Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SATA BIOS Question

Default Re: SATA BIOS Question

Wait! Take another look and you will see the manual states in the BIOS:

"Onboard IDE Controller (Gigabyte SATA2 Chip) Enables or diables the IDE controller integrated in the Gigabyte SATA2 chip. Enabled or Disabled."

The key here is integrated

Now, what if that Gigabyte SATA2 chip controls both IDE and the non-Raid SATA ports, and the Intel chip controls SATA RAID? Or possibly the Gigabyte SATA2 chip only controls SATA2 ports 0 and 1, which would explain why those are yellow. Remember, there has to be a reason why those yellow ports are not orange, and that reason is...

Yup, should have gone with a different brand!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It has nothing to do with The intel chip or yellow/orange ports! They just got cheap and left the purple ports off that model. The chip is needed for IDE The real IDE cable kind, and SATA Raid or AHCI via purple ports, which are gone from that board. So it only controls the actual IDE part

The yellow and orange is like that to easier tell what is 0-1 as opposed to the rest of them, as I said you should have gone P35. I have Yellow, Orange and Purple and paid only 150 for my board. RMA if you can!!! I would

Either way, yellow orange or purple you are not using RAID so it does not matter what you plug where....AT ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeah I know, I have your manual. Precisely!!! And that is why I said to you before that it is a bummer they removed it for that board's DS4 model!!!

Na, you should have gotten P35-DS4, X38/48 is a waste of cash with P45 right around the corner
    But I want PCI-E 2.0 and the EX38 is only $25 dollars more than the P-35 DS4.

Also, the P35-DS4 has yellow and orange and purple SATA ports!

Yes, I know, That is the Board I have. It has Intel RAID and Gigabyte RAID separate.
    So does the X38/48 DQ6

As I said, then you should have waited for P45, PCI-E 2.0 is a sales scheme for now.

Boards/Graphics cards made today cannot even use the full bandwidth of PCI-E 1 yet, so it is just overkill. The ONLY good thing about PCI-E 2.0 is the new upcoming P45 and other chipsets that will allow 2 X 8x PCI ports instead of the way it splits them now where one is only running at 4x. And soon two at 16x hopefully, but that is the MAIN point of actual USE is the extra lane speed not being limited to 4x
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-11-2008 at 11:08 AM.

For a difference of $25 dollars, I see no issue going with a board that has 2.0 support now. As for the extra 2 SATA ports on your board, I don't need them, nor will I ever need them, so that is a non-issue.

I looked at the manual for your board and that helped make it clear about the Gigabyte SATA2 chip, which on my board is only for IDE.

I don't like the CPU fan header location on the EP35-DS4 board, too close to my Ninja, perhaps would be buried under the Ninja. However, the RAM slots are better placed on that board, further away than on my board.

So, with a better underfstanding of my board with regard to the SATA2 chip, I am happy and no longer thinking I should have gone with another brand.

All is well that ends well. although this saga is not over yet.

But, Gigabyte should not have called it SATA2 chip on my board.

On the other hand, I guess they had to because that's what it is.

I dont have that board. Although the pinout may be the same. I have P35-DS4 Rev 2.1 not EP35. I have plenty of room to plug in my 9700. But I have never seen a ninja up close so I dont know if you would have had room or not.

Im going watercooled here this next week! So I dont care where the Plug is after that!

Yeah it is SATA control chip, they just did not put the ports onboard is all. They are likely too cheap to make IDE only control chip so they just use the SATA/IDE one they already have laying around is all

I dont have that board. Although the pinout may be the same. I have P35-DS4 Rev 2.1 not EP35. I have plenty of room to plug in my 9700. But I have never seen a ninja up close so I dont know if you would have had room or not.

Im going watercooled here this next week! So I dont care where the Plug is after that!

Yeah it is SATA control chip, they just did not put the ports onboard is all. They are likely too cheap to make IDE only control chip so they just use the SATA/IDE one they already have laying around is all
    Too cheap? You shouldn't say that if you want a job with them.

Watercooled? Why, is it that hot where you live? Why don't you just get an air conditioner.

Default Can't use second SATA drive for data under Vista OS.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiRick View Post
    Drive manager right click on drive select format
    I think I have done this. The second drive shows up in "device manager". It does not show up under "my computer". Under disk manager or device manager options I can get it to show size and volume title I assigned to it "Vista Data HD" since I want to use it to store pictures, documents, music etc. Vista assigned the letter J to it since I have a card reader that takes most of the other letters plus an IDE DVD which is drive D.

The first HD with Vista OS shows up under my computer as drive C which seems right. The SATA DVD shows up as drive E and works fine to load new programs. Both drives are running in IDE mode which I guess is plain SATA. I have spent days searching for info on how to get this second HD to work with no luck.

Any hints or advice willbe greatly appreciated.

maybe saying Cheap will get them in gear!!!

Watercooled because I used to have it and LOVE it, na it isnt too hot here. Just looks Pimp and you can push a overclock way further

@ Pegazuz you will need to get a application such as partition magic, or partition commander and set the drive as Active, then label it again, then reboot. Without the drive being set active and then formatted it will not show up properly

Some drives HAVE to be formatted and set up initially in DOS with the manufacturer tools, which you can download from thier site or get a ultimate boot cd with all of them on it. And then Some HAVE to be done with the manufacturer tools, but can be done in windows.

What drive is this that is giving you a issue, Ill get ya the link you need
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-11-2008 at 12:21 PM.

maybe saying Cheap will get them in gear!!!

Watercooled because I used to have it and LOVE it, na it isnt too hot here. Just looks Pimp and you can push a overclock way further

@ Pegazuz you will need to get a application such as partition magic, or partition commander and set the drive as Active, then label it again, then reboot. Without the drive being set active and then formatted it will not show up properly

Some drives HAVE to be formatted and set up initially in DOS with the manufacturer tools, which you can download from thier site or get a ultimate boot cd with all of them on it. And then Some HAVE to be done with the manufacturer tools, but can be done in windows.

What drive is this that is giving you a issue, Ill get ya the link you need
    Drive J is a 250 GB WD. Ultimate Boot has the same utilties WD has on their site but the Data Life Guard tools version 11.2 for windows would not run under Vista and I couldn't find a utility on WD for Vista so I used Vista to format it.

Would utilities from another maker like Maxtor or Seagate work? Could I use a Linux Live CD to access it and re-label it?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information