Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H boot order not working

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H boot order not working

This board will boot from anything I have connected *other than* my CDROM, despite having disabled every other device in the boot order.

Here's my BIOS settings for boot order:

First Boot Device [CDROM]
    Second Boot Device [Disabled]
    Third Boot Device [Disabled]

I have an Ubuntu Live-CD in the CD-ROM drive. If I have no other boot devices in the system it will boot from the CD-ROM. If I have a formatted drive with a Windows installation it will attempt to boot that and get as far as the Windows splash screen before returning to the safe menu. If I have an unformatted drive in the system it will hang on "verifying DMI pool data".

What am I doing wrong? I just want to boot the thing from the CD-ROM so I can partition and format the drive and install an operating system, but having an unformatted drive in the system makes it unbootable.

Does the boot order work on this board?
    Last edited by amyhughes; 04-26-2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: once again, what the hell happens to the formatting when I post?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H boot order not working

IS this a SATA drive? What are your settings for memory and such, maybe you need more adjusted there because the memory is not stable enough to load windows so it keeps rebooting or hanging. Had you used it before with no issues and the same hardware?

Once again. It shouldn't even try to boot from the windows drive, but it does. The windows drive was put in there just to test this. That it does not boot from the windows drive is not at issue. That installation was not for this machine, so I do not expect it to boot from it. I very much expect it to *not even try*.

This is a new system. If I remove all potentially bootable devices except the CDROM I can boot from an Ubuntu Live-CD. There's a memory test utility there. I ran it for an hour. It found no trouble.

If I connect any potentially bootable device in addition to the CDROM it will not boot from the CDROM no matter the boot order I've specified.

So, if you connect a device NOT on the IDE cd cable that fails as well? Have you tried not using the boot order menu, and manually selecting the boot device by using F12 at boot time?

I currently only have a SATA CDROM connected, and I can not get it to post unless I reset CMOS.

If I reset CMOS and start the machine and hit F12 I first get the POST error occurs menu, and if I then hit F1 to continue booting I do, indeed, get the boot menu. But at this point the keyboard doesn't work, so I can't make any selections.

Hmmm well that is even more strange! Sorry though I am not so clear about the AMD boards and their errors so I cannot say for sure what is causing this.

Did you flash the board previous to these errors happening? If so it sounds like It may have been a bad flash. Can you flash again from DOS at all?

Do you have proper memory settings and voltage setup?

No, I did not flash. If it needs an operating system for flashing then I haven't gotten that far. This machine has never run an operating system other than the Ubuntu Live-CD. In 2008 I'm not sure I could figure out how to run DOS :)

This board will flash from a USB drive, right? I have one of those.

The memory settings are at default, in the two yellow slots. They are DDR2 800. The processor is an Athlon 4450E. The memory checked OK with the memtest utility on the Ubuntu disc.

NO flash can and should be done in DOS with a floppy or via Qflash with a USB.

You can try disable USB legacy Storage detect in the BIOS sometimes that causes errors, you will have to re-enable that if you try to flash the BIOS though, just a heads up there.

You do need BIOS F3 to use that CPU, which your board may or may not have. I am not sure about that because I do not know how old the board is or the cpu for that matter, I am clueless when it comes to AMD. But I do see that BIOS only came out 2008/03/04 so that may be the issue. Here is the page for that
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)

You can try to flash to that, maybe the CPU is unsupported. But I would think it would not boot at all if that was the case, but again AMD so I am unsure.

Good luck, I will be back after a while..... Have to go make dinner

Now that the thing will post reliably I'm able to get the boot menu (F12 on startup) and select CDROM. It still boots from disk, though. Select CDROM and it boots from disk.

Summary...

Boot order is not working. No matter what I put in the First, Second and Third boot devices, it will boot from *anything except* CDROM. Unless CDROM is the only boot device in the system.

That is,

First Boot Device [CDROM]
    Second Boot Device [Disabled]
    Third Boot Device [Disabled]

It will boot from disk.

Select CDROM from boot menu and it will boot from disk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information