Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H Does not detect any SATA drives

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H Does not detect any SATA drives

OK, i just built this computer and it's not working.

I am thinking the power supply might be the cause, but I hope not.

I'm using an Antec NSK1300 (Aria) Case, with it's included 300Watt PSU.

Now I know 300 watts is on the smaller side, but should still be sufficient.

I have the following:

1 Lite On SATA DVDRW
    1 160GB Western Digital SATA drive
    AMD 4000 X2 Processor
    1 2GB ADATA memory stick

And that's it, everything else is onboard.

The computer POSTS fine, I can get to the BIOS and change all the settings, but it does not detect the DVD or Hard drive.

Now on the motherboard voltage levels, it lists the 12v rail at 11.92, I don't know if this is within spec or not. But I think if the board powers up it would detect the drives connected to it, right?

Any ideas?

I have tried disconnecting the DVDROM and just leaving the HDD connected but that didn't help. I"ll try leaving the HDD unplugged next I guess.

Thanks for your time.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H Does not detect any SATA drives

That should be ok, unless the PSU is indeed junk. +/- .5 is fine on the 12v

Have you tried different SATA ports? And have you tried different SATA cables? If they are SATAII drives and you are using SATAI cables it could cause issues. Usually not other then speed loss but ya never know.

Do you have another PSU you can try? Even a small cheap one, as you are right I would think that should be enough to power that. But ya, it could be a junk PSU, often that is what you get "Free" with cases.

Well I tried another power supply, different SATA cables, different hard drive.

Talked to Gigabyte phone support, it seems that the SATA ports are just dead.

Does anyone else who has this board notice that the little spring clips holding the southbridge heatsink on is very loose? Or is it just me. Because I noticed while changing cables and everything that the heatsink doesn't seem attached very well, and I can wobble it back and forth. So maybe the chip fried out.

But I will be sending the board back to RMA where I bought it from....now I am worried about getting the same board....this kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth....I was all excited to build a computer for myself for once and I have to deal with problems.. :( oh well we shall see what happens.

Does anyone else who has this board notice that the little spring clips holding the southbridge heatsink on is very loose?
    This is normal the little springs are the only thing holding the heatsink on the thermal pad on the chip....it works, but removing the pad and replacing it with Artic Silver 5 works better!
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You can also replace the springs with screws if you want to, just be sure not to tighten things too tight, especially if you do the NB

Quote Originally Posted by drdoug99 View Post
    OK, i just built this computer and it's not working.

I am thinking the power supply might be the cause, but I hope not.

I'm using an Antec NSK1300 (Aria) Case, with it's included 300Watt PSU.

Now I know 300 watts is on the smaller side, but should still be sufficient.

I have the following:

1 Lite On SATA DVDRW
    1 160GB Western Digital SATA drive
    AMD 4000 X2 Processor
    1 2GB ADATA memory stick

And that's it, everything else is onboard.

The computer POSTS fine, I can get to the BIOS and change all the settings, but it does not detect the DVD or Hard drive.

Now on the motherboard voltage levels, it lists the 12v rail at 11.92, I don't know if this is within spec or not. But I think if the board powers up it would detect the drives connected to it, right?

Any ideas?

I have tried disconnecting the DVDROM and just leaving the HDD connected but that didn't help. I"ll try leaving the HDD unplugged next I guess.

Thanks for your time.
    I just put in the same motherboard and WD HD I think ( the 160 Sata Caviar) and it showed up under default BIOS settings as IDE but i think there is an option to change controllers but haven't tried it yet. Vista installed onto it fine and it shows up under my computer. The WD 250 GB HD that hasn't been formatted yet doesn't show up except under Disk management tools where it appears as Disk 1 and the 160 Gb drive is Disk 0. Can you see it there?

Thread Information