Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair pulling problem with my EX38-DQ6

Default Re: Hair pulling problem with my EX38-DQ6

I've taken out 2 of my ram modules, leaving me with 4GB, and the system at this moment, is running stable - for the first time in I don't how long, Prime95 hasn't shutdown my system (yet - fingers crossed). Although it has only been running for about 25 min, which is not long. Beats my record of 30 seconds so relative to that, it's a vast improvement. Current RAM is set at 667.

I haven't OC'd the CPU. I won't until I'm sure it's stable at stock. I've come to the conclusion that this mobo really is not up to supporting 8GB of ram in a stable condition, so I may have to leave the 2 Modules out. That really sucks but at this stage, I don't have any other options.

A server motherboard, though more expensive might have been a better choice. I shall see how things go. I might wait 4 months and buy 2 4GB modules from OCZ or GSkill. Price will hopefully be more affordable then..
    Thanks for your responses anyway dude!

Catchya

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Glad to see you are getting somewhere. I do see people getting 8gb to work, it is just hard as you see. Not like 2X1gb that is for sure.

I would say once you get the 4gb stable and back up to 800mhz and then stable you cant add back in the other sticks one ata time

Just have to have time on your hands to play with voltages and such, alot of time. Putting together a high end system is easy, but getting it running smoothly usually isnt as easy. But you know that, I am sure you know you would have no issues with 2 or 4gb.....well maybe some smaller headaches with 4 but you know what I mean.

Well man, glad you are getting somewhere. So did you not ask, or are you not getting a direct answer for 8GB subtimings over at Corsair's site? Just wondering

Well I will be back later tonight, good luck with your further testing and getting things going better!

Keep in mind.....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

*EDIT*

I HATE SPAMBOTS

And...They make 4gb single sticks? News to me, sounds great
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-30-2008 at 10:12 PM.

I tried the blend test using Prime95 (with just 4GB in), and once again, complete freeze up, so no luck there I'm afraid. In case this sounds confusing, the stability I briefly experienced was using the standard stress test. Unfortunately blend always brings my system to a halt. I'll have to check my voltages - in my "I'm over it" state I may have set them on auto.

This time, I decided to ignore Prime95 and loaded up a really heavy after effects project, and set up multiple big renders (animation geek speak, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about...;) ), just to make sure that Prime95 itself is not the problem. Sure enough, after 5-10 min, complete freeze.

All this was with my ram modules in slot 1 & 3 (correct config according to my mobo). This morning I have put those same modules in slots 2 & 4 instead. I will find out later today from my wife ( God bless her ) if my machine is still rendering those files.

Concerning the 4 GB modules, GSkill and OCZ Technology recently released some 4GB sticks. I may buy some later when the price drops. I have a feeling, that either I have a bad module, or a defective ram slot. Time will tell. The Corsair support forum has a list of subtimings for all their memory, however, nothing definitive on what they should be if you have 8GB installed.

Run memtest86+ V. 2.01 so we can see if this is a memory issue or a cpu issue, you could need more cpu volts. Please run a full test, then by using "C" you can choose test #'s, after full test run a hour or so of test #2 then a hours or so of test #5 and let me know how that goes >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

That wont be a FOR sure thing to show memory, but better then blend telling us nothing. Ya know you should also run a small FFt test on prime95 and see how long that goes, that will test the CPU only hard and tell you if it is the CPU only as well

You are only running the ONE instance of prime95 right? I see several people still trying to run double or quad of it, and there is no need anymore since it does it with one windows open

How much Pagefile do you have, and what do you have prime set to test for the amount of ram? It does often freeze if you set it to test too much ram and you dont have enough pagefile and ram. Sometimes be default it is set too high, try lowering it a bit. It should by default be set on 8MB. I leave it there actually, as you do not need to change it, that is for users who do run it all day everyday in search of the actual use of the program, to find the merssene prime #

Here is the latest version 25.6 Build #6
    |MG| Prime95 25.6

Make sure the "Start at bootup" option is not selected for Vista OS!!!

