Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX38-DS4 Heatpipe mod?

Default GA-EX38-DS4 Heatpipe mod?

Got one of these on the way, will run it with tuniq 120, E6600 (to start), 4G Geil DDR2 800, evga 8800GTX.

For overclocking though, I see in the sticky post here that I should pull the heatpipe off and put a fan on it. One of the main reasons I bought this mobo is to have a silent system.

Since I think my cpu will be my rate limiting factor not northbridge heat, should I still put this fan on? I get using arctic silver 5, but I really dont wand a fan.

Any info is appreciated! Also any other overclocking guides with this mobo would be cool too :)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EX38-DS4 Heatpipe mod?

Yeah, that will work fine, you will need some adjustments to run 4GB but Im sure you knew this.

Well, that heatpipe comment was mainly about the 965P boards as they were VERY hot, you likely wont need one on EX38, but with 4GB you might want one. But if not, yes at least redo the paste, I suggest NON conductive since there is other bare pins in there, but if you know what you are doing you can use AS5

When you get your build done and need some overclock help post back Ill help ya

Ah thats good to know that I can just go the no fan route. The AS5 was for the CPU actually, I havent bought anything for the pipes. Can you recommend a good one? Ceramique?

Im actually pretty new to this, Ive spent a lot of time overclocking my old board (680i) but dont know much beyond what I read in the guide here (nice btw!).

What do I need to adjust for 4G ram?

Thanks!

Yeah Ceramic, Or TX-2 or MX-2. TX-2 is what I use on my CPU and Heatsinks

For your ram settings, I would use this and work your way down changing one setting at a time and test for stability and then move on the changing the next setting.

For the CAS settings, I would need to know the specific Model of Giels you have, or you can just put them in, it will be on the sticker.

Start with highest, change one at a time, and test, change one, test, change one, test and so on.

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 11-14
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 (Leave on Auto, 1-31, or 0)

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] <<< Set to your Ram stickers Voltage setting +.3 is 2.1V
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V]

Cool, ceramique it is. I know the timings on the ram, 4-4-4-12 this is the stuff:
    Newegg.com - GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

What is it about 4G? Does this overclock differently than 2G or its just more power=more heat? I was figuring it wouldnt be any big deal to go from 2 to 4, but maybe that is not correct?

Well, 4GB is just plain different. More stress on the NB. They are both harder to overclock with 4x1 being harder then 2x2. And either way they just need different settings all together, and 2x2 different then 4x1 because of the different amount of ranks on the modules.

Ram is all trial and error anyway, We could have the same exact sticks and yours could run at way better timings then mine with the same board and CPU, just all depends on the chip under there...Even if they are the exact same. Luck of the draw mostly. Some will run way tighter timings then listed as spec, most will often run spec timings at lower voltages then stated.

In the end, it is always a long night or two of trial and error if you want to overclock, or tighten timings up at stock. Unless you are a AUTO type of guy, which I would not suggest nor would you I bet since you asked

Lsdmeasap,

I'm using a GA-EP35-DS4 with 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 -800 and a Q6600 running at 8x400. My MB temps, as read by the sensor, are ranging from 32 to 35c. At 9x333 they were ranging from 28 to 30c, and at 9x266 were usually around 25c. Do you think these are acceptable? I've tried to find some info on acceptable temps but haven't been able to get a solid answer. They feel cool to slightly warm if I put my fingertip on the heatsinks and RAM. I haven't re-pasted the silent pipe heatsinks, but I have some TX-2 I used on my CPU heatsink. What kind of temp drop could I expect by re-pasting?
    Thanks.

Well those sound good to me, I got a drop in NB temp by 4-5 degrees when I done mine. My Idle temps for X3075 @ 425x8 are 32 normally, and 34ish under load. Memory at 1:1 so 850Mhz, with MCH voltage at +.1 and FSB +.1

Sounds like it would be worth doing. Do you have any advice to carry out the procedure? Can it be done with the motherboard in the case?

NO, it must be done outside the case because there is pushpins you need to pinch in the back of the board. Just get some needlenose pliers and be careful.

It is pretty self explanitory once you have your board out of your case and look at it, pinch pushpins and push thru. Simple! Just dont break them or you will have to replace with screws

Thread Information