Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H post errors

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H post errors

GA-MA78GM-S2H
    2x2G DDR2 800 RAM
    4450E
    IDE CD-ROM with Ubuntu Live-CD loaded
    no hard drive
    analog monitor connected to on-board VGA, no other video card
    USB keyboard & mouse

This machine will not post with the CD-ROM connected. It's a working CD-ROM in the same case it's always been in. When I turn the machine on the fan spins up but there is no beep and nothing on the monitor. Reset CMOS and still nothing.

Detatch the CD-ROM (so there is no boot device) and I get the following behavior...

Machine will not post (no video, no beep) unless I first reset CMOS. If I reset CMOS I get one normal beep and the following menu on start-up:

POST error occurs
    Profile 1) Default
    Success Boot Record Last Known Good
    Success Boot Record 1) 1 times
    Success Boot Record 2) 1 times
    Success Boot Record 3) 1 times

DEL Setup F1
    Continue Boot Enter
    Select Profile

and a 15-second countdown timer.

If I select a profile the screen goes blank and we're back to doing nothing at all. Or I can hit DEL to go into BIOS. Things seem to work as I expect. I re-load CMOS settings as the manual recommends after a reset and make a couple other changes and then save&exit.

Now the screen goes blank and we're back to doing nothing. Turn the machine off and back on and still nothing. No beep, no video. I have to reset CMOS again before I can see that POST error occurs menu, or get to BIOS.

Connect the CD-ROM again and it won't post even if I reset CMOS. Disconnect CD-ROM and it will post but I have to reset CMOS before I start the machine, every time.

Any clues?

Thanks,
    Amy
    Last edited by amyhughes; 04-25-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: What the hell happened to the formatting?

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H post errors

I got it to boot with the Linux live-CD in a SATA drive (with no IDE device connected). Maybe a bad IDE controller? I do need it to work since I'd planned to install an OS on compact flash using an IDE adapter. Will post again once I've tried that. Right now the Ubuntu disc stops at an orange screen of death :) Not going to blame that on the MB.

With a compact flash IDE adapter plugged into the IDE header I get a beep and the energystar screen and then the screen goes blank. If I hit DEL fast enough before it goes blank it says "preparing to enter setup" and then the screen goes blank.

Bad IDE controller?

Setting boot order is apparently not enough. I removed everything but the CD-ROM from the boot order and now it gets further.

It gets to "verifying dmi pool data" and hangs.

The compact flash card is recognized as "TRANSCEND" as Master, but of course it has no operating system on it yet. That's why I'm trying to boot from CD-ROM.

Is there a way to get past "verifying dmi pool data"?

Same thing happens with a SATA compact flash adapter.

How does one connect an unformatted drive to this damned thing?

Seems to be my boot order isn't working. It'll try to boot from anything that's connected *other than* the CD-ROM, despite the CD-ROM being the only boot order device I haven't disabled. I'll make a separate post.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Maybe you cannot install to CF? I have never heard of doing this.

I do know some IDE connectors wont work to install windows with a CD drive and hard drive on the same cable because of I/O reasons

Compact flash is not the issue. It does the same thing with 3.5" hard drives.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I reset CMOS once again, and now I'm back to the original problem:

This machine will not post with any potentially bootable device connected, IDE or SATA. The fan and the CDROM spin up but I get a blank screen and no beep.

If I reset CMOS *again* I get the energystar screen, and if I hit DEL fast enough I can get enter setup, but when I save settings the screen goes blank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information