Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35C-DS3R esata problems.

Default GA-P35C-DS3R esata problems.

Hi,

Having problems using an esata drive ( fitted into an enclosure Akasa brand)
    When used as esata and turing on the esata after windows has booted, the pc locks up till the esata drive has spun up, I take this is normal but when I come to put files on the esata drive, my pc stops responding for a short time, then the file transfer starts again, then stops. this goes on till the file or files have transfered to the esata drive. Some times the files are copied from the esata drive and are corrupt. Using HD Tach the results show massive drops in the chart that coincide with the lock ups. I have uploaded the results so hope they will show up here.

Taking files off the esata drive is no problem. I used hd tach to test the esata drive...... this is connected to the Gigabyte ( Jmicron) controller purple sockets )

Now when I take the drive out of the esata enclosure and connect it to the motherboard direct, there is no problem. If I power the sata drive from the esata enclosure power unit and connect the drive direct to the motherboard, no problems. I noticed that this esata enclosure uses a Jmicron chip in it, not sure if thats to convert IDE drives to SATA or is used to convert to USB. Any Ideas ?
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-P35C-DS3R esata problems.-esata-jpg 

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P35C-DS3R esata problems.

Have you ran a disk check on the drive? If not open a command window and run this command (Yes the Spaces ARE necessary) >>>

Code:
    chkdsk /x /f /r
    Also, did you install the Gigabyte/J.Micron AHCI controller when installing the OS? If not maybe you should as this is likely considered hot swapping by the board, but I am not sure about that..... (Just read that this is a necessary step for proper eSATA functions, so you need to install the Gigabyte AHCI driver when installing the system via F6 method) And the Controller in the BIOS must be set to AHCI (the middle settings in the bios are the gigabyte ports not the top ones, just to be clear)

Do you have the latest Intel Chipset drivers installed and not the ones on the disk that came with your board? If not here install them and see if this also helps >>>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Hi Lsdmeasap,

I have 2 sata drives on the ICH9r controller yellow ports non raid At the moment I have ACHI enabled for the ICH9r and the drivers installed for the Jmicron controller ( via windows, not through the F6 at install )

I have tried installing windows and installing the jmicron controlers with F6 during boot.

I have images of these setups:

1 AHCI for intel drivers installed at windows install, 2 no drivers installed. using all images I get the same results with or without enabling AHCI for ACH9 or Jmicron. However, I did not think to install the jmicron drivers at windows install as my drives are on the intel side of things.... I did install the jmicron drivers after windows ( from the supplied driver cd and the ones of gigabytes site )

If I put the hardrive in the pc direct to the motherboard, no problems its only when its inside the enclosure, inside is a little PCB with another jmocron chip, a switch to move from esata to usb and an IDE interface, the idea is to use either sata or ide drives through either esata or usb. Thing is, I used this esata box on my old Nforce 4 board with no issues. By the way, this also happen if I connect to one of the ICH9r ports for esata with AHCI enabled. I think its something to do with the insides of the sata box though I could be wrong.

I will run the checkdisk command you gave and see what happens, thanks for the reply... I do appriciate it a lot.

Tried the command with the esata drive plugged in and go this :

C:\Documents and Settings\Martin>chkdsk /x /f /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

So am going to reboot and see what happens, failing that I will attach it direct to the pc and try again.

Well, I mean the AHCI driver for the gigabyte ports, it is a different driver then the intel ports, and must be installed separately or also if you want to install the intel one and gigabyte one, but the gigabyte one would need to be installed pre OS to use AHCI on the gigabyte ports

And yeah, I suppose it could have something to do with that other internal controller, as the GA board is setup I believe to use eSATA by just plugging in the drive and power, and not have a seperate external controller as well, so you may be right about that as well.

Take the disk out of the enclosure and set it on your desk and hook it up by itself and see if that helps, but Since you did not install the Gigabyte AHCI controller during OS install I dont think it will work properly anyway even just by itself on your desk

Ya, I would think it may need to be attached internally to your board, but maybe not

Ok, took the drive out and connected direct to the mainboard, using the Jmicon purple socket again, first tace was direct connection to mainboard using pc power supply.

Second trace was connected direct to jmicron controller purple socket BUT using the power unit that came with the esata enclosure.. these look ok to me, but all this is kind of new to me so I could be wrong !
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-P35C-DS3R esata problems.-esata-direct-jpg 

Trace with sata drive connected direct to mainboard but using external power unit
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-P35C-DS3R esata problems.-esata-board-ex-psu-jpg 

Yeah, that looks normal, so I think it is just that external controller you mentioned inside the external case.

If you do not want AHCI hotswap feature you do not need to install that driver, but if you are using a NCQ drive (which I am unsure about any driver other then Seagate ones so I cant say if your drive is or not) Then you need to install the driver if you are using XP to enable NCQ, vista enables it by default.

So if you do not need NCQ or hotswap then I would suggest to somehow just hook up the drive (Power connection would not have mattered just so you know) in the external case, without the external controller being used. So it would be just connected to the eSATA bracket and then to the drive and not the external board. Not sure if your enclosure will allow you to do that without some modding, but that is what you want to do. Or set your drive on your desktop until you get a different enclosure

Thank you Lsdmeasap, I appreciate your help and advice. I dont have another enclosure here to use, only this akasa one, I cant really mod the case so to allow me ot connect the sata lead direct to the drive, its one of those slim enclosures. Besides I need the usb part to work on other computers from time to time.

I had a look around for an enclosure that does usb and esata ( direct to the esata on the hard drive ) but I cant seen to find one, would you know of any that would do this ? Thanks again for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information