benefit you will see will be NCQ which will already be used either way. It does offer hot swapping if you need that, if not dont use it, as It does slow down boot time, and often causes other errors

Well man, Have fun with your new board, and of course if you need help getting to 4Ghz Feel free to post about it here for help

Thread Information