Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SATA BIOS Question

Default SATA BIOS Question

I will be installing 1 SATA2 hdd and 2 SATA optical drives in my new build using a EX38-DS4 board with E8400 processor. I read the manual for my MB and not really sure what to do in the BIOS:

1. SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH9R Southbridge)
    Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Intel ICH9R Southbridge or configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode.

Disabled - Disables RAID for the SATA controllers and configures the SATA controllers to PATA mode. (Default)

AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and
    hot plug.

RAID Enables RAID for the SATA controllers

What if anything do I choose above?

2. SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH9R Southbridge)
    Specifies the operating mode of the integrated SATA controllers.

Disabled - Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Legacy IDE mode.
    In Legacy mode the SATA controllers use dedicated IRQs that cannot be shared with other device. Set this option to Disabled if you wish to install operating systems that do not support Native mode, e.g. Windows 9X/ME. (Default)

Enabled Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Native IDE mode.
    Enable Native IDE mode if you wish to install operating systems that support
    Native mode, e.g. Windows XP/2000.

I would think Enabled but will be using Vista and that IDE has me confused since I'm installing SATA drives (hdd & optical). What should I do?

3. What should I do with the CPU EIST Function, Enable (default) or Disable?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: SATA BIOS Question

Well it all depends if you want to use RAID or not, and which ports you plug your hard drive into. To use AHCI (Which slows down boot time) you must install the AHCI driver when installing the system, and use the yellow ports.

IDE is just SATA PLAIN function

To use no AHCI, and the yellow ports you set the TOP part of the bios settings to this
    >>>

SATA RAID/AHCI MODE : Disabled (This is PATA or IDE mode)
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode : Enabled (Allows IDE/PATA functions)

And the Intel SATA AHCI driver Must be installed via Floppy during OS install to use this feature should you decide to do AHCI, same goes for RAID Via the Intel Chip the Intel RAID driver must be installed with the OS using F6 during pre install

==============================================

To use the Purple Ports which are Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller you would be changing the settings on the same page, further down towards the middle

Onboard SATA/IDE Device : Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode : IDE for IDE/PATA------AHCI for AHCI

And the same follows here as above, the Gigabyte/J.Micron Driver must be installed during OS install via Floppy

A few tips, if you do not plan to use hot swapping there is no need for AHCI even if you want to use NCQ (if you drive supports it then it will be used either way). Also if you are not planning to use a external USB hard drive, disable "Legacy USB Storage Detect" *NOTE* this may need to be re-enabled later if you decide to flash via USB, if you have floppy then do not worry about doing that just leave it off. Also I use USB Mouse and keyboard, and have these features disabled in the BIOS as well, some people find they have issues with various things with them enabled (And I dont see why they are there other then to cause issues because both my GA board P35-DS4/965P-S3 work fine with USB keyboard/mouse with this disabled)

EIST (Speedstep), TM2, C1E, and C.I.A.2. need to be disabled for you to overclock properly and not run into issues.

Once you get setup let me know if you need any help setting up the MIT section

I don't see any purple ports, looks like yellow and orange and I would be using what looks like orange in the picture.

I don't plan on overclocking, so should I enable EIST?

What I am thinking about is using a second hdd (160GB SATA2) just for the purpose of backing up files. My main hdd will be a Hitachi 320GB SATA2.

Does that idea make sense to you? If it does, I would need to format both hard drives--but not RAID, don't want that. I would manually transfer files from one hdd to the other; otherwise, if this is not a good idea, then I would use my DVD burner to backup files, which is what I may do anyway.

The thing is, I am not sure how to go about setting up both hard drives without RAID.

Hmm yeah it does! Looks like they cut those out for DS4 in X38 models, only DQ6, what a shame!!! Thats funny, I see the Gigabyte SATAII controller on the board, but no reference to it in your manual or in the BIOS. What a strange board they have made!

Ohh well, here is what you do. Use the orange for your 2 drives would be best I suppose, but it dont matter really

Yeah, you can have your drives like that in not raid, and even have more drives then you mentioned if you want. To do any # of drives NON raid, you would set the bios like this >>>
    SATA RAID/AHCI MODE : Disabled (This is PATA or IDE mode)
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode : Enabled (Allows IDE/PATA functions)

And connect the drives, that is it. No drivers would be needed during install if you do not want RAID or AHCI. You can plug the drives into any port yu want really, but would be best to use 0 and 1 for 2 drives

EIST ......
    Yeah you can leave all that enabled then if you do not plan to overclock, and I think it would be by default anyway

That strange board comment is not very reassuring. ;-)

I am also going to install at least 1 SATA burner as well, but don't see a problem with even 2 being installed. So, you have clarified the BIOS question quite well, thanks!

The only thing left, well two actually, is I have never installed 2 hard drives like this before so I need some clarification. Normally I would install 1 drive, format and install the OS, but now I will have 2 drives. I assume they both must be formatted, so I guess the Vista install will ask me which drive to format first and which drive to install Vista on. Is that how it works?

The other question has to do with what you told me previously about unsigned drivers. The sound card that I found working with Vista 64-bit does not come with a signed driver, and so I have to use their downloaded Beta driver for Vista, which according to those guys on newegg works fine. Do you see any issue with that driver being beta?

Yeap, and it will be a GUI interface not like XP so you will be able to better see which is which.

Dont mind my comment, I am just surprised they limited the DS4 in the X38 models, but not the p35 ones is all

Well a beta driver could be signed, if not it will be soon anyway. And or they could be using it via the method I told you by hitting the F8 key I think at boot and choosing to allow unsigned drivers. It can be done easily, just a pain if you forgot and a pain to od everytime if you have to

Just realized how confused I am about formatting the 2nd drive. From past experiences, I always formatted when installing the OS, but do I have to install Vista on both drives? If not, then how do I format the drive used only for backing up?

Drive manager right click on drive select format
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Where is Drive manager in Vista?

Do you have vista installed yet? If not it is likely anyway that you will need to use the DOS disk tools for your drives from the manufacturer to format the first time.

If not and you already have vista installed, you can do as suggested above. Right click your computer and choose manage, then on the lower left you will see disk management from there you just would right click the drive and choose format

If you need the DOS disk tools for your manufacturer let me know who it is and I will get you links, best to do this anyway for both disks.

Either way you are worrying yourself way to much about this, it is simple and you wont get confused... So just slow down the worrying!! HAHA Really

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information