Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SATA BIOS Question

Default Re: SATA BIOS Question

Me worry? Never.

I do have the DOS disk from Hitachi. However, I think it would be easier to format after installing Vista, as long as Vista recognizing the drive and it shows up. I may have to give the drive a designation letter, can't be A or C and I don't think D or E so maybe W for worry. Unless almighty Vista gives it a letter that I can't change.

By the way, the only real concern I have is that Vista doesn't want unsigned drivers, which a lot of people seem to dislike as well. But, seems like there shouldn't be a problem because ASUS, maker of the sound card, claims the card is for Vista OS 32 and 64-bit.

I should have all the parts by Friday. Until then, I will just bug you with more questions.

I don't see any reason not to do the format in Vista for my backup drive, unless you have a reason to do it via the DOS disk.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well the only reason I suggested to do them in DOS is because some drives you just HAVE TO, others can be formatted with anything. But since you have the tool already then you likely have used it before or at least know what I mean

Do it in vista is fine, if you can. You may find you cannot install vista without doing it to either of the disks first to be able to install. Some disks are just not set active until formatted by those types of tools, others work fine out of the box, just depends

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Do you have vista installed yet? If not it is likely anyway that you will need to use the DOS disk tools for your drives from the manufacturer to format the first time.

If not and you already have vista installed, you can do as suggested above. Right click your computer and choose manage, then on the lower left you will see disk management from there you just would right click the drive and choose format

If you need the DOS disk tools for your manufacturer let me know who it is and I will get you links, best to do this anyway for both disks.
    I thought the Hitachi Feature Tool had that provision to Format, but I just discovered it does not. So, if you can give me the link to Format Hitachi's hard drive, I would appreciate it. If you can't find it, I imagine it could be done in Vista.

I read at Hitachi it is not needed anymore, so you should just be able to format it normally with vista

I read at Hitachi it is not needed anymore, so you should just be able to format it normally with vista
    Two questions:

1. Is it all right to format and partition in XP and install drive in Vista system as a backup? I just need confirmation, for as you know I am a worrier.

2. About partitioning, I would like to have say A, B, C, partitions but don't know how it works when I want to send files from main drive to drive with partitions, never done this before. How does it work?

This is not RAID but just main drive and backing up on the drive with partitions.

Yeap, if you can format it (As I believe you can) you can do so in any environment, XP, Ubuntu, DOS whatever

You will see A, B, And C in your "My Computer" as separate drives. Just copy and paste or move as usual

Yeap, if you can format it (As I believe you can) you can do so in any environment, XP, Ubuntu, DOS whatever

You will see A, B, And C in your "My Computer" as separate drives. Just copy and paste or move as usual
    Thanks, you are really great!

One of the reasons I stuck with Gigabyte as opposed to other brands is you! You provide excellent support and make this forum better than all the other brand motherboard forums. I don't know how you find the time to help everyone, and I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate what you do and how you do it.

Thanks for being there!

Much appreciated!!!

Ya I LOVE Gigabyte myself, Wish they would give me a Job with them!!

What I would like to know is how do people find this place anyway? I mean Gigabyte doesn't announce it anywhere that I have seen. And I dont remember how I found it. How did you end up here?

I did a search on a Gigabyte board looking for reviews and found this forum, and glad I did!

This is the best forum dedicated to Gigabyte boards, and it's because of you!

Just thought of another question for your expertise:

What's your take on Spread Spectrum Clocking being disabled or enabled?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information