Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EX38 DS4 New Build

Default Re: EX38 DS4 New Build

I hope you`ll excuse me for borrowing this thread, but I have about the same setup as "Cloudsdale", and I question is: what are the recommed bios settings for me? The same as for "Cloudsdale"?

My setup is: Q9450, Gigabyte EX-DS4, 4x2 gb OCZ Reaper PC8500 (OCZ2RPR10664GK), XFX 8800 GT 512 mb, Corsair 550W.

It boots in loops - cannot get beyond post. It restarts over and over again.

I boots with only one ram stick in slot 3 (DDRII 3) and I can enter the bios this way.

I have just change the CPU from a E6600. And all I changed in the bios in order for it to work was the ram timing - I set them manually to 5-5-5-auto, and that worked.

Hope to hear from you guys soon...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

you should first test your ram if possible on another board with memtest86+ to be sure you did not get DOA Sticks >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If you cant do that, see if these settings will get you working with the ram in slots 1+3

And if they work for you, then I would test your ram in your system with the below settings at the highest suggested

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333] << Default for 1333 FSB CPU's
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.00] <<< and then you would use 3.20 here for 333 above to + 1066

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

Start with the highest settings below, and tweak later if you like to lower values, moving ONE AT A TIME and test After each move

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ [3-4]
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6 / 11-14
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62 << Starting at 62 and work your way down
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10 <<< Start at 10 and work your way down ( This setting has a MAJOR impact on ram performance, lower the better... To Low and it will not boot)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave on Auto Or Zero Or 1-31 (Meaning Do not set to a value other then Zero or 1-31)

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V - +0.15V] << is a must for 2x2GB sticks
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

But it is best if you can test that ram in a different system to be sure you did not get a DOA set.

And if you find they are DOA (Which does happen) get a refund if possible because OCZ, Corsair, & Crucial Have issues I feel with GA boards. Some get them to work, some do not, but most all have issues for sure

Thank you for the quick answer. I will try this when I get home...

Good luck, And again it is best if you can to test that ram on a different system to be sure you did not get DOA. DOA ram does not always just not work, it sometimes works and causes many errors/issues and you do not know it is DOA until it is too late. SO always best to test on the first day you get new ram

You can test it on your board as well, Just be sure to use the loosest (Highest) timings above. If those fail then your ram is DOA for sure as they are very loose

Hello again

I have now tried the settings that where recommended. Still I cannot boot up with all 4 sticks. It still "loops". I have memtested the ram - no errors.

How come this is so difficult? You ought to put ind 8 gb - set everything on "auto" and thats it. How hard can it be...?

I dont want to overclock - just have at stabile system with a big pile of ram...

Any other ideas for a solution?

...and by the way - I have reset the cmos. (several times now) And for at short period I thought it was going to be all right. This was right after I reset the cmos and booted up with only a stick in slot 1 and 3 (dual channel). This worked for about 15 min - then the computer frooze and I had to restart, and now it started to "loop" again...

AUTO is only for starting a board, and should never be thought of to work properly with high end equip or lots of it. It is there because manufacturers cannot make settings for all possible hardware. So it sets AUTO so that most all boards and hardware will start for the users to input proper settings

How much MCH have you gave it? You may need 68-72 refresh to act for 8GB, I guess I thought you said 4 at first, and static tRead may need 12 but I doubt that

When you choose 4.00 for ram multi is there a letter with it? If so can you choose one without it? If not you may need to use a different CPU multi/FSB combo

Hello

I gave it +0,15v MCH.

"You may need 68-72 refresh to act for 8GB" is that "Refresh to ACT Delay" you mean?

And yes there is a letter after the 4.00, dont remember what it was. I dont think it was possible to choose 4.00 without a letter. What should the letter be? (I at work so I am not with the computer now - so i cannot check at the moment)

" If not you may need to use a different CPU multi/FSB comb" - what does this mean?

Hope Im not do difficult... ;-)

Yes, That is the setting I was referring to. Sorry if I confused you

As for the letter, that is a Front Side Bus Strap, at certain Freq the NB will run at different speeds depending on the strap letter you choose. Here is more info about all that if you would like to do some reading on it >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-...49/#post248340

I just meant if you were having issues to try without using a letter. And yes, sometimes you will not have that option unless you at at certain freq of FSB/CPU..... See below

What I mean for Different CPU/FSB combo was for example say you are 8 X 333 FSB Multi for a 1333 FSB Freq and CPU Freq of 8x333=2.664... You could use a different ratio to get the same CPU Freq but have a different FSB multi and thus have a different Memory multiplier option possibly without a strap letter. Such as 7 X 380 FSB Multi for 1333 FSB Freq and CPU Feq of 7x380=2.66, that would then give you a different set of memory multipliers to choose from

OK, try that right away when I come home.

(This might not be the last you have heard from me... ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information