Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SATA BIOS Question

Default Re: SATA BIOS Question

Thanks for the links, and I do have it disabled and disabled it shall remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm yeah it does! Looks like they cut those out for DS4 in X38 models, only DQ6, what a shame!!! Thats funny, I see the Gigabyte SATAII controller on the board, but no reference to it in your manual or in the BIOS. What a strange board they have made!

Ohh well, here is what you do. Use the orange for your 2 drives would be best I suppose, but it dont matter really

Yeah, you can have your drives like that in not raid, and even have more drives then you mentioned if you want. To do any # of drives NON raid, you would set the bios like this >>>
    SATA RAID/AHCI MODE : Disabled (This is PATA or IDE mode)
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode : Enabled (Allows IDE/PATA functions)

And connect the drives, that is it. No drivers would be needed during install if you do not want RAID or AHCI. You can plug the drives into any port yu want really, but would be best to use 0 and 1 for 2 drives

EIST ......
    Yeah you can leave all that enabled then if you do not plan to overclock, and I think it would be by default anyway
    Now that I have the board, I have a few questions:

1. You mention above a recommendation using ports 0 & 1 for two drives (I'm not doing RAID), but I will be using 2 SATA hard drives and at least 1 SATA optical drive, so should I use ports 0 & 1 for hard drives and port 2 for optical drive? I don't understand why they colored ports 0 & 1 yellow and the rest orange, but there must be some significance.

2. You previously said " Onboard SATA/IDE Device : Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode : IDE for IDE/PATA------AHCI for AHCI

And the same follows here as above, the Gigabyte/J.Micron Driver must be installed during OS install via Floppy"

I don't see SATA/IDE Device, but I do see:

Onboard IDE Controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) Enables or diables the IDE controller integrated in the Gigabyte SATA2 chip. Enabled or Disabled.

I will not be using any IDE drives, just 3 SATA and the Floppy. So, do I select Disabled?

3. Do I need to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

Rather than using the CD to install drivers, can I just use the latest from Web site for chipset and Lan? I will not be using onboard Audio. Also, since I'm not doing RAID, do I need the Motherboard SATA Raid driver?

Can I just install the chipset and Lan drivers and nothing else from the CD or are there other things I need off the CD. I know the CD will scan my system and offer a list from which to choose for install, but I want the latest drivers and don't know if I should even run the CD.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well, I will post my reply as soon as there stops being database errors, it wont let me post!

Nope, it does not really matter. but for Backup BIOS sake you will want to use 0 and 1 for your hard drives, because The bios backup will put itself into the first disk there if you are not using AHCI or RAID. Which you want to allow it to do, dont worry it wont ask you, nor will you see it taking up space, or see it at all for that matter.

There is a setting under that correct, It should be the Gigabyte MODE or something along those lines. Please post a picture of this BIOS page. As of now what you ask and what your manual says contradicts itself so I am unsure what to tell you for sure.

Nope you do not need to install those things, and yes you can use all the latest from the website.

I would get the intel chipset from intel, lan from Gigabyte (I couldnt find it at realtek so it may be a multi company driver they do not list). Nothing on the cd you need really >>>

Intel Inf installer (Use the Second one at the bottom, the exe)
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Realtek LAN driver
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EX38-DS4

You can get the sound driver at realtek, but you said you are not going to use it

"Onboard IDE Controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) Enables or diables the IDE controller integrated in the Gigabyte SATA2 chip. Enabled or Disabled."

Is that what you mean by Gigabyte MODE? What should the above be set at?

The Intel link you provided looks like an older version. I opened the CD and saw a higher version 8.3.1.1011 versus Intel's 8.3.1.1009.

Okay, so I install hard drives in ports 0 and 1 and SATA optical drive in port 2, sound good to you?

I will check the CD to find out which Lan driver version is on it. The nice thing about this motherboard CD is it scans your system and offers what you need showing the version of each driver, then you select or cancel out. So, I can see if the LAN driver on the Cd is latest.

I already downloaded the chipset and LAN drivers from Gigabyte's Web site.
    I am waiting for my Enermax MODU+ 625W PSU to arrive, should be here on Tuesday. I usually use Newegg but thought I'd save a few bucks ordering from another source and they sent me the 425W version. so I called and they are sending the 625W version, kind of a bummer sending me the wrong one. Anyway, I should be getting everything up and running by the end of the week.

Yeap that sounds good. As for your settings per Gigabyte I asked for a Image, since your board manual does not show having the Gigabyte/J.micron Controller or ports. They would be purple as we discussed.

I would say The CD has incorrect version #'s Intel's site would not be behind OEM builders, but who knows!! Either one would be fine, I just suggested To get at Intel because often times as you know Manufacturer CD's are way behind

The date of Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility from Intel is 9/24/07. I don't think Gigabyte is that far behind.

So you say this from the BIOS section in the manual is incorrect:

"Onboard IDE Controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) Enables or diables the IDE controller integrated in the Gigabyte SATA2 chip. Enabled or Disabled."

What if it is there? Let's just pretend that is in the BIOS and what would I select? This way, if I see it I'll know what to do.

This is what I found in the manual regarding the Gigabyte SATA2 chip:

"Storage Interface

Gigabyte SATA2 chip:

1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices"

I think the Intel chip controls SATA and the Gigabyte SATA2 chip controls IDE--which does not make any sense at all.

Maybe, and this is probably true, the Gigabyte SATA2 chip controls both SATA drives and IDE devices/drives. So, if that is the case, then those two yellow ports, SATA 0 and 1, are probably controlled by that Gigabyte SATA2 chip. And the Intel chip controls the 4 orange SATA ports.

?

I am beginning to think I should have gone with some other brand.

Well I didnt see that only the Intel mentioned in the manual I looked at, but I was looking for SATA since in the past the Gigabyte/Jmicron chip controlled IDE and RAID/SATA purple ports.

I suppose it is obvious then if you are using anything IDE enabled, if not disabled

And yeah, you see what I mean SATA2 Means SATA not IDE. But they chip in the other DS4's do control SATA2 on Purple ports, either in Native mode (IDE) or AHCI or RAID. but yeah the manual is not written very well. They should hire at least a team of americans to do the translations! HAHA

No need to switch brands, the only thing is is that you are doing all this thinking without pluggin a board in, you could answer all this yourself once it is plugged in. Meaning if you disable IDE and your IDE drive cd whatever stops then you know you need it enabled.

Stop thinking about it till you get it put together and running!!!! Your going to make yourself crazy.

All your Drive questions I answered on page one, No matter what the manual says, you should be able to see by what I wrote what is what anyway.

it is not that hard, and you are just confusing yourself thinking about it when you dont have it turned on yet!!!

Here is some more information from a diagram in the manual:

The Intel chip (ICH9R) is shown controlling all 6 SATA 3Gb ports.

The Gigabyte SATA2 chip is shown controlling the ATA-133/100/66/33 IDE channel, not any SATA ports!

So, if the diagram is correct, then the Gigabyte SATA2 chip does not control any SATA ports, which brings up the question why they call it Gigabyte SATA2 chip?

Now I know I should have gone with a different brand.

Yeah I know, I have your manual. Precisely!!! And that is why I said to you before that it is a bummer they removed it for that board's DS4 model!!!

Na, you should have gotten P35-DS4, X38/48 is a waste of cash with P45 right around the corner

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information