Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will Ninja fit on the EX38-DS4?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Will Ninja fit on the EX38-DS4?

To disable UAC double click your user picture, then click the last link "Turn User Account Control on or off"

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    To disable UAC double click your user picture, then click the last link "Turn User Account Control on or off"
    What is your take on Vista? Make any sense going from XP Home to Vista Ultimate or Premium? Most of what I read seems to indicate there isn't any speed advantage using Vista, and some say it is actually slower than XP.

Go Ultimate!

Those who say it is slower have crap PC's and are giving in to the whole "Vista Sucks" talk from when it first came out, like when XP came out

It is awesome, my vista is faster then my xp for sure! But you do need to have a decent build, and at least 2-4Gb of ram

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Go Ultimate!

Those who say it is slower have crap PC's and are giving in to the whole "Vista Sucks" talk from when it first came out, like when XP came out

It is awesome, my vista is faster then my xp for sure! But you do need to have a decent build, and at least 2-4Gb of ram
    Oh, I had the itch and now you give me the bite. I was all set to go with my XP for a nice easy install for the new build, and now I am likely going for Vista Ultimate and entering into the unknown.

First, I have this baseball game that is 2-3 years old, MVP Baseball 2005 for PC that is a must have. Do you know if it will work on a 64-bit Vista Ultimate OS?

Let me know if you think my new build will cut it:

MB: EX38-DS4

Memory: G. Skill 4GB RAM

CPU: E8400 Wolfdale

Video Card: nVidia 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 Core Clock: 680MHz

Memory Clock: 1900MHz DirectX 10

Sound Card: I don't think my Montego DDL has Vista 64-bit drivers so will have to get Creative SB Audigy or one of their cards that have Vista 64-bit drivers.

HDD: Hitachi 320GB SATA2 300

Monitor: Will support Vista.

I checked my present system with Vista Advisor and know my keyboard and mouse will be fine in Vista Ultimate.

I was going to put in a Floppy drive and any reason that would be a problem? I use the Floppy drive for Hitachi feature tool and also memtest86+

So, let me know what you think before I go ahead and order Vista Ultimate. Best price I found so far is $289 with free shipping for full retail version, which I prefer rather than going for an upgrade.

Well as you know it is different, not just a upgraded XP, things are in different places and in general the system is just different. Just so you know.

All that "Vista Sucks" is just hype from people who wont get with the change! It did kinda suck when it first came out and not many drivers were working, but all that is fixed now, and SP1 is out and has many improvements.

Surely you have a XP install disk anyway right? If so, and you hate vista you can always sell the vista on ebay or elsewhere and go back to your XP. I just say this because I have installed Vista for a few customers who only a week later brought back their pc's to have Xp put back in. They just I think could not handle the change. If you are up for it then you wont have any problems, just takes a week or so to get used to where things are and to get it tuned to your liking

About your game. I done some googling, and found this post saying it works fine Vista x64 (page #2 Last Post) >>>
    ExtremeTech Discussions - Grading Vista 64-Bit plus RAID 1 No More

As for your other things that looks fine for vista. I am not sure what to suggest for sounds, I use the onboard RealTek on my DS4. But I dont game or have a huge sound system so you may just have to ask which is best for that. Hopefully someone here will suggest one for you.

No Problem with the floppy, I use mine still as well, for memtest86+ and RAID Driver installs

YA, I dont really think keyboard/mouse/monitor need to be vista compatible anyway, I have used a old 1980's monitor and a old HP keyboard before in vista and had no issues

And yeah, you want a NON Upgrade version, always of any system. Upgrades always leave junk behind and mess up systems in other ways!!!!

Here if you are in the US, get this Vista Ultimate (Retail OEM System Builders x64 SP1) >>>
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

If you do not live in the US let me know where and I will see what I can find for you, or you can just look where you see what you said you found, and then look for 64bit OEM, that is all you need anyway. Retail just is offered for those who may want to call Microsoft up and actually try to get them to help you with something... which no one ever does, so OEM is the way to go.

Be advised, 64bit vista will not let you run unsigned drivers. You can but you will have to push a certain button everytime you boot which is a pain. If you dont have any worries about that then you are good to go, if you do use unsigned drivers get 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by JVM View Post
    One other question I have is before installing OS, should I install just 1 stick or is it all right having 2 sticks in?
    Put both sticks in.

Lsdmeasap,

Believe it or not, I have used Microsoft for technical help, and they were quite good! So, I am inclined to pay more for the full retail version, which also gives me 64-bit Ultimate; however, looking at that price on Newegg and realizing the difference is $100 dollars gives me reason to change my mind.

I don't have any plans to use unsigned drivers. All the hardware I plan to use will have signed drivers or drivers from Windows Update--I do not want any issues! ;-) I checked my 9600 GT on the Vista Hardware compatibility page and could not find my nVidia 9600 GT listed, which is probably due to Microsoft not having up-to-date information on my card, and that kind of makes me nervous.

Thanks for checking on my baseball game and confirming there will not be any issues. So, I am ready to get rolling into the biggest jump since I installed XP, and all that along with a new build should keep me busy, probably won't have time for baseball.

The biggest issue I have encountered so far in my pre-Vista 64-bit installation is choosing a sound card. I did see one Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio card listed as Certified for Vista, but some reviewers on newegg said there were issues with the card and 64-bit Vista, very confusing and very annoying.

I will keep XP on my Hitachi SATA2 160 GB hdd and install the new OS on a Hitachi 320 GB SATA2 drive, just in case.

I do have one BIOS question for installing the hard drive, but I will start a new thread for that one.

Meanwhile, I want you to know that I really do appreciate all your help.

Nvidia Is where you would get signed drivers for that not MS, and they have them so you will be fine with that 9600

Hopefully someone will chime in about sound cards! you can also review all the other Gigabyte boards newegg reviews, and see what everyone says about x64 and sound cards, surely you will find the answer there!!

And hey, No Problem. I help when I can, and to the best of my knowledge and glady will let you know if I am not so sure about something as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information