Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SATA BIOS Question

Default Re: SATA BIOS Question

I partitioned and formatted my backup-to-be hard drive in XP, so does that solve the issue for Vista?

By the way, running SATA in PATA means I don't get the 300Gb transfer rate capability--only get PATA rate! Does that mean I lose performance?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So you got it active and can copy and move stuff to and from it in xp? If so then yes it will be working in vista now.

No, PATA/IDE is just native SATA mode, you will get the full transfer rate of your disk, but even in onboard RAID (Which is software as well) you don't get a full 300GB/s. Only with a $200-$300 RAID card will you get that. And in all actuality a 300GB/s transfer rate really only means a 300Gb/s max Burst speed, not copy or read rates anyway

Just be sure to look and see if your hard drive come with a jumper on it, if it did remove it or set it upwards so it is not "Jumping" anything, that will limit you to 1.5GB/s

I had to first initialize the hard drive before partitioning and doing the format (format was done automatically after I partitioned the disk).

I used the Hitachi Feature Tool to check the 3.0Gb/s setting, and it was already enabled for 3.0Gb/s. I also checked SSC while I was in there and that didn't have a mark in either enabled or disabled, so I put the mark in disabled.

So, you say PATA/IDE is native SATA and that is SATA2, very interesting. Are you certain of that?

By the way, you stated 300Gb/s but isn't it 300MB/s which equals 3Gb/s?

In addition to the above, the manual says Native IDE mode, not Native SATA. So, I don't understand why you say Native SATA.

Yes, you know what I meant!!!

I was sleeping when I answered you!! Sorry. Yeah PATA or IDE setting is fine and is SATA mode, some bios's just say it in different ways depending on how the manufacturer had their translations to English done

I don't know about this Native PATA/IDE Native SATA thing, so I would like to see the Taiwanese manual and get the real scoop.

Oh, and stop that sleeping thing, not good for you, and not good for us waiting to hear from you.

Well I just meant some BIOS call it Native, some call it IDE, some call it something else. It is all SATA mode, just it says something else so as to not confuse people with AHCI or RAID settings

Regarding AHCI, the manual states this for ACHI selection in the BIOS:

"Configures the SATA controllersto AHCImode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug."

Sounds good, but I heard that AHCI can cause a problem with SATA optical drives, and I will be using a Sata optical drive.

It seems that AHCI would be better than not using AHCI for SATA, even if not doing RAID.

Quote Originally Posted by JVM View Post
    It seems that AHCI would be better than not using AHCI for SATA, even if not doing RAID.
    This is a contradiction! Or am I reading that wrong. AHCI and AHCI for SATA if you did mean separate things, still means the same

AHCI features, NCQ, and hot swapping are the only major things. Vista enables NCQ by default AHCI or not as long as your hard drive has this feature, so it you do not need to hot swap then do not install AHCI. It's thats easy to decide

As for your SATA optical drive, if you do need AHCI then you will just have to test whether it causes you errors or not. It does slow boot times I can tell you that.

I discovered there is a hotfix in Vista SP1 that fixes the SATA optical drive issue, so that no longer would be a problem; I am installing Vista Ultimate x64 SP1.

Well, since you put it that way, seems like no need for AHCI, which I assume would require the F6/floppy install.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information