Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hair pulling problem with my EX38-DQ6

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Hair pulling problem with my EX38-DQ6

Glad to be of some help, even though it may be little.

Ya I agree, when a company suggests you underclock their product just to get it stable then that isn't a good sign. I thought you just had one bad stick, but sounds like they all are. You should have had the shop also test your ram on there setup while you was there, but either way it doesnt sound like good ram to me working or not!

Mushkins Are always on sale at newegg, so are G.Skills I think 80$ or so for 2x2 of either right now

I'm curious. Have there been any cases before with anyone here where all four sticks were bad? I am very close to sending my mobo back to the supplier, given all the post crashes I've had. I really don't want to, as it means disconnecting everything. Or is it just a case of not so much faulty, but crap ram? Would you see this as 95% memory problem? Have there ever been cases of faulty memory controllers at all?

I understand that no of us can know for sure until either mobo or ram is replaced. Just want to know if you think these symptons point to the memory. As a last note, I'm not the guy who asks for advice and then blames the advisor if things go south. Whatever happens, happens.

Well yeah that could happen if you overvolted them way high and for a long time.

Can you go to a friends and possibly test each stick one at a time in Memtest86+ ?

That would be best, it is likely they are not all bad. Have you tested them all separately at stock everything on your board? Well I mean stock CPU, and 800Mhz on the ram?

I would think it is maybe a bad stick, but only testing separately can tell you, and possibly in a different pc if you think your board is bad

The most amount of overvoltage I've done is +0.2V, and that was only for a very short period. I took my ram modules over to a friends house and tested them. I used memtest + and received no errors. I couldn't stay long so I didn't run the tests for long.

I also used orthos and prime95, blend test for both, and there were no crashes. So, either a)The mobo can't stably support 2GB Modules, b)The mobo is faulty, or c)It's a compatability issue. Personally I think my ram is not compatible, so I am going to sell them, and buy some new modules(different brand) and see how that goes. If the problem still exists, I'll know that its the mobo.

Ahh well if you didnt get to test for long that doesnt say much then! But yeah It could be incompatibility issue for sure.

And by overvolt I meant way over the spec voltages, Which I doubt +.2 is so you would be fine with that.

So likely it is just compatibility issue with that ram, I would say buy off the ram list for your board to be sure there is no issues. But I personally dont, but have never used over 4gb myself. But I have used Several models of Mushkin on several Gigabyte boards with ZERO issues, so I can say those are fine and not on the list at all. I also know several people who use 4GB of G.Skill with Gigabyte boards, so if you do not see any on the list for your board you like I would suggest getting either one of those brands.

Both have very decently priced 2x2GB packages normally, but if money is no issue or you just would like my opinion I would get Mushkins because of the warranty, and customer support forum for overclocking help. They have a superb forum with quick reply, and a Lifetime warranty and that DOES cover overclocking which they strive to help you do on their forum

I had a look at the memory compatability list for my mobo at the giga-byte website, and mine isn't listed there, although they say due to such a large range of memory modules, the list is not essentially complete.

I know the Corsair website says my memory is compatible, but from what I've been told, they go for universal compatability. So, I am going to sell mine (while I can still get a decent price for them), and buy some new modules that are on the list. I will let you know how things go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information