Hey, why again do you not use Orthos? It is the same, and causes less x64 related errors from what I have seen, maybe you should try that as well instead >>>
    Orthos_20060420.zip

Well, you SHOULD ask in the forum, they will give you a answer I am sure. You spent $$ on 8GB of their ram, they betta!

I ran memtest about a week ago on all modules seperately, and every test resulted in the whole system freezing up so I think there is a problem with the mobo. I was hoping i would be the ram - much easier to replace. There is one way to really find out and that is stick the modules in my friends machine.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Prime95, so I only have to run one instance of it. I haven't played around with the settings at all, so I'm assuming it is using the default settings. I haven't tried Orthos yet. I think I might give that a go. At least then, if I experience the same crashes, I'll know that it's not application related.

I did ask in the forums again about subtimings for 8GB, but no answer. I may ask again...

Well, sounds like bad ram to me! Yeah test the stocks individually on a different system, with default settings for the ram at stock speeds and it they fail RMA them for sure!

Yeah, I suggested orthos just to see if it is the app or not messing up, default settings is good for both

Well that sucks, I will see if I can find a Corsair Rep for you at a few overclock places I am at and try to get a definite answer for you about that, and I will point out your thread to them as well.

Here is your thread (Incase anyone wants to help there from here)
    Recommended Sub-timings for PC 6400 C5 (8 Gigs) - The Corsair Support Forums

Ya know, I cannot believe they suggest to you to run THEIR 800Mhz ram at 667Mhz That just tells you right there the ram isnt the greatest if you have to run it slower then specs just to run. Just so you know, refresh to act is the tRFC they suggested you to change to 52, which I suggested 52-62 to start with as well. Just wanted to let you know incase the names of them confused you

Hey, if you can afford it, BUY < MUSHKINS They ROCK, and have superb support
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-02-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Ok, I found a Corsair tech Rep (Mike Clements), and have PM'd him over at [H]ardForums. Hopefully he will reply with better subtimings for you then I could suggest, or reply here or their in your threads which I linked him to both

I ran memtest about a week ago on all modules seperately, and every test resulted in the whole system freezing up
    Memtest should run even if the ram is bad....What version of memtest86+ 2.01 right? And you've updated the BIOS right? Mine board wouldn't run memtest without doing weird things until I had done both of these. Then it would run and detected bad Crucial Ballistix then I got some GSkills and my MB has been happy as a clam.
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Well he replied and As I see you have found your answer!!! Here was his reply>>>

Thanks, and please reply here to me so I know to tell him you at least got this message

Thanks
    Lsdmeasap/a573573
    Seems like he had a bad module.Recommended Sub-timings for PC 6400 C5 (8 Gigs) - The Corsair Support Forums

If that does not solve it, the advice from DerekT and RAM GUY is pretty solid. Tweaking subtimings with 4 modules is about useless and tedious. However, with some NBv tweaking he should be able to run 4 good modules at 800 or bette
    I see in your thread there it was a bad module! Well at least you got it all solved now, hopefully.

Good luck with your new sticks!

I've only just read the past few posts.

Thanks alot Lsdmeasap for taking the time to chase this up for me. Yes having to run my ram at 667 for stability is pretty slack - after all they are rated at 800Mhz. I took my computer in today to a local computer store, and they tested my machine with one of their modules and that seemed to work fine - no crashes.

Personally I think, even though it is stated that this ram is compatible with my mobo, that the two do not like each other. It surely couldn't be possible that all four modules are bad. The most recent tests I've done is try 2 modules at a time in each different config - Slots 1 & 3, then 2 & 4. I've done this with the other 2 modules as well. All configs produced crashes.

I have a feeling that if I buy some gskill, or ocz, or mushkin, my problems will go away. A sure test would be to buy a 2 x 2GB stick of one of these brands, and do the same tests. Could be the NB on the mobo playing up - maybe a dual channel mode problem. Don't know. Anyway, thanks again for spending the time to get this resolved. I'll keep you informed of any further developments.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information