Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Strange boots

Default Strange boots

So I just built my new computer a couple of weeks ago and so far haven't had any problems with it except this strange issue. For some reason if I put my computer in sleep mode I can't wake it up. When I press the power button it shuts of for 5 seconds then turns on for 5 seconds and so on. The only way to stop the cycle is to turn the power supply switch off and then the computer boots up normally. None of the bios settings get changed or anything.

Another strange issue is sometimes when I don't turn my computer for a couple of days or if I unplug my computer for like 5 minutes when I hit the power button it turns on then shuts off for 5 seconds then turns back on and boots normally. It only does this cycle once it doesn't do it multiple times like what I have heard with other gigabyte board users. None of the bios settings get changed or anything.

Other then those times I don't have any boot problems with the computer.

I'm just wondering if these issues are normal with this board or if they indicate that there could be something potently seriously wrong with this board and it should be RMAd?

Specs
    Intel Xeon X3360 @3.21GHZ
    G.Skill 2 x2gb sticks @ 504mhz PC8500
    700 watt OCZ Game X Stream
    Evga 8800GTS
    gigabyte-x48-dq6, Thermalright-ultra 120 extreme, Aero extreme turbine fan
    150GB SATA western digital raptor, 750GB SATA western digitial hd

My system is OC but I have done memory tests and stability tests and have so far found it to be stable.

Thx for any help in adv.

Default Re: Strange boots

Try running it at stock speeds...When i tried to overclock too far, my computer would go into an endless boot cycle, lyk urs... it would turn on then off then on then off...

Or maybe try relaxing some of the OC settings or supply more voltage if necessary.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by randomness View Post
    Try running it at stock speeds...When i tried to overclock too far, my computer would go into an endless boot cycle, lyk urs... it would turn on then off then on then off...

Or maybe try relaxing some of the OC settings or supply more voltage if necessary.
    I really don't think its the overclock because if I had a bad overclock I think this would happen more randomly or all the time when I started up my computer. Like I said it only happens if I put my computer into sleep mode or after not starting my computer up for a few days.

This seems more and more like theres some setting in the bios that I need to change or something like that to fix the problem.

The most common answer I've seen to resolve the sleep problem is upping the memory voltage....but don't go over 2.1-2.2Volts
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I suggest Dont use Sleep or face RMA, as for the double boot, you may not be as stable as you think. How long are you running your stability tests, and which are they?

Well these are my settings
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ [8] <<<----CPU Multiplier
    Fine cpu clock ratio +.05
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [378] <<<----FSB Speed (Front Side Buss)
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66D] which equals 504mhz on my setup so my ram is running under its recommend speed which is 533mhz.
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ [5]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 7 ____ [5]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____7 ____ [5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)________20 ____[15]
    These are the stock timings that G.skill commends.
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4_____[auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay______4____[auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay______8_____[auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay__________68___[auto]
    Read to Precharge Delay_______4_____[auto]
    Static tRead Value____________6_____[auto]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust____0_____[auto]
    Command Rate(CMD)____________2_____[auto]

******** Clock Driving & Skew Control ********

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    (G)MCH Clock Skew Control [normal]

******** System Voltage NOT Optimized ********
    System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.20V] which makes my ram run at 2.016v and G.skill says the recommended voltage range is from 2.0V ~2.1V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [manual]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [manual]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [manual]
    Load line calibration [Enabled]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.20625v] (Maxim recommended voltage for the X3360 is 1.23750v)

With the stability tests I ran latest version of memtest86+ for 12 hours went through about 18 tests no errors. To test the cpu I ran the smp 64-bit version of prime95 for 12 hours no errors eather.

Also I set my system back to stock settings and I still can't go into sleep mode I get the constant reboot cycle when I try to wake the computer up but I will just not use sleep mode like you said and I don't use sleep mode personally so thats no big deal. I also unplugged my computer for about 10 minutes and when I start up my computer I don't get that 1 time turn off for 5 seconds and turn back on thing. It just boots without turning off once and then turn back on and then booting.
    Last edited by fire_storm; 04-26-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm Looks pretty good, except I see where a issue could lie in long term stability, I would make the following changes at least. Auto is not best, especially for high end components. But G.Skill would need to tell you the better FULL subtimings, All I could do is suggest, but what I suggest here is for sure needed for 2X2GB >>

Refresh to ACT Delay______________[52-62] << Start higher and test your way down to the low 50's

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1 - +0.125-.150] Needed for 2X2GB as that is stress on the MCH without voltage and could cause errors in long sessions or after long period of stress or running

As for memtest, run test #2 for about a hour then let test #5 run for 12 hours, that is where it would fail if it is going to. If you need to know how to run tests by # let me know

Sleep = RMA Please dont make me point this thread out to you in a month or two

Have you ever ran Orthos Blend for 12-20 hours on priority 1? Just wondering as I see you use Prime95, I think it is the same anyway though
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-26-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm Looks pretty good, except I see where a issue could lie in long term stability, I would make the following changes at least. Auto is not best, especially for high end components. But G.Skill would need to tell you the better FULL subtimings, All I could do is suggest, but what I suggest here is for sure needed for 2X2GB >>

Refresh to ACT Delay______________[52-62] << Start higher and test your way down to the low 50's

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1 - +0.125-.150] Needed for 2X2GB as that is stress on the MCH without voltage and could cause errors in long sessions or after long period of stress or running

As for memtest, run test #2 for about a hour then let test #5 run for 12 hours, that is where it would fail if it is going to. If you need to know how to run tests by # let me know

Sleep = RMA Please dont make me point this thread out to you in a month or two

Have you ever ran Orthos Blend for 12-20 hours on priority 1? Just wondering as I see you use Prime95, I think it is the same anyway though
    I guess I'll have to try some of the things you suggested.

I usually don't run memtest86+ on just test 2 and 5 but I will give that a try.

I have tried to run orthose but for some reason weather my computer is on stock settings or not I click start and then it says "this program has stopped working" so I think that it is a comparability problem with windows vista 64.

Also I updated my settings in the post above just before you posted so they may be different then before just to let you know.

I have same problem with my p35-ds3l starts then stops then boots normal.. but this only happens when i overclock my FSB past 251 and remove ac power say over night .
    now running at 350 FSB only get start then stop on first bootup of the day after that i can restart with no start then stop unless i remove ac power. everything has been working fine Just a minor inconvinece the first start of the day

If you find a fix please post back and i will do the same thanks
    Last edited by big2john; 04-28-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    GIGABYTE - P35-DS3L
    INTEL DUAL CORE - E2160
    OCZ - DDR2-800 2X1gig
    RADEON - X1650
    550 watt psu
    WD 160 sata drive

Thread Information